Justin Thomas

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Agree that when you recruit in the 40's it's hard to find the magic scheme to keep you in the top 20.

In two more years I think it'll be clear whether CPJ can adapt. After this year I think his Power Ranking will be about or lower than Gailey or O'Leary. So it's a pick your poison. But last year could have been a ceiling for CPJ. Far different than the attitude going in.

I wish some of the football coach types could look at citidal tapes and wax eloquently as to would those different formations add value in the gt offense.

They beat a sec south Carolina team using much lessor football talent.

I know . I know. We need to practice the same plays etc etc.
But think about the giant log jam of talent we have devloping at ab and bb. if a set of the guys practiced and got real good at the citadel like plays and the another group did our TO, we could throw the defenses a WELL EXECUTED curve for which they were not prepared.
Too many guys with little chance for game time playing time leads to dissension .
Question are the formations enough of a wrinkle to be a big positive ? Or too too much of a change?

HOPFULLY we are way passed the " we won the orange bowl so why change anything" stage.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I wish some of the football coach types could look at citidal tapes and wax eloquently as to would those different formations add value in the gt offense.

They beat a sec south Carolina team using much lessor football talent.

I know . I know. We need to practice the same plays etc etc.
But think about the giant log jam of talent we have devloping at ab and bb. if a set of the guys practiced and got real good at the citadel like plays and the another group did our TO, we could throw the defenses a WELL EXECUTED curve for which they were not prepared.
Too many guys with little chance for game time playing time leads to dissension .
Question are the formations enough of a wrinkle to be a big positive ? Or too too much of a change?

HOPFULLY we are way passed the " we won the orange bowl so why change anything" stage.

FWIW, SCar is #106 in Def FEI. By comparison, Tulane is #89 & georgie #14.

Our problem is not scheme.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Thomas is the least of our problems. I wish he had 15 more years of eligibility left.
15 years of '14? Or '15? I too think he can bounce back to the player he was as a RS sophomore, particularly in the last five games or so -- the first half he was halting and uncertain -- and that player could be a dazzling QB, the one Johnson had waited for. But while I hope he comes back, after seeing him get happy feet again and again, I don't know. I think, given the same set of circumstances -- surrounded by a bad team -- he would have lost his job to a healthy Byerly. Looking back our season spiraled down the drain when he was hurt. Frankly, Byerly is better equipped emotionally to deal with it and his size and passing skills a real plus. (A guy could make some real money betting under on an over/under 5-11 Thomas. In fact, 5-7 would be the bet.) But to the point of the post, if Johnson is serious about not going through 2015 again, every position is going to be zero-based evaluation, and no more of that wink-and-nod "however" allowance. Thomas may be the least of our problems, but make no mistake, he remains a major problem.

tmhunter52

Helluva Engineer
When our offense is clicking on all cylinders, Justin is dynamic. Getting the Bback dive working opens up space on the edge and getting Thomas outside one-on-one is a thing of beauty. But, when the going inside is tough, an experienced Byerly at QB works better. He is a bigger, tougher runner inside and he is a taller, better passer. He can see downfield better. He could make those short slant throws that many have asked for this year. I sincerely hope Byerly gets another year of eligibility. If so, and if Johnson will use him when Thomas struggles, it will help our team tremendously.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Lol whut?
I mean happy feet. He does not start the dance early and has more confidence throwing the ball. (Well, he used to anyway.) Moreover he can see over defenders and just as importantly that nobody thinks about, that additional couple of helmet inches. Man, it can be a traffic scrum back there.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
FWIW, SCar is #106 in Def FEI. By comparison, Tulane is #89 & georgie #14.

Our problem is not scheme.
Frankly there were games when we could have picked a scheme out of a hat and done just as well. Johnson et al have a lot of work ahead, and if reports about the campus police getting into a hassle with a recruit are true, more than just winning problems. I am keeping an open mind there because I know enough about teenagers to know that sometimes being told what to to -- where to sit -- just sets them off. Hope that was the case here.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The biggest difference I think is that we went from an offense dominated by 4th and 5th yr players to one with multiple 1st and 2nd year players. What the heck happened to all the upperclassmen? They weren't all hurt, were they?

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
15 years of '14? Or '15? I too think he can bounce back to the player he was as a RS sophomore, particularly in the last five games or so -- the first half he was halting and uncertain -- and that player could be a dazzling QB, the one Johnson had waited for. But while I hope he comes back, after seeing him get happy feet again and again, I don't know. I think, given the same set of circumstances -- surrounded by a bad team -- he would have lost his job to a healthy Byerly. Looking back our season spiraled down the drain when he was hurt. Frankly, Byerly is better equipped emotionally to deal with it and his size and passing skills a real plus. (A guy could make some real money betting under on an over/under 5-11 Thomas. In fact, 5-7 would be the bet.) But to the point of the post, if Johnson is serious about not going through 2015 again, every position is going to be zero-based evaluation, and no more of that wink-and-nod "however" allowance. Thomas may be the least of our problems, but make no mistake, he remains a major problem.
I agree that every position should be open, but I doubt very seriously that Thomas should be replaced. Thomas didn't turn into a bum this season. He needs help, and hopefully Johnson will find the players who are capable of giving it to him. Then hopefully they'll be properly coached to execute that which they are capable of doing.