Justin Fuente out at Virginia Tech

slugboy

Staff member
I might eventually merge this in the AD/HC departure list. Can’t say it’s a huge surprise. It gives them a chance to try to hire a good coach.
They have a LOT of competition, and it’s possible that even Texas comes open. They better have somebody in mind.

GTcanWINagain

Banned
Per ESPN:
“We sincerely appreciate the contributions that Coach Fuente made to our football program and the positive impact he made on our student-athletes during his time at Virginia Tech," Babcock said in a statement.

"While it is never easy to make a change, I believe in order for our football program to attain the type of sustained success that is expected at Virginia Tech, the time was right for new leadership of our football program."

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I saw an article a few days ago on the high number of in-season firings. Might have been an AP story. Gist was that the early signing period has changed the decision. If most of your recruiting horses are already in the barn, you can go ahead and pull the trigger. Seems to me this might give us some good possibilities for DC, since there will be a number of strays on the market.

GTcanWINagain

Banned

I reference this commercial because VPI shut us out at home two seasons ago. That was the first shut-out of a Georgia Tech football team at home since this commercial was made. 1957. I'm still ticked off by that.

Me too…and I am ticked at the lack of consequences for GC from it, the Clemson slaughter, & 2019 UGA killing. Yet GT alums & fans are made to feel like **** for expecting basically what are VT’s standards…

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
He won 43 games in almost 6 years and got fired. So a little more than 7 wins per year. Just for reference, presuming we lose the last two this year, we would have to go undefeated the next two years and win the first four in 2024 to get to 43 wins in 5+ years. Not saying it couldn't happen, but......
This is a good point that gets made consistently. And framed the way it is, it leaves the door open for folks to still complain because of the first three years. That's definitely how to message board.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
So VT fires their Head Coach who gave us the 5th worst home loss (modern era) in our history yet we retain our Head Coach who took Fuente’s beating?…hmmm

Unless you're stroking the check for CGC's buyout, it doesn't make financial sense for GT to fire him until after next season:

If he were to be fired within the first four years, Collins would receive 100 percent of the remaining value of the deal. After that, he would receive $2.4 million for each remaining season. For example, if he were dismissed at the end of the fifth season with two years left, he would receive $4.8 million.

Our best bet is for CGC to hire better assistant coaches, especially at coordinators, and hope that turns the program around. Given the way the contract is structured, CGC is will be starting next season with his seat on fire.

GTcanWINagain

Banned
Unless you're stroking the check for CGC's buyout, it doesn't make financial sense for GT to fire him until after next season:

If he were to be fired within the first four years, Collins would receive 100 percent of the remaining value of the deal. After that, he would receive $2.4 million for each remaining season. For example, if he were dismissed at the end of the fifth season with two years left, he would receive $4.8 million.

Our best bet is for CGC to hire better assistant coaches, especially at coordinators, and hope that turns the program around. Given the way the contract is structured, CGC is will be starting next season with his seat on fire.
That’s a one-sided deal if I ever saw one!

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
He won 43 games in almost 6 years and got fired. So a little more than 7 wins per year. Just for reference, presuming we lose the last two this year, we would have to go undefeated the next two years and win the first four in 2024 to get to 43 wins in 5+ years. Not saying it couldn't happen, but......
If he went undefeated for 2 years and we take home back to back NC. Then I dont care! All would be forgiven. Beat the mutts and then rub their nose on our crystal trophies.