Justin Thomas

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Other than Shaq, we returned every single OL from last year. OL had issues, but it was the same OL we praised in 2014 minus one player.

Two things: Griffin is a sophomore this year and wasn't a senior last year. Also, Griffin lost his starting spot to Errin Joe last year and was not starting at the end of the year.

Not sure what being a sophomore has to do with anything. Also fairly certain he won the starting job in the spring and kept it before getting injured in the fall.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Some bad information in this thread let me try to clear it up.

Byerly has sent in his hardship application to the ACC. After the season the ACC will rule on it. If they agree with him they will then send it to the NCAA where they will go over it and decide if he will get another year. This will come down next semester based on previous years.

If the ACC decides not to send it to the NCAA then it's dead and his eligibility is gone.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
Not sure what being a sophomore has to do with anything. Also fairly certain he won the starting job in the spring and kept it before getting injured in the fall.

The OP said seniors on the line saved JT last year. I pointed out we only had one senior on the line last year. As far as starting, he played in 13 of 14 games last year. He lost his starting spot to Joe midway through the season.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Some bad information in this thread let me try to clear it up.

Byerly has sent in his hardship application to the ACC. After the season the ACC will rule on it. If they agree with him they will then send it to the NCAA where they will go over it and decide if he will get another year. This will come down next semester based on previous years.

If the ACC decides not to send it to the NCAA then it's dead and his eligibility is gone.

Why the hell does the conference have a say in NCAA eligibility issues??? Recipe for biased bull**** IMO. Just another example of how the NCAA rules are all jacked up. Can we please just trash it altogether?

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Well I was certainly critical of him today but yea he's not the problem. He probably just shouldn't have played today but it's not like Jordan would've won the game.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
If thats the case then, I want to know why or how they regressed so much. CPJ kept talking about the number of freshman on the line not helping JT. Maybe I mis understood
The easy answer is one I've been using over and over again: we never set the dive. "Oh," I hear someone say, "that's because the OL wasn't blocking as well as last year." Let's examine that a moment.

Against Miami we rushed for 314 yards, the most in recent games. Why was that? Because Jordan runs the midline better then JT. By running the midline, we opened up the middle of the LOS. Marshall had his best recent game as well; the Miami D didn't know who to hit. And, since we were doing ok up the middle, the edge game all of a sudden got better too and we had two ABs rush for over 60 yards.

Now, here's the kicker: all of this was with the very same OL we have been - correctly - blaming for our problems this year.

It wasn't da U's D; they've been ok. It was that for the first time in awhile we actually ran the ball like the O is designed to do. And, all of sudden, we could "block".

The reason we did so well on the rush last year was, in part, due to Shaq. But it was also due to being almost foolproof on 3rd and 3 because we had two BBs who ran where they were supposed to and got to the mesh really fast. It was also due to those BBs being big and strong enough to run through an initial hit and being good enough runners to find a crease. Because last year all the OL needed to provide to get the O running right was a crease and it didn't have to be there for very long. And, I might add, the pass blocking was better (not great, mind) because the D was back on its heels waiting for the dive.

You watch: we cure our BB problems and, all of a sudden, the OL will be blocking better.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
The easy answer is one I've been using over and over again: we never set the dive. "Oh," I hear someone say, "that's because the OL wasn't blocking as well as last year." Let's examine that a moment.

Against Miami we rushed for 314 yards, the most in recent games. Why was that? Because Jordan runs the midline better then JT. By running the midline, we opened up the middle of the LOS. Marshall had his best recent game as well; the Miami D didn't know who to hit. And, since we were doing ok up the middle, the edge game all of a sudden got better too and we had two ABs rush for over 60 yards.

Now, here's the kicker: all of this was with the very same OL we have been - correctly - blaming for our problems this year.

It wasn't da U's D; they've been ok. It was that for the first time in awhile we actually ran the ball like the O is designed to do. And, all of sudden, we could "block".

The reason we did so well on the rush last year was, in part, due to Shaq. But it was also due to being almost foolproof on 3rd and 3 because we had two BBs who ran where they were supposed to and got to the mesh really fast. It was also due to those BBs being big and strong enough to run through an initial hit and being good enough runners to find a crease. Because last year all the OL needed to provide to get the O running right was a crease and it didn't have to be there for very long. And, I might add, the pass blocking was better (not great, mind) because the D was back on its heels waiting for the dive.

You watch: We cure our BB problems and, all of a sudden, the OL will be blocking bettwer.

Exactly...well said. Also, they have to block much better if we ever want to be successful throwing the ball and run the correct track.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
I did not have to optimism that most had coming into this season, because of the loss of our RBs and WRs. I was thinking 6-6 with next year possibly being our year. I also agree with the above on Jordan was able to run the midline better which opens up the rest of our offense. I hope Byerly comes back and can play some snaps in addition to JT.

