Kristian Sjolund to Transfer

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I feel almost certain theres no way in hell Pastner didnt want to do some roster management through the portal this off-season.

I agree and there's a way to do it that is mutually beneficial. I think that's a possibility in Kristian's case.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We are shopping but willing to take them back if we lack other options. The article on Cole spelled it out pretty clearly.
We should have better options than Didenko. I understand the play with Cole as he’s a valuable contributor, but these other guys??? We’re an ACC team in Atlanta with a great school to attend. We shouldn’t be bottom feeding.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We should have better options than Didenko. I understand the play with Cole as he’s a valuable contributor, but these other guys??? We’re an ACC team in Atlanta with a great school to attend. We shouldn’t be bottom feeding.

What makes you think that is the case? He said that about Cole but he didn’t say anything of the sort with Price or Sjolund. If you’ll bump the brakes for a minute, it’s pretty clear what is happening here.

This is an opportunity, not a setback.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
Wake me up when our fans are ready to kick in some cash and get the program some resources.

While I get the overall point, has the last decade shown much promise that the folks that would receive that cash would make good decisions with it and the resources?

The last 3 ADs/2 presidents have shown little common sense or care about the program. So I guess my wonder is are Stansbury/Cabrera any different?

GT_B

Ramblin' Wreck
I got the vibe listening to Pastner on GT60 that he was expecting guys to move on and he seemed ok with it. He didn’t directly say it, but it seemed like he was comfortable with it.

It sucks to lose cole, because I think he would be major contributor next year, but the rest it’s not real surprising. Price seems like a really good athlete but his shot never clicked this year and his mins dropped to nothing.

I think Pastner was planning to go after a few guys in the portal.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Wake me up when our fans are ready to kick in some cash and get the program some resources.
Well it’s the old marketing, CFO dilemma. Option A- Do we find resources to upgrade/overhaul the product to make more money so we can further upgrade the product some more & repeat the process or Option B- do we try to get the more money out of the current product, then invest that money back into the program so we can improve what we’ve already got?

Easier said than done but Option A is almost always preferable unless there’s no market for an improved product or you don’t know what you’re doing. Maybe you can’t sell that Hellcat, but that 700 hp ride sure is a lot of fun. Beats upgrading your Yugo to 100 hp, hoping to make some money so you can upgrade to 125 hp & eventually try to turn it into a car you don’t have to put a bag over your head to drive.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
While I get the overall point, has the last decade shown much promise that the folks that would receive that cash would make good decisions with it and the resources?

The last 3 ADs/2 presidents have shown little common sense or care about the program. So I guess my wonder is are Stansbury/Cabrera any different?

The last 2 ADs made no effort to stack resources for any of our athletic programs, unless it was accidental or a shiny building.

Has Stansbury acted differently? I say yes.

Don't get me wrong. It's fine for folks to have that opinion and take a stance they won't contribute, but they should keep their mouths shut when the results are what they are.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
To clarify I'm not saying I don't/won't contribute. I do what I can. However my main concern is the trend and pattern of our years and years of boneheaded decisions. Hopefully this will change going forward.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To clarify I'm not saying I don't/won't contribute. I do what I can. However my main concern is the trend and pattern of our years and years of boneheaded decisions. Hopefully this will change going forward.

That's why I changed it from "you" meaning the generic group of fans to "folks". I didn't want to give an inadvertent impression of singling you out.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Given the timing of this, I would be surprised if we hadn't at a minimum had the conversation with Kristian about waiting and taking the redshirt year here. We didn't have time to do anything when he announced last year, so it didn't cost us anything. It helps both of us from a timing perspective, and gave us both a year to have him work and mutually test fit.

Delaying the decision to gain valuable insight for both parties, at significant value to him (the extra eligibility it saves him) and minor value (us getting a final look at what he has got, while targeting potential transfer options) makes this a logical path to follow if indeed it went down this way.

