Kel Johnson

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This kid looks like the real deal.

He does at that. But let's wait for his first 100 At Bats. Someone else can comment on which pitches he is strongest and weakest at hitting. I've never seen him play and don't know the holes in his game.

I didn't understand why he was ranked in the top 50 by Perfect Game and not drafted at all by MLB. Someone said he would only go to the Braves so he didn't get drafted. That didn't make sense to me since the lower round draft choices are long shot fishing expeditions.

But it's looking like the Braves and others may have screwed up. Hall has him in clean up for a reason!

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Named ACC Player of the Week

Johnson hit .571 with five RBIs on eight hits, including three doubles and two home runs, to lead the Yellow Jacket offense on opening weekend. In his collegiate debut on Friday night against St. John’s, the native of Palmetto, Georgia, went 4-for-5, becoming the first Georgia Tech freshman since 1998 to collect four or more hits on opening day. For the weekend, he slugged 1.214 with a .571 on-base percentage. He leads the league in total bases and is tied for the lead in hits and home runs.

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
Kel is a beast. Definitely the kind of hitter you can build a team around. If we can get some strong pitching these next few season I think we can make it to Omaha.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/021615aaa.html

So easy when you like what you are doing:
""We would go to the local ballfield and I remember my parents would bribe me into hitting home runs. They would say, `If you can hit it out then we'll go buy you an ice cream bar,'" he recalled, with a laugh. "My priority was to just hit the ball as hard as I could and I figured out a way to do it and that was how I learned to hit. I was never under strict coaching. I just hit.""

Kind of hard not to like the kid:
""It goes against everything in me to help anyone else win but the Yellow Jackets because I've always been a Yellow Jackets fan," he added. "I want to see them win. I want to help them win and I want to do everything I can to make that happen.""

Glad we have Beesball to hold us over for a while!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Love me my Joltin' Jackets. And with Kel in the lineup, should be more apt than in recent years.

Need much better pitching though. I just don't think we have the raw talent on the mound that major programs seem to get....the 96 mph burners who delight the pro scouts...I don't think that is always necessarily the best, but if you don't have that, you had better have great control and be a pitcher out there. Some of our guys are. Some aren't (yet). Can they develop?

Key to the season.....our arms

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
He's ridiculous. We need to bolster the rotation while Kel is still on the team. We could make a good run in Omaha if we do.