Justin Akins to transfer

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Did you go to Tech? It's no walk in the park, even with tutors. This ain't FSU where handlers hound professors and write papers for the SA's and that's in the easy majors which they don't have any at Tech. I'm surprised more SA's don't wash out academically. That alone is a huge testament to CPJ and staff.

No but my mom taught at josh Nesbit's high school green county and I know people that played on his high school team and he managed it alright and from what I know he's not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to academics. They get help cheese. You might have gone to tech but did you go in the last 5-10 years and play football? Didn't think so.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
A Defensive tackle...looked good in his redshirt season and this really hurts our depth at DT moving forward.

This now means in the last two classes we have only signed 1 DT.

Makes the 2015 class crucial for signing good DT's.[/

And this is exactly why I would not get off my legitimate concern at the lack of big nasties in this last recruiting class....We needed to get Michael Sawyer. bottomline.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
No but my mom taught at josh Nesbit's high school green county and I know people that played on his high school team and he managed it alright and from what I know he's not the brightest crayon in the box when it comes to academics. They get help cheese. You might have gone to tech but did you go in the last 5-10 years and play football? Didn't think so.

Well I was at tech not too long ago and I had classes with Brandon watts, JC lanier, and attauchu, and they were always in class. I didn't miss any classes and I can vouch for those three that they did not either (these classes were in the off season). They paid attention and did their part. But to your point ramblincharger, the one class with attauchu was filled with other student athletes and it got curved pretty heavily, even though it was an elective (political science class I think). So you both have valid arguments, tech athletes work very hard compared to schools like FSU, but they also get help every once in a while. BTW the class with watts and lanier was not curved at all.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Yes they get help, but they'd still fail out if they did what 90% of other football players at other schools did. They still have to bust their butts in the classrooms and study halls and that's something most blue chips have no interest in doing.

Has been granted his release.

This is a big loss for us.
I hate when we lose anybody, because it is so hard to get recruits to sign with us in the first place. It is being floated on other boards that it was a schoolwork thing. If true, he needed to go somewhere else. How miserable to be at Tech and not being able to do the work. Many of us, myself included, struggled without playing ball 20 hours a week. It is a grind, for sure even when you are all in. All collegiate rosters are in a perpetual state of flux. We need to adjust and move ahead.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I cannot remember the AE prof's name - I do remember the final - 4 problems - took me 2 hrs to get through the first one, and another 1/2 to check - didn't check - walked out at that point. I took it "out of sequence" the following quarter - had a arch prof, didn't learn a thing more and got a B.

Had a couple of arch prof's that wrote their own books and we were forced to buy them for their classes. Not quite the scam that the prof in the news was running ;)
The worst class that I took (twice) was Flight Dynamics with Panagiotis Tsiotras... I couldn't even pronounce his name. He gave us a test the very first day of class. The next day he handed them back out and told us that if we didn't get a passing grade we needed to drop the course. I got like a 50 something on and defied him thinking that he was just trying to motivate us... Nope, ended up with a D in the class and had to retake. I gotta say, I didn't get it anymore the second time around, but managed a C.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Last comment from me. My wife taught US History as a PhD candidate and had Calvin Johnson, Philip Wheeler and Elris Anyabe in her class. I can say that in that class, the football players worked for their grades, did not get copies of the tests, showed up to class every day (except when traveling for games) and participated. As I remember, she said they did "okay" in the class: she never told me their grades, nor did I ask. I was surprised that no one checked in with her to see how they were doing in the class throughout the Quarter or verified that they were even in class.

There was, however, a freshman on the track team that showed up periodically and did not participate much. He was failing at Drop Day and ended up with a D in the class. She was contacted by someone in the GTAA for him. Maybe that's because he was failing half-way through.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Knew someone who was a PhD candidate at a SEC school with a lot of orange in its color scheme. Said the women's basketball players always were in class and worked hard. Football guys ... eh.