Kristian Sjolund to Transfer

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Anyody know the latest with Kristian? I thought he was leaving, but I haven't seen his name in the Transfer Portal.

bos

Helluva Engineer
This is still very strange to me. He looked really good at the end of his freshman season where I was sure he'd be in the starting lineup this year. A 6'8" guy who can shoot is hard to find. I guess he just didn't develop as expected during the off-season. Wish him luck.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is still very strange to me. He looked really good at the end of his freshman season where I was sure he'd be in the starting lineup this year. A 6'8" guy who can shoot is hard to find. I guess he just didn't develop as expected during the off-season. Wish him luck.

He was going to be more of a defensive liability than an offensive asset. He was not going to be able to defend ACC-level athletes.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Nothing against Sjolund, but given the recruits we have a shot at in 2021, this is a case where I'm willing to lose the bird in hand for the 3-4 recruits in the bush.

Good luck to in in El Paso, Kristian. Never been there, but I hear the tacos and BBQ is amazing there.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
He was going to be more of a defensive liability than an offensive asset. He was not going to be able to defend ACC-level athletes.

If we were still really committed to the zone defense maybe he had a shot at playing. But given that we have morphed into a 70% (+/-) man defensive team, it was hard to see who he could guard. Without Banks maybe next year we go back to the zone in a big way but that is speculative - and I doubt it personally. Proof of the pudding is that his options were not GT and up but the opposite so I think the market spoke pretty clearly.

I wish him nothing but a great experience at UTEP and hope he finds a way to get his GT degree.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
If we were still really committed to the zone defense maybe he had a shot at playing. But given that we have morphed into a 70% (+/-) man defensive team, it was hard to see who he could guard. Without Banks maybe next year we go back to the zone in a big way but that is speculative - and I doubt it personally. Proof of the pudding is that his options were not GT and up but the opposite so I think the market spoke pretty clearly.

I wish him nothing but a great experience at UTEP and hope he finds a way to get his GT degree.

IIRC, he had a really difficult time making the correct rotations in our zone. Which, BTW, I sometimes don't really know where some guys should be.