Justin Fuente out at Virginia Tech

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Fuente would be an interesting OC candidate. His development of QBs at TCU and Memphis were pretty good (he was Andy Daltons OC and QBs coach at TCU, and developed Paxton Lynch at Memphis). His offenses have been decent to good in the ACC...outside of this season.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Unless you're stroking the check for CGC's buyout, it doesn't make financial sense for GT to fire him until after next season:

If he were to be fired within the first four years, Collins would receive 100 percent of the remaining value of the deal. After that, he would receive $2.4 million for each remaining season. For example, if he were dismissed at the end of the fifth season with two years left, he would receive $4.8 million.

Our best bet is for CGC to hire better assistant coaches, especially at coordinators, and hope that turns the program around. Given the way the contract is structured, CGC is will be starting next season with his seat on fire.
On the other hand, you have to cut your losses at some point.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
On the other hand, you have to cut your losses at some point.

Unless CGC does something obscenely stupid (like being found in his office with hookers and blow), he's going to get at least 4 years. Yes the contract says 7 years, but the way the payout dives down to 2.4 million per year after year 4 means TStan really meant for this to be a 4 year experiment not a 7 year experiment. Given the buyouts of other coaches that have been fired so far, 7.2 million buyout after 4 years is "cheap" on the P5 level. Now you can debate how "cheap" it is versus the possible damage done by keeping CGC...but that's a different discussion.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
So VT fires their Head Coach who gave us the 5th worst home loss (modern era) in our history yet we retain our Head Coach who took Fuente’s beating?…hmmm
Look I don't care one little bit for CGC ( still hope he can do something ) but the fact is now it would be hard to replace CGC too many good programs will be looking for a new coach. Y'all ain't going to like this but it's a fact , when people talk they all say the same thing the ACC need FSU, Miami , and VT to be better for the ACC. People 90% of sports people do not recognizes Tech as a football school sad but true. And now Miami fires their AD so one would think their Head Coach ain't got long. I would guess CGC is laughing now and saying well you Tech fans that want me gone your going to have to live with me for 2 more years. I don't know the bid money people we have if they are willing to put up the money but if I was one I wouldn't throw millions away unless I know for a fact who you can get. Wish Kim king was still here and I don't know if we have another who would do what he did to get George O'Leary to come back.

So if your are like me and want CGC gone , well there is no way now if he only wins 3 next year he will still be here in 2023. So move over Duke it's us and you.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Oh my God, how will those poor folks in the Virginia Appalachian Poverty Zone ever come up with that $10 Million check to fire their Coach? Have mercy on their souls. They will probably have to sell all their land.

Go Jackets!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
jealous-rage.gif

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Any hot coach should have lots of opportunity this year if they want to make a change. I personally don't think VT is that great of a job unless you want to live in a small market in the mountains. They do get good attendance but not much else to do up there. Nice campus. Not much else.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I might eventually merge this in the AD/HC departure list. Can’t say it’s a huge surprise. It gives them a chance to try to hire a good coach.
They have a LOT of competition, and it’s possible that even Texas comes open. They better have somebody in mind.
You will recall that when Fuentes was hired, he was widely considered the "next big thing" among upcoming college coaches. That said, any coach who follows a legend can expect nothing but grief for their trouble. What do Ray Perkins, Bud Carson, JB "Ears" Whitworth, Johnny Griffiths, Bill Battle, Ron Zook, Hootie Ingram, and Doug Barfield all have in common? They followed legends and all were certain they would be successful and were with a couple of exceptions utter failures. Personally, I thought Tennessee was dumb to get rid of Bill Battle who was a consistent winner except when playing Alabama but they did. Urban Meyer won his first national championship at Florida largely with players recruited by Ron Zook whose similarities with Geoff are striking.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
It would do a lot of folks good to read through these couple of Twitter threads and take some time to reflect on their expectations when it comes to college football

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Unless you're stroking the check for CGC's buyout, it doesn't make financial sense for GT to fire him until after next season:

If he were to be fired within the first four years, Collins would receive 100 percent of the remaining value of the deal. After that, he would receive $2.4 million for each remaining season. For example, if he were dismissed at the end of the fifth season with two years left, he would receive $4.8 million.

Our best bet is for CGC to hire better assistant coaches, especially at coordinators, and hope that turns the program around. Given the way the contract is structured, CGC is will be starting next season with his seat on fire.
Geoff is not going anywhere any time soon. This is his program so let him run it. We simply cannot afford to fire him. FSU and Miami can go through coaches like a box of candy but we cannot afford that luxury and it is not the solution. Virginia Tech, once upon a time, stuck with Frank Beamer through numerous losing seasons but was richly rewarded for their patience. Now they fire Fuentes for not being able to clone Beamer Ball. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
He won 43 games in almost 6 years and got fired. So a little more than 7 wins per year. Just for reference, presuming we lose the last two this year, we would have to go undefeated the next two years and win the first four in 2024 to get to 43 wins in 5+ years. Not saying it couldn't happen, but......
Curious. He did win 43 games against 31 losses. Took Virginia Tech to 4 bowls while winning only 1. His best years were the first two when the Hokies went 10- 4 and 9-4. Virginia Tech is currently 5-5 with only a now tainted first game win against then #10th ranked UNC to brag about. They won convincingly last week against Duke and now abruptly decide to get rid of him. Well, they did give him the better part of 6 seasons so we are not in FSU or Miami territory here. 43 wins in 6 seasons would look pretty good to Geoff right now.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Look I don't care one little bit for CGC ( still hope he can do something ) but the fact is now it would be hard to replace CGC too many good programs will be looking for a new coach. Y'all ain't going to like this but it's a fact , when people talk they all say the same thing the ACC need FSU, Miami , and VT to be better for the ACC. People 90% of sports people do not recognizes Tech as a football school sad but true. And now Miami fires their AD so one would think their Head Coach ain't got long. I would guess CGC is laughing now and saying well you Tech fans that want me gone your going to have to live with me for 2 more years. I don't know the bid money people we have if they are willing to put up the money but if I was one I wouldn't throw millions away unless I know for a fact who you can get. Wish Kim king was still here and I don't know if we have another who would do what he did to get George O'Leary to come back.

So if your are like me and want CGC gone , well there is no way now if he only wins 3 next year he will still be here in 2023. So move over Duke it's us and you.

Pretty much. I am rooting for Geoff to get it fixed because the alternative is about a decade of fumbling around. Love him or hate him, we are stuck with him. IIWII

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Geoff is not going anywhere any time soon. This is his program so let him run it. We simply cannot afford to fire him. FSU and Miami can go through coaches like a box of candy but we cannot afford that luxury and it is not the solution. Virginia Tech, once upon a time, stuck with Frank Beamer through numerous losing seasons but was richly rewarded for their patience. Now they fire Fuentes for not being able to clone Beamer Ball. IIWII
Upon further review, Frank was hired in 1987 and went 2-9. After 6 years of futility, his record at Virginia Tech stood 22-40-1 which is remarkably similar to Fuente's record in Blacksburg. It wasn't until 1993 that the Hokies had what could be called a successful year with Coach Beamer going 9-3 and going to a bowl. Patience often has its virtues.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Upon further review, Frank was hired in 1987 and went 2-9. After 6 years of futility, his record at Virginia Tech stood 22-40-1 which is remarkably similar to Fuente's record in Blacksburg. It wasn't until 1993 that the Hokies had what could be called a successful year with Coach Beamer going 9-3 and going to a bowl. Patience often has its virtues.
Fuent has 43 wins