Ken’s AJC article on Patrick Suddes ...

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Two GT athletes are posting otherwise. I trust them as I have the other former athletes who have been long critical of CPJ. I’ve since mostly fell back because he’s not here anymore but damn call a spade a spade. It’s not all on the damn AD either.
Help me understand what you're claiming.
Are you claiming...
1.) that most GT athletes that played for CPJ didn't like him?
2.) that most GT athletes that played for CPJ didn't like his offense?
3.) that most GT athletes that played for CPJ think CGC is a better coach?
4.) that most GT athletes that played for CPJ like the way CGC is doing the social media stuff and fun workout stuff better than CPJ?

Or is this about GT athletes that didn't play for CPJ or about GT athletes in general (whether they played for CPJ or what)? The examples you gave were Erin Joe, Calvin Johnson, and Brent Key. Two out of those three didn't even play for CPJ.

What is the proposition here that you're making?

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
I'm a web developer and have spent time working with and rubbed a lot of elbows with people who work at digital service agencies. Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram do not cost money to use that is obviously correct. But using them effectively is not as easy as you would think and having someone who has those skills does indeed cost money. You don't just start posting stuff and hoping it works out. We've tried that. And it clearly didn't work because no one remembers it. To act like the purse strings being loosened and our improved social media presence aren't related is naive and imo kind of insulting to Santino Stancato. What we're doing on social media isn't just effort. It sounds a little harsh but that's just ignorant. It's also research, planning, production, and execution.

And we're now paying someone for the specific purpose of handling all that. Which is pretty cool tbh. That's why our social media is better. Not just 'effort.' You may not mean it that way but it can come off as a dig at the old staff. Who on that staff had time to do all that at the quality we're seeing before we loosened up the purse strings?

Ryan Wise, the digital content coordinator, was here last year yet the content wasn’t pushed. Santino, who is an additional hire, has done tremendous, but that still doesn’t account for the presence of the coaching staff from CGC down to the GAs impact on social media

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
You forgot the 4th group:

People that played for GT that have insight into how things actually are/were and share said insight and opinion.

Believe what you want, don’t believe what you don’t want. It is what is. You shouldn’t be calling out people for sharing what they know, that’s actually divisive.
Did you play for CPJ?
Is your claim...
1.) CPJ is a bad coach?
2.) that you didn't like him?
3.) that you didn't like his offense?
4.) that you didn't like something else about CPJ?

White_Gold

GT Athlete
What the crap has CGC accomplished?! He's good at Twitter?! He won 7 and 8 games at Temple?! Yet, you're identifying CPJ, who was a 3-time ACC Coach of the Year as "mediocrity" compared to the JUICE. Now, I do like what CGC is doing, I like the some of the staff hires especially, but to associate "defending mediocrity with people who are not ALREADY sold on this mythical huge leap in accomplishment of the CGC-era over the CPJ-era is asinine. Wins is what it's about! And, not compromising character in the process. We all hope CGC gets there, but we haven't even played a stinkin' game yet. And, we won't know anything for at least 2 or 3, maybe even 4 years.

Our past two coaches have had .580 and .579 winning percentages. That’s mediocre. My guess is that CGC does better than that for a few different reasons. Some of which we’ve seen already.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Our past two coaches have had .580 and .579 winning percentages. That’s mediocre. My guess is that CGC does better than that for a few different reasons. Some of which we’ve seen already.
The one before that was .612, not hugely better. He also got us on probation for using ineligible players.
The one before that was .366
The one before that was .544
The one before that was .419

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
No it’s 2

We added Balcom, Washington, and Kevin Wise a little over a year ago, then added Horton, Sinagra, and Stancato recently, while losing Balcom. That's a net gain of five at present with one position vacant, if my arithmetic is correct, since January 2018. If and when the vacant position is filled, we will have a net gain of six since January 2018. Is that not correct?

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
What we're doing on social media isn't just effort. It sounds a little harsh but that's just ignorant. It's also research, planning, production, and execution.

