Kickoffs: Clemson at 8p, USF at 2p

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Noon games are the best :). I just don't get the hate for noon games. It's NOON. Its not 7am. I hate night games. You stand around all day, waiting to go to the game. Go to the game and if you have to drive home your getting home @ 3am. I like a noon game, then tailgate after w friends. JMO.

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Noon games are the best :). I just don't get the hate for noon games. It's NOON. Its not 7am. I hate night games. You stand around all day, waiting to go to the game. Go to the game and if you have to drive home your getting home @ 3am. I like a noon game, then tailgate after w friends. JMO.

If you like to tailgate, it is a lot of work to bring out the TVs, grills, etc for a noon game. First, there are no games before your noon game, so nothing great to watch. Also, unless you want to get there at 7AM, grilling a nice meal is out for a noon start. Yes, you could setup all your tailgate stuff after the game and tailgate afterward, but there is no GT game to look forward to which is a lot of the fun to talk about. I think you might have a different experience with an RV, but that's my point of view showing up with a bunch of gear in the car.

If you had to drive 2+ hours to get there and want to have time for pre-game tailgating with friends, most of whom either live in the Atlanta area or are closer than 2+ hours, and even then have to have a rushed tailgate, then you would not like noon games either. And no, driving up on Friday and spending the night in a hotel is not an option. Also, I have no problem at all making that 2+ hour drive home after a late game. I'm generally still fired up enough from the game not to get sleepy at the wheel.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
If you like to tailgate, it is a lot of work to bring out the TVs, grills, etc for a noon game. First, there are no games before your noon game, so nothing great to watch. Also, unless you want to get there at 7AM, grilling a nice meal is out for a noon start. Yes, you could setup all your tailgate stuff after the game and tailgate afterward, but there is no GT game to look forward to which is a lot of the fun to talk about. I think you might have a different experience with an RV, but that's my point of view showing up with a bunch of gear in the car.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
If you had to drive 2+ hours to get there and want to have time for pre-game tailgating with friends, most of whom either live in the Atlanta area or are closer than 2+ hours, and even then have to have a rushed tailgate, then you would not like noon games either. And no, driving up on Friday and spending the night in a hotel is not an option. Also, I have no problem at all making that 2+ hour drive home after a late game. I'm generally still fired up enough from the game not to get sleepy at the wheel.
I guess it was a different having a 1 pm start time. A hour does make a difference. I just remember the tailgate always being after the games. I guess because I played and my parents made sure there was enough food for anyone who wanted to attend. We do the same thing so we tailgate after the game. We go to the Jacket Walk, so you have to be at the stadium 2 hours before kickoff, kinda wipes out Pre Game tailgating anyway. And it is different because we set up Friday afternoon and don't leave until Sunday and there are several TV's w the other games playing and lots of folks "stumbling around" ;). Maybe the best time would be 3;00. If you ask the players they don't like sitting around all day waiting to play. I did not like it as a parent. I guess now, I might have a different perspective... Not being anxious ,I might like a late afternoon or night kickoff :).

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
I didn't say that I thought the argument was a good one or that I agreed with it. Just that I could see why some programs would make it and the ACC would go along with them. I specifically said it was unfair. I also said I could see why the conference would try to schedule the byes; if they hadn't Tech would have whipped a good number of teams.
Sorry; I wasn’t trying to accuse you of believing that nonsense—guess I should have been more careful in how I replied. I just wanted to point out the obvious response to anyone who really tries to argue that a team might “deserve” extra time to prepare for us, because of our unique (former) offense.

It’s too bad that Johnson never floated that sort of rebuttal, after it became obvious the conference was playing favorites. It would’ve been a hoot: “If they think teams need extra time to prep for us, fairness says that EVERY conference opponent should get a bye before they play us, not just Duke and Carolina. Go for it. Give ‘em all byes, and the college sports world will see you for the clowns you are.”

Animal02

Banned
And then there is the other have of the time problem.....when they do not announce a game time until a few days before it is played. Makes it impossible for those traveling long distance. You have to commit to the entire weekend.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
And then there is the other have of the time problem.....when they do not announce a game time until a few days before it is played. Makes it impossible for those traveling long distance. You have to commit to the entire weekend.

Announcing kickoff times 12 days out is definitely a detriment for most college fans. There are a handful of schools where the vast majority of fans block out the entire Saturday/weekend for a game, but most people are scheduling around kids' sports, weddings, etc.

Most NFL games are at 1p, and I never hear people complain about being "too early" since people know about it 10 weeks in advance (granted, NFL has started some flex scheduling). In college, it's death by a thousand cuts, because fan bases (like ours) have a new reason to complain every Monday with kickoff times are announced.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
This! I’ve wanted to fly back for games many times but can’t because I’m not sure of timing. The 6 day hold is the worst.
If its a night game I’d look for a flight in the morn and fly out the next day. With work and kids it’s hard for me to spend 3 days in ATL, as much as I want too.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer

I like them all.

Someday we might have a couple of the crummy teams (noon or q pm start ) later in the year. Sitting in the heat to see a good ( verses the stats padding alcorn ) game is more toleable.
This year its really a lucky break to have 3 of these games early so we can get ready for coastal and then November.

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
For the 2:00 PM whiners, that's when our day games started in the pre-TV-Rules-All days.

Of course, the season didn't start til the 3rd Saturday in September, too.

Night games ranged from 7:00 to 9:00 starts.

In 1970, we opened at home with USC(e) & FSU. The USC(e) game started at 2 & the Noles at 3:45. And it was 95-100F both games. Thank Goodness GTAA hadn't installed AstroTurf, yet, but it was still ridiculously hot. And only UF had this strange new product, AKA "secret weapon," called Gatorade. We drank CocaColas.

Win & it'll all be taken care of by the TV gods.
Did we really drink Coke on the sideline or are you just being TIC? Part of me thinks it is a ridiculous notion, yet part of me can see it happening in 1970.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I guess it was a different having a 1 pm start time. A hour does make a difference. I just remember the tailgate always being after the games. I guess because I played and my parents made sure there was enough food for anyone who wanted to attend. We do the same thing so we tailgate after the game. We go to the Jacket Walk, so you have to be at the stadium 2 hours before kickoff, kinda wipes out Pre Game tailgating anyway. And it is different because we set up Friday afternoon and don't leave until Sunday and there are several TV's w the other games playing and lots of folks "stumbling around" ;). Maybe the best time would be 3;00. If you ask the players they don't like sitting around all day waiting to play. I did not like it as a parent. I guess now, I might have a different perspective... Not being anxious ,I might like a late afternoon or night kickoff :).
Nobody is right, and nobody is wrong. We all have different parameters that play into it. Since someone else organizes the tailgate group I am part of, I only bring food from Augusta and enjoy the time with friends; they set the time. Frankly, I prefer 3PM starts too, since that gives plenty of time to get there without having to leave home at the crack of dawn, and I don't have to get home at 3AM. But it is what it is. All other things aside, I'm just glad that you are remaining a part of the tech family even after your son has graduated and moved on. :)