Kicker

FrostedOrange

Jolly Good Fellow
Butker struggled with FG consistency when he was young. Became much more consistent with age. He was 10/14 as a freshman and 11/18 as a sophomore. He was money when it came to PAT's, but it took a while for the FG's to come. I agree, his ability to put it through the end zone was a difference maker.

Love butt kicker, a lot of people forget that after the 52yd fg against the mutts he missed the EP in ot. Could have cost the game,but it didn't!

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Wells developed the shanks. He kicked very very poorly all year in practice and in games when given a chance. Shocked if he stays on scholly

I doubt he loses the ship. I still think his issues were mental. He will sort it this off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
That XP was blocked, no? Can’t really blame the kicker for a blocked kicked
Depends on if it's a low kick or if someone misses a block. If the block comes from the side, that's on the line. If it comes up the middle, that's usually on the kicker or the holder (unless it's an illegal rush and the refs don't call it).

whitegoldsphinx

Ramblin' Wreck
Depends on if it's a low kick or if someone misses a block. If the block comes from the side, that's on the line. If it comes up the middle, that's usually on the kicker or the holder (unless it's an illegal rush and the refs don't call it).
That particular XP that UGA blocked was an illegal rush that was not flagged. I thought it was smart of them to try it and take a chance it would not get called.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That particular XP that UGA blocked was an illegal rush that was not flagged. I thought it was smart of them to try it and take a chance it would not get called.

I just watched the replay and I can't figure how it was an illegal rush. Nobody seemed offside and there was no catapult that I could see. How was it illegal?

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I just watched the replay and I can't figure how it was an illegal rush. Nobody seemed offside and there was no catapult that I could see. How was it illegal?
Maybe it was a different cofh game, but there was one where UGA did an illegal rush/ climbed up their guys to block it twice, then we did it once and blocked their kick.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It is illegal to contact the snapper.

I don't think it's illegal just to contact the snapper. If contact is made with the snapper and with the tackle beside him simultaneously, it isn't illegal. No one was lined up directly over the snapper, and contact was made obliquely. As least it seemed that way to me, and by my understanding of the rules, it shouldn't be a penalty. The snapper wasn't hit head on, rather in the shoulder pad. I've probably seen it sometime or other, but I can't specifically recall ever seeing a "roughing the snapper" penalty.

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
The rule is that you have to wait 1 second after the ball is snapped before you can contact the long snapper because it is dangerous to the snapper since his head is down. They hit him pretty much as soon as the ball moved and had been doing it all day long

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The rule is that you have to wait 1 second after the ball is snapped before you can contact the long snapper because it is dangerous to the snapper since his head is down. They hit him pretty much as soon as the ball moved and had been doing it all day long

It's not illegal if he's hitting the tackle first. The one second rule apples only as pertains to direct contact only with the snapper, as I understand it. It looked like the contact was simultaneous with the snapper and the tackle, as the defender at least was pretending to try to go between them. It's kind of in a gray area, but this is a very rarely called penalty. I don't think they're going to call this unless it's flagrant. If he hits him head on it's a foul for sure, but that's not what happened in this case.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
It's not illegal if he's hitting the tackle first. The one second rule apples only as pertains to direct contact only with the snapper, as I understand it. It looked like the contact was simultaneous with the snapper and the tackle, as the defender at least was pretending to try to go between them. It's kind of in a gray area, but this is a very rarely called penalty. I don't think they're going to call this unless it's flagrant. If he hits him head on it's a foul for sure, but that's not what happened in this case.
They knocked the snapper almost to the holder. That is unlikely if you're also hitting the guard.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I seem to remember at the time that CPJ had complained to the officials earlier in the game about them hitting the center immediately after the snap, and the officials ( from the SEC) said there wasn’t a rule against it. UGA did it again in OT and CPJ complained again to no avail. The SEC later admitted they were wrong.

I may be wrong, but since I hate all things SEC, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
It's kind of in a gray area, but this is a very rarely called penalty. I don't think they're going to call this unless it's flagrant. If he hits him head on it's a foul for sure, but that's not what happened in this case.

It was called against VT in that game this year. I actually made a comment about the 2014 mutt game when that was called.

I haven't re-watched the 2014 game, but as I recall that was the second time in the game that the mutts blocked a kick. Also just my recollection, but the snapper was pancaked onto his back as he was lifting up from the snap.

The way I read the rule, it does not matter if contact is simultaneous with the guard and the snapper or solely with the snapper. The rule says: "When a team is in scrimmage kick formation, a defensive player may not initiate contact with the snapper until one second has elapsed after the snap" If a defensive player hits the snapper it doesn't matter if he also hit the guard.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
I seem to remember at the time that CPJ had complained to the officials earlier in the game about them hitting the center immediately after the snap, and the officials ( from the SEC) said there wasn’t a rule against it. UGA did it again in OT and CPJ complained again to no avail. The SEC later admitted they were wrong.

I may be wrong, but since I hate all things SEC, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

They weren’t sec officials

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
They weren’t sec officials
Pretty sure they were. The home team gets its conference officials. It used to be the opposite way back when, but home team = conference officials. And, that was the case in 2014 as well. Don't worry, Ugag's radio crew made the same mistake you did in finding excuses for why they lost and why their defense got their tails kicked up and down the field.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
It was called against VT in that game this year. I actually made a comment about the 2014 mutt game when that was called.

I haven't re-watched the 2014 game, but as I recall that was the second time in the game that the mutts blocked a kick. Also just my recollection, but the snapper was pancaked onto his back as he was lifting up from the snap.

The way I read the rule, it does not matter if contact is simultaneous with the guard and the snapper or solely with the snapper. The rule says: "When a team is in scrimmage kick formation, a defensive player may not initiate contact with the snapper until one second has elapsed after the snap" If a defensive player hits the snapper it doesn't matter if he also hit the guard.

The snapper was indeed pancaked, having been hit on both sides along with both guards. But unless it's head on they're not going to call it. Or at least, very rarely. You can go years without seeing it called.