This. I have run social media programs for Fortune 50 companies and worked with agencies to develop strategy, write code, implement, set up dashboards and analyze the messaging. Signing up for an account is easy. The rest of the work requires a high degree of skill and expertise and ... the very tools themselves are changing at a rapid rate.

I see no disparaging of CPJ or the former regime any more than I could have criticized folks in my company for their lack of interest. There is an age issue that those 55 and older are virtually completely uninterested in the new technologies and those younger are. It isn't a case of good vs. bad .... it just is.

Let's enjoy the excitement and look forward to a great 2019.

Animal02

Banned
This. I have run social media programs for Fortune 50 companies and worked with agencies to develop strategy, write code, implement, set up dashboards and analyze the messaging. Signing up for an account is easy. The rest of the work requires a high degree of skill and expertise and ... the very tools themselves are changing at a rapid rate.

I see no disparaging of CPJ or the former regime any more than I could have criticized folks in my company for their lack of interest. There is an age issue that those 55 and older are virtually completely uninterested in the new technologies and those younger are. It isn't a case of good vs. bad .... it just is.

Let's enjoy the excitement and look forward to a great 2019.
Every article I have read about the recruiting process.....recruits talk about feeling like family as the primary reason for selecting a school.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Every article I have read about the recruiting process.....recruits talk about feeling like family as the primary reason for selecting a school.

I agree with this (or at least read similar articles). Still, one can't underestimate the impact of social media in D1 today. Kids are engaged as are the fan bases.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
Ryan Wise, the digital content coordinator, was here last year yet the content wasn’t pushed. Santino, who is an additional hire, has done tremendous, but that still doesn’t account for the presence of the coaching staff from CGC down to the GAs impact on social media

Digital content coordination isn't the same thing as brand management. And from what I've read on Ryan he was responsible for video production not social media. That's two completely different animals.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm saying is that I would be shocked if the presence of the coaching staff from CGC down to the GAs impact on social media you're lauding (rightfully so I'd say) wasn't directly related to, if not because of, the work Santino is doing. It is most likely a planned and coordinated effort for all of them in which Santino has oversight. Most of the social media posts by the coaches are probably prepared, manicured, and approved before being sent out. The coaches and other staff have to buy in, which they obviously have and that's great to see, but it's not some spontaneous thing where they all went 'Let's just try to use social media more than the last guys.' That's an oversimplification.

It's definitely possible they do something different but I'm just telling you how I've personally seen these efforts work in my experience.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
I'm excited to have Suddes on board. If nothing else, keeping our recruiting efforts organized and offloading a lot of that from the coaches so they can focus on their job and reach a greater array of potential recruits is really huge. Does that mean CGC can coach a lick or deliver us to the promise land? Of course not. There's a lot of work to be done, but I feel much better with a guy like Suddes on board who clearly adds value in making us better at the work we do.

As for CPJ comparisons and level of support, we should just stop that. They are different guys and we don't have a body of work in CGC to compare to overall. I will say that CGC might be getting more resources than CPJ because clearly he knows what to ask for and comes ready to TStan with a plan and a personal connection to the people to make it happen. He is making TStan's job a lot easier. Also there are a lot of potential donors that wanted a change. That's not really CPJ's fault necessarily, but if it's easier to raise the dough for CGC then he's going to get more. And most importantly I think CGC's clear vision, plan, and personal connections to folks to put it in motion have been extremely exceptional as a coach. This is much more a CGC strength than CPJ weakness. I'm optimistic, but we haven't played any damn games yet.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Help me understand what you're claiming.
Are you claiming...
1.) that most GT athletes that played for CPJ didn't like him?
2.) that most GT athletes that played for CPJ didn't like his offense?
3.) that most GT athletes that played for CPJ think CGC is a better coach?
4.) that most GT athletes that played for CPJ like the way CGC is doing the social media stuff and fun workout stuff better than CPJ?

Or is this about GT athletes that didn't play for CPJ or about GT athletes in general (whether they played for CPJ or what)? The examples you gave were Erin Joe, Calvin Johnson, and Brent Key. Two out of those three didn't even play for CPJ.

What is the proposition here that you're making?

Erin Joe is who came to mind when I typed Joe? OK.