Either way, why people get so bent out of shape with kids who decide for ANY REASON to transfer is something I won't understand. If there is a systemic problem with our program causing people to leave (e.g. our women's team last year) then certainly I am all about making our voices heard as fans, contributors and alumni but that doesn't appear to be the case here. Rather, a guy has decided this isn't the place for him and is moving on to a better fit. He didn't trash our program or team, didn't trash the coach and didn't trash our fans.

Maybe we could all take a moment to think about the fact that we are posting on a public forum about a young man who just felt the need to make a change (and that in fact we may have encouraged him to make said change).

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Given the timing of this, I would be surprised if we hadn't at a minimum had the conversation with Kristian about waiting and taking the redshirt year here. We didn't have time to do anything when he announced last year, so it didn't cost us anything. It helps both of us from a timing perspective, and gave us both a year to have him work and mutually test fit.

Delaying the decision to gain valuable insight for both parties, at significant value to him (the extra eligibility it saves him) and minor value (us getting a final look at what he has got, while targeting potential transfer options) makes this a logical path to follow if indeed it went down this way.

Either way, why people get so bent out of shape with kids who decide for ANY REASON to transfer is something I won't understand. If there is a systemic problem with our program causing people to leave (e.g. our women's team last year) then certainly I am all about making our voices heard as fans, contributors and alumni but that doesn't appear to be the case here. Rather, a guy has decided this isn't the place for him and is moving on to a better fit. He didn't trash our program or team, didn't trash the coach and didn't trash our fans.

Maybe we could all take a moment to think about the fact that we are posting on a public forum about a young man who just felt the need to make a change (and that in fact we may have encouraged him to make said change).
I am a 10000% sure players read what’s posted here. When they get back to their rooms I’m only sure they search their names on google and see what comes up. Not hard to find the negative stuff on the net. We should probably try to limit the negative comments up here towards our young men.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Kristan has already taken his redshirt year. Has has no year to take. If he transfers he loses a year of eligibility.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Given the timing of this, I would be surprised if we hadn't at a minimum had the conversation with Kristian about waiting and taking the redshirt year here. We didn't have time to do anything when he announced last year, so it didn't cost us anything.

What? If he had stayed in the portal we'd have known we had an open scholarship that we could fill which would have been even more important given that an NCAA ruling on our appeal would likely have resulted in us losing that scholarship for next year. It was reported here that when Sjolund took his name out of the transfer portal the first time that he basically recommitted to the team, meaning the staff went through the last 3-4 months believing they didn't have an open scholarship. Now, maybe that didn't happen and it really was just some sort of agreement that the coaches knew about and were on board with. I doubt it though because I don't see the benefit for us to do that. I also think if we knew we'd have an opening we'd have gone harder after recruits the past couple of months. We seemed to basically stay in touch with Sotto and not bother with anyone else. That doesn't seem like how we would behave if we know all along that Sjolund wasn't going to be here.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
What? If he had stayed in the portal we'd have known we had an open scholarship that we could fill which would have been even more important given that an NCAA ruling on our appeal would likely have resulted in us losing that scholarship for next year. It was reported here that when Sjolund took his name out of the transfer portal the first time that he basically recommitted to the team, meaning the staff went through the last 3-4 months believing they didn't have an open scholarship. Now, maybe that didn't happen and it really was just some sort of agreement that the coaches knew about and were on board with. I doubt it though because I don't see the benefit for us to do that. I also think if we knew we'd have an opening we'd have gone harder after recruits the past couple of months. We seemed to basically stay in touch with Sotto and not bother with anyone else. That doesn't seem like how we would behave if we know all along that Sjolund wasn't going to be here.
I guess my point was more we don't know the conversations between player and coach and it seems unlikely to me that we were blindsided by the decision. Especially given his decision to return the first time.

Regardless of the speculation, my bigger point was that I don't get the hostility towards a kid doing what he thinks is best for him. If we are ok with a coach telling a scholarship player that they don't fit our needs any longer and will be benched through the rest of their career, then we must be alright with a kid saying essentially the same thing.