Kelly Q on the radio

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I would think Michigan, West Virginia, Pitt, maybe Vandy would have fan color coordination situations similar to ours. How do they deal with it?
98% of Michigan fans wear blue to home games. Ok maybe not 98% but I've been to a lot of games in AA and the majority wear blue. Thus the name Go Blue

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Pitt and Vandy have similar, if not worse problems putting butts in seats as Tech. WVU seems to do pretty well going primarily yellow.View attachment 2699
Michigan's crowd is all over the place, like ours, but they put so many fans in The Big House and limit the visitors, that it is a non issue in my opinion.
View attachment 2700
photo 1: WV has a deep cheddar yellow bordering on orange. It's a far cry from the washed out look of old gold.
photo 2: Not sure why you posted it, there is no semblance of color coodination whatsoever.

Here's what you should have used (their yellow is still bolder than our, however):

view-of-orbit-michigan-stadium-with-fans-in-stadium-wearing-yellow-video-id170210517

Here's UCF with basically the same shade of gold and same problem of visual pop as us:

Relocation-Guide-sports-UCF-football.jpg

photo 1: WV has a deep cheddar yellow bordering on orange. It's a far cry from the washed out look of old gold.
photo 2: Not sure why you posted it, there is no semblance of color coodination whatsoever.

Here's what you should have used (their yellow is still bolder than our, however):

view-of-orbit-michigan-stadium-with-fans-in-stadium-wearing-yellow-video-id170210517

Here's UCF with basically the same shade of gold and same problem of visual pop as us:

Relocation-Guide-sports-UCF-football.jpg
Those photos are a little deceiving. First, it is obvious that the majority of the fans in the UM photo are wearing yellow, so obviously it "pops out." And if you look closely at the UCF photo, the majority of the fans, at least in the foreground, are not wearing yellow, but rather a mixture of colors like at BDS. So obviously nothing "pops out."

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Those photos are a little deceiving. First, it is obvious that the majority of the fans in the UM photo are wearing yellow, so obviously it "pops out." And if you look closely at the UCF photo, the majority of the fans, at least in the foreground, are not wearing yellow, but rather a mixture of colors like at BDS. So obviously nothing "pops out."

Here's the thing. Our shade of gold does not "pop" out. It just doesn't. Go watch the "goldout" Vandy game. I love our colors, but Old Gold just doesn't do us justice on TV. Ideally, we should be wearing white to almost every game. I am planning on wearing gold to the UT game, but I think that's one specific game where we should absolutely wear blue. Our gold/yellow is going to blend with their yellow orange, and white is their other color as well. On TV, any overhead shots are going to give the impression that UT fans vastly outnumber the GT fans. Had we been unified in our tertiary color, which isn't shared by UT, the cameras would be able to easily distinguish who is who, and the large GT contingent would get its due. As it is, it's already assumed that UT will outdraw us even though we've sold more tickets.

Here's the thing. Our shade of gold does not "pop" out. It just doesn't. Go watch the "goldout" Vandy game. I love our colors, but Old Gold just doesn't do us justice on TV. Ideally, we should be wearing white to almost every game. I am planning on wearing gold to the UT game, but I think that's one specific game where we should absolutely wear blue. Our gold/yellow is going to blend with their yellow orange, and white is their other color as well. On TV, any overhead shots are going to give the impression that UT fans vastly outnumber the GT fans. Had we been unified in our tertiary color, which isn't shared by UT, the cameras would be able to easily distinguish who is who, and the large GT contingent would get its due. As it is, it's already assumed that UT will outdraw us even though we've sold more tickets.
I have been gifted gold apparel that ranges from Notre Dame gold to UCLA gold, to FSU gold to damn near yellow and everything in between. I think the GT logo, or "Georgia Tech" on it makes it identifiable. This isn't exactly the Crips and the Bloods.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I have been gifted gold apparel that ranges from Notre Dame gold to UCLA gold, to FSU gold to damn near yellow and everything in between. I think the GT logo, or "Georgia Tech" on it makes it identifiable. This isn't exactly the Crips and the Bloods.

Misses my point. The overhead view won't zoom in on whose logo is on individual shirts, and anything that's even close to a UT yellow/orange is going to be credited to UT. God forbid anyone wears an old school Georgia Tech "T" hat or shirt...

Chris Freeman

Jolly Good Fellow
Personally, I like white. It pops, we wear white at home anyway, and quite frankly it's hard to screw up... though we will undoubtedly have people who struggle with it (see our white our attempts.) We will have to start offering more options in the bookstore, especially cold weather gear but outside of that white seems like the obvious answer. As far as other teams like Tennessee having fans that wear white instead of their signature orange, so what, it'll just look like we have more fans sprinkled in on their side of the stadium.