Omahajacket

Georgia Tech Fan

You watch: we cure our BB problems and, all of a sudden, the OL will be blocking better.
Bingo...days and laskey were the motor of our juggernaut offense

upwgdrb

Jolly Good Fellow
JT has two injured shoulders, a bum ankle, and may have to have offseason surgery to repair damage.

The more we know, the less of a knucklehead we all sound like.
If that is true the Jordan should have played a lot more. This is not a knock on JT, but a hard hit at our coaching decisions. That means that minimally JT should have set some series in every game regardless of score.
What happens now if he struggles to recover from sugery?
Also means we will probably not see him in the spring.
Very few people are knocking JT, I have thought he was hurt since ND and it showed.
I think that he does need to go one of the qb schools this summer and work on mechanics and setting his feet. Everyone can get better.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
JT is the guy. After losing Byerly we really didn't have a viable, game ready, backup that could spell him when dinged up. He was not as able to avoid injury this year as last. There was a lot more on his shoulders playmaking wise and he took more damage while trying to do more IMO.

Really hope Byerly gets hardship and returns. Even if not we need someone capable of spelling JT effectively when needed. No I'm not advocating platooning. Though I wouldn't protest over much if Byerly got in for a few drives per game.

Among the many things that clipped our wings this season, I believe losing Byerly was a killer. There were plenty of instances where he could have come in to spell JT for a series and we would have done better. Think of what he did in the Duke game last year. We went through plenty of 3 and out "passing series" when we got behind that Tim would have likely managed better if for no other reason than more of the field is open to him when he throws. JT was operating at 80% much of the season because we did not have a game ready backup.

Scubapro

Banned
I don't see more than a few folks being overly critical of JT on this board but there are plenty of Jack Legs on other boards spewing nonsense.
JT has not been our issue this year. The O line has been horrible. I don't know the reason for their digression this year but something needs to change prior to the spring.
I can only hope that this debacle of a season motivates the kids to work harder during the off season.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What JT needs is work on is passing game under pressure. JT had a mostly SR OLine last year that could help him out when needed, not this year though. This year he has had horrible protection. I want to see how he does with a healthy line next year and a good back up QB if Byerly is back

JT has two injured shoulders, a bum ankle, and may have to have offseason surgery to repair damage.

The more we know, the less of a knucklehead we all sound like.

This wouldn't surprise me. JT is not durable enough to take the punishment he got this year. Not his fault but his parents for not making him bigger / beefier. (Tic)

JT was awful passing this year. And apparently couldn't run the mid-line well. I hope there is robust QB competition coming up. One of my biggest concerns will be his psyche after losing 9 games.

If we can't have two serviceable QBs, at some point we have to admit that this offense doesn't work for GT.

CHE90

Jolly Good Fellow

You call ranking 108 out of 128 in rushing defense "OK"? Miami's defense was putrid.

LibertyTurns

Banned
If we can't have two serviceable QBs, at some point we have to admit that this offense doesn't work for GT.
True, and both need to be able to run the TO and both have acceptable passing skills.
We had such a storied history of recruiting Heisman QBs for the life of me I can't figure out why we went away from that model. Probably the same reason we went away from recruiting defensive lineman.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We had such a storied history of recruiting Heisman QBs for the life of me I can't figure out why we went away from that model. Probably the same reason we went away from recruiting defensive lineman.

Agree that when you recruit in the 40's it's hard to find the magic scheme to keep you in the top 20.

In two more years I think it'll be clear whether CPJ can adapt. After this year I think his Power Ranking will be about or lower than Gailey or O'Leary. So it's a pick your poison. But last year could have been a ceiling for CPJ. Far different than the attitude going in.

Declinometer

Banned
There are a lot of guys who can learn and execute the reads and you don't have to be a burner but you must be hard nosed and able to throw like a QB

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

First, Miami is 108th in rushing D so I would say that they haven't been "ok." Second, I think having 2 NFL WR's on the outside along with Shaq at RG had as much to do with our success up the middle as the bbacks we had.

While MM had a good game against Miami, 8 carries for 74 yards, he actually had his best game against Pitt with a lot of those yards coming up the middle. 10 carries for 159 and 2 TDs against the 24th ranked rush defense is pretty impressive. Both games are great examples of why people like myself wanted to see him get more touches.

I do think being able to run the midline was integral to our success against Miami and a play I've wanted to see more this year, but like you said, Justin just doesn't run it well. Another big part of our success against them was the the speed option with MM. This is another play I've been wanting to see more of, especially with the explosiveness of both JT and MM on the perimeter.