Lamont Simmons (DB)

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
From what I understand the two young guys ahead of him were both 5 star guys.

I thought he was 2nd string though and set to see the field this upcoming season. Either way, I'm really glad to add this kid. Great size and talent combo.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
USC coach Steve Sarkisian spoke highly of Simmons in the spring, saying, “He’s a really good fit if you want to play a lot of man-to-man because he’s got length, he’s got speed. We’re starting to see more of the assertiveness, the physicality and the confidence.”

ramblinvak

Ramblin' Wreck
Weird when we are getting news from the GaTech twitter account and AJC. Eric certainly spoiled us with all the inside scoop he had, but excited for this pickup, nonetheless!

jacketjp

Georgia Tech Fan
If Kelly says there is no truth to the rumor, that means it's a done deal. It's his typical MO. He just wants to snuff out all the chatter so he has time to chase down info and catch up to the other sites so he can then "break" his "scoop".

Everyone remember when Kelly said there was no truth to this? That guy is a first rate hack.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
One always wonders "why" in situations like this. Was he not going to see the field in Columbia? Did he have issues with anyone there? Did he simply decide he made a mistake and righted a wrong by switching to GT now? Did his girlfriend move to Atlanta? Could be anything...but I always wonder when I hear about guys transferring (in or out).
Stockpiling talent is a double edge sword. It is hard to sit behind someone for most of your career.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
They can all stay at my beach house over Christmas!
Weekend at cheese's!
l15c3ev.jpg

Solid pickup for us that should contribute next year in the secondary.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
USC coach Steve Sarkisian spoke highly of Simmons in the spring, saying, “He’s a really good fit if you want to play a lot of man-to-man because he’s got length, he’s got speed. We’re starting to see more of the assertiveness, the physicality and the confidence.”
Wasn't there something somewhere -- preciseness is not my forte obviously -- that USC had the best program in the country, or something to that effect? Some question about not producing with it or something. Maybe this is an example of so much talent unused.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Lamont Simmons: ‘Prototypical corner’

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/07/31/2524/
It irks me no end that a kid can make a mistake at 18 in the pressure of picking a school, and then be punished for it when he is wrong a year later. Sitting out a year is reasonable, but losing a year of eligibility is not. Seems it makes no difference the sport or the level, players are always at the mercy of coaches/owners: in this case, of saying if you wanna transfer, it's gonna cost you. Why should it?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
It irks me no end that a kid can make a mistake at 18 in the pressure of picking a school, and then be punished for it when he is wrong a year later. Sitting out a year is reasonable, but losing a year of eligibility is not. Seems it makes no difference the sport or the level, players are always at the mercy of coaches/owners: in this case, of saying if you wanna transfer, it's gonna cost you. Why should it?

I've been a proponent of the Soccer (futbol!!!) loan rule and it can be applied to college SA transfers. Something like this: Give an athlete a 1 time transfer "pass" where he will not have to sit out a year, but he will have to sit out the game if his new team plays against his old team. If he decides to transfer again, then he will have to sit out a year.

You would have a LOT more kids transferring every single year if you didn't have the rule. I agree with it for the most part. I actually think it's hilarious when these young men think because I'm going to UGA, Bama, USC etc. that they're set for life because that is what they have been told to get them to commit. Football isn't everything but the younger generations only thinks NFL. Football doesn't last forever. I think that is what separates GT from the pack.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Adding Lamont with Dante & Dorian gives GT great flexibility with the corners ..
Hope to add Adair Anderson who's 6'1 - 6'2 ..
& Romeo is 6'2 ..
Great size for the secondary.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Don't forget Meiko Dotson is in the 2015 class. I'm guessing Ken left him out only because the context was around taller corners.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Our 2016 secondary and the defensive end positions should be REALLY talented. You want a lot of sacks: 1. Pressure on the QB (check). 2. Ability to cover the WR long enough to let the rushers do their job (check).

2016 is setting up to be a VERY special year for GT. JeT will be a senior, our skill positions will be more seasoned with better and more explosive athletes, our OL will be very deep and very talented, and our defense will be paced by a talented secondary and defensive end units.

I'm excited about the 2015 season...but the 2016 season and kicking off in Dublin will be hard to contain my excitement.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Mainly it's for competitive balance, otherwise Bama/Texas/USC would just save a few spots each recruiting cycle to poach the best players they missed the first time around from the smaller schools. It sucks for the kids who have legit reasons to want to transfer, but as usual the bad actors ruin it for the rest.