KO blunder Review

eetech

Jolly Good Fellow
A fair catch outside the 25 is still a fair catch. The only difference is the ball isn't advanced any further. So I don't see why that should cause any confusion. It only means the ball is spotted in a worse position for Tech than it would have been if the fair catch had been taken inside the 25.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I went back and watched again. You are right. I must have misheard it - I think it was the follow up question I couldn't hear that he answered "do you think we coach them (inaudible) that level" - I think I heard it differently the first time. I still maintain we need a new strategy for KOs.

Go back to the first post in this thread and read @Ibeeballin 's analysis. It was the level of the coverage guys. They guys that were supposed to stay back from the returner ended up at the same level as the guys who were supposed to force the returner to commit.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
From the NCAA rule book:

It doesn't matter where the player is (inside 25 yard line or in front of 25 yard line), the player cannot be interfered with. He has to be allowed to catch the ball and then the ball would be dead where he catches it. Just like a punt.

Got it. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
I went back and watched again. You are right. I must have misheard it - I think it was the follow up question I couldn't hear that he answered "do you think we coach them (inaudible) that level" - I think I heard it differently the first time. I still maintain we need a new strategy for KOs.

I think CPJ will agree with you on teh strategy bit.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
That comment I made makes more sense when you read the entire exchange I had with another poster. He commented that nobody is thinking “fair catch” after our performance on Saturday. I agreed that that may be true but I think the thought process would be different at the 5 versus the 25.

I suggested that we kick a high kickoff to the 25 or 30. I think this will:

Give our coverage time to get down the field.

There will be more bodies in one place, as opposed to a long kickoff, so I think it would close running lanes.

Also, the new rule may cause some confusion if you kick to the 25. The returner might hesitate because he won’t know whether he can fair catch or not.

He can fair catch now anywhere as always, inside or outside the 25 but now a fair catch inside the 25 gives you the ball on the 25. Outside the 25 you get the ball where you fair catch it..

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
He can fair catch now anywhere as always, inside or outside the 25 but now a fair catch inside the 25 gives you the ball on the 25. Outside the 25 you get the ball where you fair catch it..

Got a little confused. . Thanks.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
Shouldn’t the thread title be “kickoff blunders”?

/

The first one since he went straight up the middle points to them having it blocked right. Sometimes that happens, It would have been better if we hadn't had all freshman in that part of the field.

The second one we handed to him.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
No one is thinking about fair catching against us. A high kick does give more time to get our players downfield though

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That’s all Alcorn did. I know they were apples to USF oranges. I don’t think anything is certain. I damn sure hope we cover properly from here on though.

Edit:
Now that I mention Alcorn that may have played a part in our busts and their TDs. Maybe they saw that in our coverage on fair catches and prepped to burn us.

If so we should have caught it ourselves in self scouting. So I’m inclined to believe youthful exuberance might still have been the main culprit.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Inexperience was obviously an issue, but I don’t think kick coverage is rocket science. Given our number of very athletic freshman who aren’t starters on defense and the fact that we will never have factory depth, we need to get at least most of these young guys coached up so we can keep them on special teams.