Kel Johnson

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
On WREK tonight they said that Kel has no timetable for return. But he took batting practice today and told the announcers that he'll be back "soon". (whatever soon means) Batting coach (Prince) only said there is no timetable in pre-game. Kel obviously wants to play since he will get at most 260 games at GT (65 a year).

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Heard (from WREK) that Kel has continued to take BP and is running everyday. From what he's said, he's getting closer and closer every day. The question becomes when he thinks can run at full speed.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
"As the Jackets look to clinch their season series against Georgia Tuesday in Russ Chandler, they look forward all the more to Kel Johnson'spossible return next weekend at Boston College. Tech was 16-7 with Johnson, and is 8-5 without him.

"We're hoping we're going to get him back next weekend. He has jogged on it the last two days, and he's been taking batting practice this week," Hall said. "I'm hoping another week of some rehab and strengthening that possibly he could get back there next weekend.""
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/041315aaa.html

I don't think that Kel being out is the reason we are 8-5 without him. We also have played better teams than early in the season. But that aside, we are better batting with Superman without question. That .379 batting average and .705 slugging % are awesome. http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/stats/2014-2015/teamcume.html

I think we lost Kel on 24 March against Auburn, so if he comes back on Friday that'll be 3 1/2 weeks out. I'd guess he will DH for a while - can't be slow in the outfield.

Last edited:

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Why is Kel 1-21 since coming back? I usually don't watch but only listen to WREK. Could the hurt ankle be affecting his swing / mind that much? Or have other teams figured out how to make him go fishing?

Here are his stats http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=kel-johnson 39 SO in 113 AB and it seems like 12-15 of those SO have come in the last 20 ABs.

I expect and hope he'll be kept in as DH for the next two series. But if the slump continues, we'll need more firepower against Miami and the ACC tourney. Maybe we need a hypnotist on staff ........

New Old Guy

Jolly Good Fellow
Why is Kel 1-21 since coming back? I usually don't watch but only listen to WREK. Could the hurt ankle be affecting his swing / mind that much? Or have other teams figured out how to make him go fishing?

Here are his stats http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=kel-johnson 39 SO in 113 AB and it seems like 12-15 of those SO have come in the last 20 ABs.

I expect and hope he'll be kept in as DH for the next two series. But if the slump continues, we'll need more firepower against Miami and the ACC tourney. Maybe we need a hypnotist on staff ........

I am definitely no expert, but two observations in answer to your question. First, to my untrained eye he is gradually getting his timing back. At first there were a lot of swings and misses, then foul balls, and now he is putting it in play. Still out, but contact is better. Second, he seems to be favoring the ankle as he runs to first on his ground outs. One of the crew on ESPN3 (I think Roddy) commented on this and that a tender ankle still impacts his swing.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks to Kel for coming to GT and not going to the minors! I've heard some WREK interviews and he is very well spoken and intelligent. Very good representative for GT!

GT22

Georgia Tech Fan
Cool little story about Kel. My family and I went to the Sunday game against Duke in Durham. Kel had a good game and as we were leaving, I noticed Kel walking towards the team bus. I explained to my wife who he was and that he was was highly touted and will be a great player for Tech. My 12 year old daughter overhearing the conversation, leans out the window and yells, "You go, Kel!"
Totally caught him off guard. He looks up and has a sheepish, humble grin! As stated above, seems like a great young man! Happy he is a Yellow Jacket!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Cool little story about Kel. My family and I went to the Sunday game against Duke in Durham. Kel had a good game and as we were leaving, I noticed Kel walking towards the team bus. I explained to my wife who he was and that he was was highly touted and will be a great player for Tech. My 12 year old daughter overhearing the conversation, leans out the window and yells, "You go, Kel!"
Totally caught him off guard. He looks up and has a sheepish, humble grin! As stated above, seems like a great young man! Happy he is a Yellow Jacket!

Feeling the pressure of the young fan, he then gets himself hurt and ruins GT's season.

Thanks a lot @GT22's daughter.