Kickoffs: Clemson at 8p, USF at 2p

Deleted member 2897

Under CPJ's 11 seasons here, our opponents had 22 Bye Weeks prior to playing us. A couple years we had 3 opponents coming off a Bye Week. This year? Zero.

First 2 games are in - Zero noon games.
2018: First 3 games were Noon games, with 7 Noon games overall.
2017: 2nd game was a Nooner, with 5 Noon games overall.
2016: 8 Noon games (not a typo).
2015: 4 Noon games.
2014: 7 Noon games.

We've been averaging over 6 Noon games a year. Noon games negatively impact attendance and ticket/concessions revenue. Bye Weeks before us negatively impacts our Win/Loss record (to the tune of almost 1 extra Loss and 1 fewer Win per year).

Maybe the times are finally changing.

We have 10 games left to be scheduled. If we're to finish about average, 6 or 7 of those 10 should be Noon kickoffs. If times are changing, we'll see a lower number. Off to a good start...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

LOL, ACC Network forgot the "1" in front of the 2pm start time.

Errr... wait. It's actually a 2pm start?

giphy.gif

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Under CPJ's 11 seasons here, our opponents had 22 Bye Weeks prior to playing us. A couple years we had 3 opponents coming off a Bye Week. This year? Zero.

We've been averaging over 6 Noon games a year. Noon games negatively impact attendance and ticket/concessions revenue. Bye Weeks before us negatively impacts our Win/Loss record (to the tune of almost 1 extra Loss and 1 fewer Win per year).

We have 10 games left to be scheduled. If we're to finish about average, 6 or 7 of those 10 should be Noon kickoffs. If times are changing, we'll see a lower number. Off to a good start...
Plus the nc state game is at night already

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Whiteout game in the middle of the day..... Pointless.

Now, if Comcast doesn’t pick up the ACC Network, will the games be streamed online?

Edit: I just clicked the link. They’ll be streaming on the watch ESPN app.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

I could always see the argument for giving opponents a bye when they were going up against the spread option. I didn't like it, I thought it was unfair to Tech, but I could see the argument. Just barely.

The large number of noon games, however, were simply spite, so near as I could see. They certainly weren't justified by our record over the years in the ACC, except for, maybe, 2016. That we might not have to suffer through them again is all to the good and, again so near as I can see, looks like it has a lot more to do with the ACC Network then the ACC itself.

Animal02

Banned
I could always see the argument for giving opponents a bye when they were going up against the spread option. I didn't like it, I thought it was unfair to Tech, but I could see the argument. Just barely.

The large number of noon games, however, were simply spite, so near as I could see. They certainly weren't justified by our record over the years in the ACC, except for, maybe, 2016. That we might not have to suffer through them again is all to the good and, again so near as I can see, looks like it has a lot more to do with the ACC Network then the ACC itself.
Record has little to do with it. Audience draw does. A 4-4 Ohio State is still going to draw more than a 6-2 Tech. It sucks but it is what it is.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

No offense intended here, but I have to disagree.

Reductio ad Absurdum: if there is an argument for a giving a team a bye weak to prepare for the spread option, then doesn’t logic—and fairness to all the teams facing such a devilish offense—dictate that every team facing it should receive such a bye? A schedule like that for the option team would be patently ridiculous.

Turning that around, once you acknowledge the blatant absurdity of the argument that everyone should get a bye against us because of our offense, then one cannot legitimately argue that any single team should get one specifically because of our offense...

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
Whiteout game in the middle of the day..... Pointless.

Now, if Comcast doesn’t pick up the ACC Network, will the games be streamed online?

Edit: I just clicked the link. They’ll be streaming on the watch ESPN app.

I think you only have streaming access to channels that are part of your cable package. So if Comcast doesn't carry it, don't think you can use your Comcast login to watch it. My basis for this is a buddy whose Comcast package did not include ESPNU. He couldn't use his login to watch on the app, but mine worked. Could be wrong, but that's my understanding.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

CPJ liked Noon games. I don't think anyone ever requested not having Noon games.

Milwaukee

Banned

The data on the mig is inaccurate.

Go look at our 2015 kick times after we had a good season. There's no conspiracy against GT.

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
For the 2:00 PM whiners, that's when our day games started in the pre-TV-Rules-All days.

Of course, the season didn't start til the 3rd Saturday in September, too.

Night games ranged from 7:00 to 9:00 starts.

In 1970, we opened at home with USC(e) & FSU. The USC(e) game started at 2 & the Noles at 3:45. And it was 95-100F both games. Thank Goodness GTAA hadn't installed AstroTurf, yet, but it was still ridiculously hot. And only UF had this strange new product, AKA "secret weapon," called Gatorade. We drank CocaColas.

Win & it'll all be taken care of by the TV gods.

LibertyTurns

Banned
For the 2:00 PM whiners, that's when our day games started in the pre-TV-Rules-All days.

Of course, the season didn't start til the 3rd Saturday in September, too.

Night games ranged from 7:00 to 9:00 starts.

In 1970, we opened at home with USC(e) & FSU. The USC(e) game started at 2 & the Noles at 3:45. And it was 95-100F both games. Thank Goodness GTAA hadn't installed AstroTurf, yet, but it was still ridiculously hot. And only UF had this strange new product, AKA "secret weapon," called Gatorade. We drank CocaColas.

Win & it'll all be taken care of by the TV gods.
You’d think in 50 years a GT Engineer would have figured out how to air condition Bobby Dodd and get the stands out of the sun. We’ve had decades of brainiacs swarming our campus and we still have to put up with hot freaking stands and a bunch of sunshine during football games. Unfreakingbelievable.

On top of that no beer. Is anyone surprised our season tickets are not selling out?