Justin Akins to transfer

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
That's a shame. I was hoping to see him this year in the the two deep. Hard to imagine that it wasn't football related to me. Football players get a ton of help in the classroom. Not cheating help but help with tutoring, forced study hours and other factors. I have a feeling that he either wasn't getting along with the coaching staff or he just didn't think he would get as much PT as he wanted. Maybe it was academics that's just really tough to believe even at GT.

Man you're reeeeaching. Look at it like this. Tutors can't take tests for you. Tests count 80% of your grade, homework (which tutors can help them through) counts 20%. If you can't pick up the material you will fail even with 1000 tutors.

Like @dressedcheeseside said, this isn't some factory where the professors are scared to fail athletes. They have to actually learn stuff. Not only is it believable that it was academics, it's surprising this doesn't happen more.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
With the timing it just appears to be academically related. Agree that it looks like one that could not handle the load even with tutoring. That's not a knock on him... GT's "easy" majors are tough compared to what most SA's take at other schools.
Unfortunately we'll never know how good of a player he could have been at GT.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Man you're reeeeaching. Look at it like this. Tutors can't take tests for you. Tests count 80% of your grade, homework (which tutors can help them through) counts 20%. If you can't pick up the material you will fail even with 1000 tutors.

Like @dressedcheeseside said, this isn't some factory where the professors are scared to fail athletes. They have to actually learn stuff. Not only is it believable that it was academics, it's surprising this doesn't happen more.
To add to this and @dressedcheeseside 's comments, at GT when did anyone get a test that was straight from the material that was taught in class? Tutors can help you learn the material, but in most classes your tests want you to use the knowledge you have learned, not simply repeat that knowledge back which is difficult for a lot of people. Even the non-engineer classes, some of those professors are the worst because they have short-man syndrome and are ready to show the engineers their class matters too. The hardest class my freshman year was US History, never knew there was such thing as a 15 bubble scantron...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
To add to this and @dressedcheeseside 's comments, at GT when did anyone get a test that was straight from the material that was taught in class? Tutors can help you learn the material, but in most classes your tests want you to use the knowledge you have learned, not simply repeat that knowledge back which is difficult for a lot of people. Even the non-engineer classes, some of those professors are the worst because they have short-man syndrome and are ready to show the engineers their class matters too. The hardest class my freshman year was US History, never knew there was such thing as a 15 bubble scantron...

Oh my goodness, I can't "like" this post enough. I will never forget my first chemistry class with Dr. Kim who mumbled in "english" the whole time then gave the most hellified test you can imagine.

Let's just hope Mr. Akins does well wherever he ends up ... and doesn't lob grenades on his way out.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

US History was horrible. I also had a Operations prof. Who bragged about his Exxon job and unnecessarily made 9 different copies of his test. Highest grade on his test was a 63.

Man, things must have been bad to transfer after, give or take, 18hrs into Tech. He is still in his "easy classes"
Best of luck to Akins

Last edited:

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
Do we still have "pink parachute day"? If so, when was it?

Official schedule is: Drop Day was March 7th, withdraw from school day is tomorrow (13th) - with a "W" grade.
These may have been extended a few days because of the snow earlier in the semester.

I don't think that they are called Pink Parachutes anymore though, I think the color of the form changed in the 1990's and it is probably done online now like everything else.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I love to read posts from people who have lived & suffered through the Tech experience! When I think back to those days, it is no wonder that it took me 5 1/2 years straight (only took my first summer off) & that I was THANKFUL to get out with a 2.5 average! It has not & will never be an easy school & I can't imagine the added pressure of being a SA. I hope for the best for Justin and acknowledge that sometimes a student just has to face the fact that Tech is not a fit for everyone. Ma Tech will beat you down & you will either come out stronger or make a different path for yourself.

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III

About that, I had English 2 with a few guys from the team where we got grouped together on the final project due at the end of the semester. They came in the next class with it completely finished. Must have gotten a lot of help.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Oh my goodness, I can't "like" this post enough. I will never forget my first chemistry class with Dr. Kim who mumbled in "english" the whole time then gave the most hellified test you can imagine.

Let's just hope Mr. Akins does well wherever he ends up ... and doesn't lob grenades on his way out.

I had Royer the Destroyer for Chemistry. Keep the textbook and answer key when I transferred. Went to a school that, fortuitously, used the same Chem and Calc textbooks as Tech. I looked like a genius. Which I am, but ....

Animal02

Banned
I love to read posts from people who have lived & suffered through the Tech experience! When I think back to those days, it is no wonder that it took me 5 1/2 years straight (only took my first summer off) & that I was THANKFUL to get out with a 2.5 average! It has not & will never be an easy school & I can't imagine the added pressure of being a SA. I hope for the best for Justin and acknowledge that sometimes a student just has to face the fact that Tech is not a fit for everyone. Ma Tech will beat you down & you will either come out stronger or make a different path for yourself.

I got out with a 2.1, and that was after bring it up for 6 quarters. Out of 500 or so freshmen architect majors that started out....less than 50 of us graduated....and about half that are still in the business.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Not that bad, other men will step up. I am very optimistic about this upcoming year and the future. It seems as though the administration is taking steps to allow the football team to compete with the surrounding universities. Granted Tech will never be on the same level as UGA, LSU, Alabama or AU, but the elimination of restrictions, the creation of a couple of new majors and the added staff have really boosted my opinion of the future of GaTech.

I wish Akins the best, the went through a redshirt year, and wore a GT uniform. I don't care if he never technically stepped on the field. In my book he is still a GT man, so I wish him well.

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
My daughter (current 3rd year) talked about friends of hers whining about a prof named Geronimo. I said; "one of the Four Horsemen". I could not believe that he was still at the Institute. Googled him and yep, same guy, thirty years later. Apparently some things never change.

thocut

Jolly Good Fellow
My daughter (current 3rd year) talked about friends of hers whining about a prof named Geronimo. I said; "one of the Four Horsemen". I could not believe that he was still at the Institute. Googled him and yep, same guy, thirty years later. Apparently some things never change.
At this point I don't know why anyone takes him. You're better of waiting a semester than dealing with Geronimo.

As far as Akins goes, I can't hold that against him. Tech is hard enough for me at times and I don't have 6am football workouts and practice every day.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Anyone have the Bamboo Shaft? I was fortunate to survive 3 reamings: C, B, A

He thought I was insane after 2 F's on 1st 2 tests. F'd the 3rd and he agreed to give me my final exam grade. Said he never had anyone score a better grade on it. I'm sure he regrets that decision to this day that ****.