Ken’s AJC article on Patrick Suddes ...

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I have a friend whose son was recruited by GT. The parents were HUGE fans of what GT brought to the table. The son wasn't as big a fan of the school, and went elsewhere. So while CGC is definitely better at letting the public know, I wouldn't say he's any better at letting the parents and recruits know. The difference is that with the extra money and resources, we can now afford a wider and broader scope in our branding efforts. I really don't see why we have to keep trashing CPJ in an effort to praise CGC. CGC is doing an amazing job, but it's not a secret that he has a LOT more resources to work with that were not afforded to CPJ.
I agree. I have said for a long time that our recruiting efforts suffered in the eyes of recruits from an image problem and this goes back before CPJ. One thing I like about what CGC is doing is the rebranding effort which is essentially an effort to make GT "cool" in the eyes of recruits. Winning goes a long way towards the success of that effort, it can't all be done with flashy videos on twitter of the new program culture and promises of "NFL style" this and that. But at least he sees the underlying problem and is addressing it head on and with vigor. I hope it works, I really do.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Back to the original subject, Suddes. I think Suddes will need to go nationwide in a big way in conducting his film reviews and searches for GT’s future football recruits. If I’m not mistaken, I believe Suddes did a good bit of those nationwide searches for his previous employer, Nick Saban at Alabama.

One important question is: will GT’s current football recruiting and travel budget come close enough to emulate Alabama’s? I doubt it, but hopefully some steps (baby steps?) are being taken to work up toward such a goal.

The way I look at it, it’s a seven-year project that reflects Coach Geoff Collins’ seven-year contract with GT (assuming Suddes stays with GT and Coach Collins over the same period).

AlaGTech

Jolly Good Fellow
Guys (and Gals), we are SOOOOO unique and I'm so glad the TStan, CGC, & our supporters want spread the word.

NOBODY has the appeal we have:

1- I've always been proud of our academics but GT has taken a leap from my days as a student in the early 80's to being a WORLD CLASS academic institution with major relevance in this technological age. (Stanford-like)

2- We got the 'hip' and the 'swag' of "The ATL" that even LA and NYC don't have. ("Like Da U in the 80's", Thanks, Snoop)

3- Education minded blacks still send their kids to schools like Morehouse & Spelman and GT had been joined at the hip with the Atl Univ Ctr since the 70's.

4- While we ain't NYC (media wise) or Hollywood (film wise), no P5 school is situated closer to TNT, CNN, and Georgia's movie making industry (particularly Tyler Perry studios).

5- Yet were only an hour or so away from the foot of the Appalachian Trail and all the hunting and fishing a good old country could want.

...and we're still one of the top-25 college football programs of all time boasting names like Heisman, Dodd and Broyles.

This is the time for us to grab this momentum seed CGC has sown and capitalize on it... BIG-TIME.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Re: no. 5 in above post, I should add that there’s a lot of good hunting ‘n fishing down in central and South Georgia, too. LOL (just having some fun here) :)

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
he way I look at it, it’s a seven-year project that reflects Coach Geoff Collins’ seven-year contract with GT (assuming Suddes stays with GT and Coach Collins over the same period).

If CGC is successful in the short term, we might likely lose key assistants like Suddes, but that would be yet again an indication that CGC has put together a stellar staff. We can't be afraid of success to the point we overworry about staff longevity.

(Not saying you were making that point, but I've seen it brought up as a negative)

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Re: no. 5 in above post, I should add that there’s a lot of good hunting ‘n fishing down in central and South Georgia, too. LOL (just having some fun here) :)

I'm a big saltwater fishing fan. 5.5 hrs from where I live in Midtown to the gulf coast fishing spots. I leave early in the morning (usually 5am'ish) and can get there before noon. Also, Atlanta to Savannah is an easy 3.5 - 4hr trip.

For those that like trout fishing, and don't want to drive all the way to North GA, just take a 30 minute drive up 400 and you can fish the northern section of the Chattahoochie just below the Dam.

LOTS of outdoor options for nature lovers in GA. GT seriously does have a LOT of good options if you're a city lover, or an outdoor lover. Even better if you like both as I do.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
If CGC is successful in the short term, we might likely lose key assistants like Suddes, but that would be yet again an indication that CGC has put together a stellar staff. We can't be afraid of success to the point we overworry about staff longevity.

(Not saying you were making that point, but I've seen it brought up as a negative)
But he's built a large part of the staff with guys with Tech ties who I'd image would be harder to lure away due to loyalty and desire to stay in ATL.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Guys (and Gals), we are SOOOOO unique and I'm so glad the TStan, CGC, & our supporters want spread the word.

NOBODY has the appeal we have:

1- I've always been proud of our academics but GT has taken a leap from my days as a student in the early 80's to being a WORLD CLASS academic institution with major relevance in this technological age. (Stanford-like)

2- We got the 'hip' and the 'swag' of "The ATL" that even LA and NYC don't have. ("Like Da U in the 80's", Thanks, Snoop)

3- Education minded blacks still send their kids to schools like Morehouse & Spelman and GT had been joined at the hip with the Atl Univ Ctr since the 70's.

4- While we ain't NYC (media wise) or Hollywood (film wise), no P5 school is situated closer to TNT, CNN, and Georgia's movie making industry (particularly Tyler Perry studios).

5- Yet were only an hour or so away from the foot of the Appalachian Trail and all the hunting and fishing a good old country could want.

...and we're still one of the top-25 college football programs of all time boasting names like Heisman, Dodd and Broyles.

This is the time for us to grab this momentum seed CGC has sown and capitalize on it... BIG-TIME.

The old giant, rousing from its slumber.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
It’s amazing the lengths people will go to defend mediocrity.

We can agree to disagree.
What the crap has CGC accomplished?! He's good at Twitter?! He won 7 and 8 games at Temple?! Yet, you're identifying CPJ, who was a 3-time ACC Coach of the Year as "mediocrity" compared to the JUICE. Now, I do like what CGC is doing, I like the some of the staff hires especially, but to associate "defending mediocrity with people who are not ALREADY sold on this mythical huge leap in accomplishment of the CGC-era over the CPJ-era is asinine. Wins is what it's about! And, not compromising character in the process. We all hope CGC gets there, but we haven't even played a stinkin' game yet. And, we won't know anything for at least 2 or 3, maybe even 4 years.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
When did Facebook, Twitter, & IG cost money? All I’m seeing, TStan loosened up the purse strings for more resources. What’s going on now has nothing to do with cost! It’s all effort at this point

Having money for dedicated staff to man the social media is helpful. Otherwise, you've got coaches and limited support staff with other duties diverting their attention to spend time to generate a broader on-line presence. We now have two spots titled Brand Manager and Digital Content Coordinator on our staff. That's two positions where their full time responsibility is to advertise GT broadly. Those are new created and funded positions. Previously, we had various staff members filling these roles in addition to their other duties. When it's two peoples FULL TIME JOB to ensure we get the message out, don't color me shocked when we see marked improvement in that area.