Kicker

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Trevor Haire is a P-WO.
Hoping that Henry Bishop from Spartanburg, SC enrolls @ GT. We need him, he kicks it through the end zone. Did a nice job punting in the Shrine Bowl, also.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Be careful discussing our kickers. Suggesting that one can’t handle pressure warranted a warning from the mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our KOs don't make the end zone and are low. We have more than confidence issues.

With Buttkicker we would have win a couple more games last year. Getting a competent kicker for FG has to be a priority.

slugboy

Staff member
Butker is a pro-bowler if not an all-pro in the NFL. Who wouldn’t want that caliber of kicker on their NCAA team? I watched him make multiple 55+ yard kicks in a game when my thought was “go for the first down”. Andy Reid has a ton of faith in him. Other NFL teams would gladly swap kickers with KC.
I’d be happy with an above average NCAA kicker.
Our current kickers may be able to get up to snuff with coaching and conditioning. I’ve seen enough punters kick off in the NFL to think that using Harvin for kickoffs is a possibility.
I realize how dumb this looks, but I feel like fixing kickoffs is job 1, and field goals are the icing in the cake. I hope the coaching staff feels the same

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
O’Leary told us at gatherings, the kicking game will determine 3-4 outcomes per season. I asked him privately after one of the lunches: Is that including total Special Teams play? He said, that can be more difficult to factor since it’s 1/3 of your game. All things even with offense and defense, you could lose half your games with poor kicking and bad play/breaks on ST. He never held back on his opinions. Blunt!

Bishop sat behind a scholarship kicker his first year(I think that young man was on scholarship at Boise St.), but he now has a tremendous leg. I’ve personally watched oversized footballs sail over my head into the Booster Club plexiglass at their new stadium.

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Butker is a pro-bowler if not an all-pro in the NFL. Who wouldn’t want that caliber of kicker on their NCAA team? I watched him make multiple 55+ yard kicks in a game when my thought was “go for the first down”. Andy Reid has a ton of faith in him. Other NFL teams would gladly swap kickers with KC.
I’d be happy with an above average NCAA kicker.
Our current kickers may be able to get up to snuff with coaching and conditioning. I’ve seen enough punters kick off in the NFL to think that using Harvin for kickoffs is a possibility.
I realize how dumb this looks, but I feel like fixing kickoffs is job 1, and field goals are the icing in the cake. I hope the coaching staff feels the same

Your intuition isn’t dumb at all. The football sabermetrics guys say the best kickers will see variance in FG%, but will be very consistent in touchback%. The long term sign of a good kicker is touchbacks. Harrison Butker’s clutch FGs were awesome! But what made him such a valuable member of our program was the fact our atrocious special teams / kick coverage only had to cover ~65-75% of kickoffs.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Your intuition isn’t dumb at all. The football sabermetrics guys say the best kickers will see variance in FG%, but will be very consistent in touchback%. The long term sign of a good kicker is touchbacks. Harrison Butker’s clutch FGs were awesome! But what made him such a valuable member of our program was the fact our atrocious special teams / kick coverage only had to cover ~65-75% of kickoffs.

The better thing about KOs sailing out of the endzone is it’s one less think you need to practice. You get one kid to kick it past the end line and you can put 10 scrubs on the field so they can sniff the turf. Practice you can focus on other things, ie FG kicking and punting and not waster time with a play that should be a mere formality at this level.

Deleted member 2897

Just being able to kick the ball into the endzone should be a commodity. You can see kickers on teams around the country do it. But we can't. Sad. In terms of making field goals, if you can just be consistent at some distance, like inside of 35 yards, its not having a big boot that matters. If the coach knows that 80%-90% chance you make the kick, they can plan their offense. If you can't make a 40+, who cares, you can plan your plays around that. But there needs to be some distance where we know we will make the kick. Right now we don't have any idea. And that's just sad too.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Just being able to kick the ball into the endzone should be a commodity. You can see kickers on teams around the country do it. But we can't. Sad. In terms of making field goals, if you can just be consistent at some distance, like inside of 35 yards, its not having a big boot that matters. If the coach knows that 80%-90% chance you make the kick, they can plan their offense. If you can't make a 40+, who cares, you can plan your plays around that. But there needs to be some distance where we know we will make the kick. Right now we don't have any idea. And that's just sad too.

Just another position collins will have to fix with recruiting.

add it to the list

bos

Helluva Engineer
I was confident Wells was going to be the kicker of the future after going 9-9 in 2018 and perfect 39-39 on extras. Strange he got a scholarship before the season but only attempted 1 FG in the 30s, which he missed. I guess King is very good in practice.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Butker struggled with FG consistency when he was young. Became much more consistent with age. He was 10/14 as a freshman and 11/18 as a sophomore. He was money when it came to PAT's, but it took a while for the FG's to come. I agree, his ability to put it through the end zone was a difference maker.

swarmer

Ramblin' Wreck
I was confident Wells was going to be the kicker of the future after going 9-9 in 2018 and perfect 39-39 on extras. Strange he got a scholarship before the season but only attempted 1 FG in the 30s, which he missed. I guess King is very good in practice.

Wells developed the shanks. He kicked very very poorly all year in practice and in games when given a chance. Shocked if he stays on scholly