Key lost the HC job today?

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Heck no. I didn't see any glaring coaching errors. The team played hard and didn't quit. He had the guts to play a true freshman QB and it was actually okay. 2nd half was much better for offense, I bet Key got in Long's ear about opening up the playbook at halftime. The onside was a great call.

Fact is we just have no talent. Our RBs are weak. Our OL is bad. Our receivers can't separate. Key is overachieving with this bunch.

Unless it's Deion, I don't see any coaches making a big difference. He's the only one that can bring in TALENT.
Our running backs aren’t weak, the offensive line gives them 0 help and makes them look horrible. You say the OL is bad but guess who that is because of! Brent Key! Key can’t even coach his position group, hasn’t developed a single OL and in 4 years here, his group hasn’t taken a single step forward. Brent never had the job. Just stop it with Key.

Jacket4Life

Jolly Good Fellow
OK, now I see what all the fuss is about. Put me squarely in the Chadwell camp. 21 to zip against a good Marshall D on the road. Their O looks unstoppable.
Our current players fits really well in Chadwells offense. Just saying. I was sort of in the Deion camp at the beginning, but Chadwell is the perfect fit imo. I really don't care for people trashing Key though. I personally like the guy and wish him luck wherever he lands next.

Last edited:

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
yes. He lost it. Game plan was horrible. Waited until we were down multiple touchdowns to try anything other than a run play.

bigrabbit

Jolly Good Fellow
I thought the UVA game was more damaging for Key. FSU has a pretty good team, didn’t expect to win especially given our qb issues. We beat UVA, we’re 4-4 now and imo the internet pundits take losing to FSU in stride.

I have no idea if Chadwell can translate what he does to the P5 level, plus CCU could not be any more different from GT in most regards. CCU is your basic highly academically uncompetitive party school, probably a real fun place though.

Will be interesting to see who is available, interested etc. I’m not a 7 figure AA donor, so my opinion on HC hiring won’t count, have to trust those in charge.

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
I thought the UVA game was more damaging for Key. FSU has a pretty good team, didn’t expect to win especially given our qb issues. We beat UVA, we’re 4-4 now and imo the internet pundits take losing to FSU in stride.
With 10 days to prepare, we showed nothing. At home.

Regardless of the reasons, that loss was the point at which somebody, somewhere decided to look elsewhere.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
First mistake was not recruiting enough linemen in years 0 and 1. They had been recruiting for other teams, so they knew enough OL and projects that were not quite up to Bama’s list. Beat the bushes until you find them. That’s what they were paid for.

JacketFan137

Banned
Key never had the job and anyone that thinks he did is delusional. We fired Collins and Stansbury to clean house and start fresh. Key would’ve had to do something spectacular to win the job (like beat UGA or win the coastal) and that was never going to happen.
people wanted key because mcdonald’s looks like gourmet dining next to a pile of dog ****. would have also been a pretty good story and you can tell that he really loves tech. i wouldn’t hold it against anyone that wanted him to be coach after the first two games.

ScGold

Banned

I have no idea if Chadwell can translate what he does to the P5 level, plus CCU could not be any more different from GT in most regards. CCU is your basic highly academically uncompetitive party school, probably a real fun place though.

Will be interesting to see who is available, interested etc. I’m not a 7 figure AA donor, so my opinion on HC hiring won’t count, have to trust those in charge.
Coastal and high academics? That is hilarious.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
With 10 days to prepare, we showed nothing. At home.

Regardless of the reasons, that loss was the point at which somebody, somewhere decided to look elsewhere.
What I saw yesterday makes me question why Pyron didn't see the field at all against UVA. I suppose Sims was expected to go even with his injury from the Duke game and I get it that the UVA injury was different. It was obvious Gibson was struggling against UVA. We need to be prepared that Sims may be out several games.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Key never had the job to "lose". He did have 8 games to try and earn the job...and I think after 4 games, he's climbing a mountain to get back in the conversation. If Key would have went 6-2 or better (which would have meant a ACCCG appearance and a bowl game), Key may have very well been one of the favorites (depending on the other candidates), but I think we can say that Key's chances are very slim at this point.

I think Cabrera is sincere in wanting GT sports to match GT's academics. That means he's empowering Batt to do what he needs to get the best available coach possible. If anything, GT fans may thinking too low in terms of the quality of the candidates. If the search for Batt is any indication, it's likely we won't hear about our new HFC until it nears the final stages. My gut tells me GT fans will be pleasantly surprised by who we find at the end of the tunnel.