Key lost the HC job today?

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
Key never had the job to "lose". He did have 8 games to try and earn the job...and I think after 4 games, he's climbing a mountain to get back in the conversation. If Key would have went 6-2 or better (which would have meant a ACCCG appearance and a bowl game), Key may have very well been one of the favorites (depending on the other candidates), but I think we can say that Key's chances are very slim at this point.

I think Cabrera is sincere in wanting GT sports to match GT's academics. That means he's empowering Batt to do what he needs to get the best available coach possible. If anything, GT fans may thinking too low in terms of the quality of the candidates. If the search for Batt is any indication, it's likely we won't hear about our new HFC until it nears the final stages. My gut tells me GT fans will be pleasantly surprised by who we find at the end of the tunnel.
🙏

EE95_curse EMAG!

Jolly Good Fellow
I said a few weeks ago I was not on the Key bandwagon. The brief uptick in play was just emotional boost provided by CGC leaving campus, not by Key being named interim. I was correct and as suspected we're back to CGC levels of bad football. This whole staff needs shown the doors.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think he was getting the job unless he went 6-2 at least during his stretch. If he wasn’t a Tech guy I doubt we’d even have this discussion. Maybe this leads him to a G5 gig and gets some quality experience and we can circle back to him in the future if the situation happens but right now isn’t the time. We have to make this hire count. Can’t take chances on a guy that won a few games in a 2 month stretch.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
While that was a really deflating loss on Saturday, I am still hopeful that a good HC hire can get some positive vibes back into the program. We need it.

I think it's best if we see an outside candidate take the reins. That said, I really like CBK and I'd like to retain him if possible - even if it's not as the HC. With that said, his OL has been dreadful so I'm not sure exactly what his role would be. Key has been a solid recruiter and he's well liked and respected around the southeast. At this point I don't think it will be a good thing if Key gets the job - it likely means that our primary target(s) turned us down...

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
I don’t think he was getting the job unless he went 6-2 at least during his stretch. If he wasn’t a Tech guy I doubt we’d even have this discussion. Maybe this leads him to a G5 gig and gets some quality experience and we can circle back to him in the future if the situation happens but right now isn’t the time. We have to make this hire count. Can’t take chances on a guy that won a few games in a 2 month stretch.
I really don't think it's because he's a "Tech Guy" that people like him.

For me, I like his approach with the media and fans...he is a great representative of the school in public. And I like what I hear (mostly from him) about how he handles the team. Tough but fair and authentic.

Those two things alone aren't good enough to be a head coach. But Tech fans ran off a very good head coach who didn't have those qualities, choosing to roll the dice on a huckster instead. So maybe it is a necessary requirement, if not sufficient?

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I really don't think it's because he's a "Tech Guy" that people like him.

For me, I like his approach with the media and fans...he is a great representative of the school in public. And I like what I hear (mostly from him) about how he handles the team. Tough but fair and authentic.

Those two things alone aren't good enough to be a head coach. But Tech fans ran off a very good head coach who didn't have those qualities, choosing to roll the dice on a huckster instead. So maybe it is a necessary requirement, if not sufficient?
For one thing Key is stuck with a bad OC. No chance to make a change this late unless he promoted Weinke.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
For one thing Key is stuck with a bad OC. No chance to make a change this late unless he promoted Weinke.
I should have been clearer...I don't think we can keep Key. And I'm not sure it's a good idea either. While I'm all about empowering my organization leaders to run their teams the way they want, I won't let the whole team fail just to 'empower' one poor leader. Key should have stepped in and taken the reigns from Long when it was clear he wasn't ready to adjust based on losing Sims.

stigs02jrt

Banned
With 10 days to prepare, we showed nothing. At home.

Regardless of the reasons, that loss was the point at which somebody, somewhere decided to look elsewhere.
So the starting QB goes down early vs UVA, and Gibson looks like he's never played a snap in college ball. That's Key's fault? He's been coach for like 3 weeks. CGC would be at fault for not playing Gibson earlier in the year in mop up duty and actually preparing a QB2.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
RBs ARE weak. our best RB was a back up at Louisville last year. not even a starter. Let that sink in. You have no idea if Key can't coach OL. But I'm pretty sure he can't RECRUIT OL. There is no talent there.
I don't agree that our rbs are weak. Hassan Hall is averaging 5 yards a carry behind an awful OL. He's a solid running back, both by stats and eyeball assessment.

stigs02jrt

Banned
I don't care if he was their 8th string rb last season. This season he's running the ball well, here. I didn't say he was a Heisman candidate, but he's the least of our worries on offense. For that, look to the OL.
the guy I was responding to was responding to my post where I said "Fact is we just have no talent. Our RBs are weak. Our OL is bad. Our receivers can't separate. Key is overachieving with this bunch."

So yes, obviously, our OL is bad as well.

We have talent problems everywhere.

NewEnglandTransplant

Georgia Tech Fan
Not much to add here that hasn't been said in countless posts. President Cabrera and ADJB must hit the reset button and hire a new HC and coaching staff.
My top choices in no order, Dan Mullen, Jamie Chadwell HC from Coastal Carolina, Matt Rhule former successful HC at Baylor, Turner Gill OC at Kansas, Lance Taylor Louisville OC are some of the names that intrigue me.
Predictions for the remainder of the season is 1-3 which beat's Collin's best winning seasons and finish 4-8:
  • Lose a close one to a poor Hokies team on the road but could go either way
  • Win a close one at home vs Miami but could go either way
  • Lose badly to UNC on the road
  • UGA in Athens (apply the mercy rule by halftime)

ScGold

Banned
A single name cost Brent the job. Joe Fusile. 4 years into this and we still have nonscholarship players playing significant time. I half *** believe if Key had done just a decent job with the OL, Ge Off might have done a little better.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
A single name cost Brent the job. Joe Fusile. 4 years into this and we still have nonscholarship players playing significant time. I half *** believe if Key had done just a decent job with the OL, Ge Off might have done a little better.

The converse of that argument is that Key developed a walk-on into a starting OL on a P5 program.