KO blunder Review

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Man this is bad lol. This the 2nd KO return TD. Here are frames for us to see what is going on. Thanks ESPN for this endsone view.

E4E79A42-4EBF-4A0B-98C5-B185E6137B3E.jpeg

This first pic to show alignment. I played KO for 4yrs and was a “force” player as CPJ alluded to in the post game interview meaning I’m going directly to returning and “forcing” him to redirect or simply make the tackle.

Each player is assigned a number from the sideline to the kickoff tee. Each number has a different assignment depending on the kick call which is deep left here

D7CEBCEA-CDCA-450B-B1DE-41C7991FC17D.jpeg

Based on the video, we have a twist going at the wide side of the field. I determined #3 is the contain guy and 1, 2, & maybe 4(not so sure on him) the force guys.

Where the problem begins: Lane fits

As the twist occurs, our young freshman both #1 and #2 go inside of the lead blocker leaving a crease. #4 is baffling to me. He’s giving the impression of another contain guy but that wouldn’t make sense. Imo, he should apply the KO rule of defeating blocks by cross the face/butt of the blocker. By him going up field, he created a natural lane for return team.

Unlike everyone else, i was happy to see CPJ kick to him again. There is only one way to get it right and that’s by experience.

I will try to do some Def breakdown later on a series or 2

stingem103

Georgia Tech Fan
This is really the difference in the game yesterday. You cant give someone 14 points this easily and expect to win. Of course we still could have won but we continue to make things incredibly hard on ourselves by making these kinds of mental/coaching mistakes in every game. I expect these things so could only imagine how toxic that feeling is for our student athletes. Really hope they don't make this a habit like it was last year.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Thanks Ballin.

Question, does the ball placement on the kickoffs help in creating the problem ? You said the call was deep left. The ball went to the left hash which to me would be the 2 box if you quartered the field going across. ( meaning deep left to me would be closer to the sideline) Is the kick truly “deep left” ? If not then lane intergrity is lost on the kick isn’t it ?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Thanks Ballin.

Question, does the ball placement on the kickoffs help in creating the problem ? You said the call was deep left. The ball went to the left hash which to me would be the 2 box if you quartered the field going across. ( meaning deep left to me would be closer to the sideline) Is the kick truly “deep left” ? If not then lane intergrity is lost on the kick isn’t it ?

As long as it’s kicked btw the left hash and sideline you are good. You would prefer the ball being caught at the numbers

One issue i have i do have with the kicker is that he got to deep into the return. I know he’s not a burner and he may not have caught him, but He’s the last line of defense and should only mirror the returner

herb

Helluva Engineer
And we made the same mistake on the 1st TD. Our young guys are not getting across the face of defenders. It’s like pass rushing upfield and OT just rides him the direction he wants to go

I have a question/favor, if you have a chance. On the last 4th down play, could you look when you have time and tell me what you think happened. I swear that on their trips left, we only had 2 out there.

Technut1990

Ramblin' Wreck
Watching from that perspective cause me more questions than gives me answers. Like Ballin referred to it’s hard to understand exactly what some of the guys are doing.

I’ll call the numbers to refer, rather than names. #21 outside right seems to be free all the way down the field until he slows momentarily and acts like HE is blocking the USF player who has his back to him.

#10 I think gets held but after getting lose he falls down, granted this is happening at game speed.

And of course the players that Balling pointed out.

I’m not trying to be a jerk when I say this but the players actions remind me of middle and high school players when everyone wants to be the one making the tackle. Given that It reminds me that we have a lot of young players out there. At the same time I’d be livid if I were a coach on this team, I’d be horse in 15 mins.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Also, there appear to be a block in the back
Watching from that perspective cause me more questions than gives me answers. Like Ballin referred to it’s hard to understand exactly what some of the guys are doing.

I’ll call the numbers to refer, rather than names. #21 outside right seems to be free all the way down the field until he slows momentarily and acts like HE is blocking the USF player who has his back to him.

#10 I think gets held but after getting lose he falls down, granted this is happening at game speed.

And of course the players that Balling pointed out.

I’m not trying to be a jerk when I say this but the players actions remind me of middle and high school players when everyone wants to be the one making the tackle. Given that It reminds me that we have a lot of young players out there. At the same time I’d be livid if I were a coach on this team, I’d be horse in 15 mins.

I count atleast 8 true or Reshirt Freshman on the squad. This is where quality LB depth hurts us. Where is Cooksey, Jackson, and Brashear?

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Also, there appear to be a block in the back

I count atleast 8 true or Reshirt Freshman on the squad. This is where quality LB depth hurts us. Where is Cooksey, Jackson, and Brashear?

Are they any good?
I hate asking that cause they are still young men.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
The two KO returns may have played a larger role in the loss than just 14 points. Since they ran fewer offensive plays in first half, Woody may have been limited in seeing what their O may bring in second half. This could have limited proper adjustment at the half on how we played the QB runs in 2nd half.

Matt E

GT Athlete
Man this is bad lol. This the 2nd KO return TD. Here are frames for us to see what is going on. Thanks ESPN for this endsone view.

View attachment 4112
This first pic to show alignment. I played KO for 4yrs and was a “force” player as CPJ alluded to in the post game interview meaning I’m going directly to returning and “forcing” him to redirect or simply make the tackle.

Each player is assigned a number from the sideline to the kickoff tee. Each number has a different assignment depending on the kick call which is deep left here

View attachment 4113

Based on the video, we have a twist going at the wide side of the field. I determined #3 is the contain guy and 1, 2, & maybe 4(not so sure on him) the force guys.

Where the problem begins: Lane fits

As the twist occurs, our young freshman both #1 and #2 go inside of the lead blocker leaving a crease. #4 is baffling to me. He’s giving the impression of another contain guy but that wouldn’t make sense. Imo, he should apply the KO rule of defeating blocks by cross the face/butt of the blocker. By him going up field, he created a natural lane for return team.

Unlike everyone else, i was happy to see CPJ kick to him again. There is only one way to get it right and that’s by experience.

I will try to do some Def breakdown later on a series or 2

Thanks for posting this. While I wasn’t very good as a LB, I was a multi year kickoff coverage guy at GT as well. Maybe because I took so much pride in this aspect of the game as a player it bothers me more than it should, but our special teams infuriate me. Special teams are about assignment discipline (staying in your lane as an example, doing YOUR job) and effort. They generally aren’t complicated. The fact that we continue to struggle in this facet just irks me. I hear we practice and it’s important, but for it to be this bad and not get fixed, it makes me wonder how seriously it’s taken by the staff. And for the love of all that is sacred and holy, you cannot kick the ball to the middle of the field!! It needs to be placed at the numbers. We had multiple kickoffs right inbetween the hashes against Alcorn and unless that is taken care of and fixed we will have issues.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The way their O was carving up our D, I not convinced we spotted them 14. We just made the final scores for both teams higher by creating more possessions.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
To me, it was CRAZY to kick off again.The FIRST opening KO ALMOST broke open but with an arm tackle tripped .The 2nd one did go.Why would you not squibb, pooch or SOMETHING?
Like Matt said ,how does this happen.BAD BAD coaching.Not being serious enough about it.. AND-the reason they wanted to run it back is that THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING FOR YRS.(Butker saved us some).