Kel Johnson

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@GTBaseball: .@mandy33love @GTAthletics Enjoy!

Thanks. Is this from GTAthletics? I don't remember GTAthletics putting together highlight clips last year .... or was this from ESPN3?

Either way great. That play by Bailey was fabulous. Between Justus and Bailey, we have one of the best in field 2B/SS out there.

Back to Kel (it's his thread), he chose a good time for his one hit in 5 appearances! His D in the outfield should get a lot better. In the 4th inning with two outs and two on, Kel seemed to get a late jump on the ball. Hurt us at the time but he sure made up for it!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Kel is discussed in D1Baseball - third article"
http://www.d1baseball.com/weekend-preview/weektwopreview2015/

"“What impresses me is he’s a really good hitter first, and is a power hitter second. He rarely wastes an at-bat and just has a really advanced idea of what he wants and is trying to do,” Hall said. “The other night against Georgia Southern, he was frustrated because he was going against a type of pitcher he doesn’t see a lot. He said he hadn’t seen guys like this before."

Hit first and power second. That's great!! I think Kel will figure out D1 pitchers by the end of the season. As the article points out, he really needs work on his OF defense.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Against Auburn, Kel stuck out 3 of 4 times at the plate. No hits so his streak ends at 7 games. Time to start another.

The Auburn pitcher had really good control - and was very effective at varying the speed. Kel along with others chased a lot of pitches which were high. We only had 6 hits ..... their pitcher had Keegan had 9 SOs and 0 walks in 7 innings. That is awesome control.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The "book" will be out on him. It'll be interesting to see how he fairs against the ACC.

And he'll have to learn and adapt. It will be a lot of fun to watch him develop. I think he will, but he won't end the season hitting .400. Maybe .280 which would be fabulous for a Fr.

I was listening to the game last night and the announcer (who was very baseball savvy) was talking about a player who didn't get drafted because the person who guides him thought the player should go to college. So even though he was a great talent, he wasn't drafted because the word was out. Reminded me of Kel's case.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Appreciate ya'lls insight on Beesball.

Hope the pitching comes together so that some of the players that most likely won't be on the team next year can have a good run in the NCAA.

Chan15A

Georgia Tech Fan
Keegan Thompson was no slouch on the mound though for Auburn. Remember, he did start the Championship game for Team USA only 2+ years ago. Lets hold off on the high expectations for Kel and just let him do his thing. I'd like to see Danny Hall move the lineup a bit to the 5-spot or 2 spot, getting him more fastballs. He's still young so lets take some pressure off

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I agree. To think Kel will simply terrorize everyone all year is unrealistic. It is reasonable to think he will have to learn and adjust.

Still an impressive talent and an impressive start, no matter what.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keegan Thompson was no slouch on the mound though for Auburn. Remember, he did start the Championship game for Team USA only 2+ years ago. Lets hold off on the high expectations for Kel and just let him do his thing. I'd like to see Danny Hall move the lineup a bit to the 5-spot or 2 spot, getting him more fastballs. He's still young so lets take some pressure off

I don't doubt what you say, but why does the 5 spot get more fastballs? Doesn't pitch selection depend largely on
1) batter strengths / weaknesses
2) Men on base & # of outs?
3) Count & pitcher strength?

I really don't know.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I agree. To think Kel will simply terrorize everyone all year is unrealistic. It is reasonable to think he will have to learn and adjust.

Still an impressive talent and an impressive start, no matter what.

Ask ND about Kel. 2 hits Friday, 2 hits Saturday and 3 hits Sunday. 7 for 12 with 4 rbi - a solo HR and a three run triple.

Not a bad way to start his ACC career. He got some slow jumps in the OF, but that can be taught. The way he hits is just ..... natural and can't be taught to be that smooth.

GTech63

Helluva Engineer
Ask ND about Kel. 2 hits Friday, 2 hits Saturday and 3 hits Sunday. 7 for 12 with 4 rbi - a solo HR and a three run triple.

Not a bad way to start his ACC career. He got some slow jumps in the OF, but that can be taught. The way he hits is just ..... natural and can't be taught to be that smooth.
There big slugger Biggio didn't make a difference.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm thankful for that. Like with slugger's, when your hot your hot, when your not your not. I also credit our pitcher's and how they pitched to him.

Kel was "cold" for a while too. I liked the result of Kel's golf swing double yesterday.

I guess with a .345 third on team average, .741 team leading slugging % and 18 team leading SOs, you either get really good or bad. The kid is just starting, that should be the terror for teams late in the season.