Justin Akins to transfer

MGTfan

Ramblin' Wreck
Personally, hard for me to consider a defensive end who hasn't played a snap a "big loss". Yeah it kind of sucks, but I'm not going to be watching any of the games thinking, "If only Akins was still here." And he must really hate it if he isn't even going to participate in spring practice. Seems like he would at least practice to see how he did or at least keep him in shape since he's going to be here anyway.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Personally, hard for me to consider a defensive end who hasn't played a snap a "big loss". Yeah it kind of sucks, but I'm not going to be watching any of the games thinking, "If only Akins was still here." And he must really hate it if he isn't even going to participate in spring practice. Seems like he would at least practice to see how he did or at least keep him in shape since he's going to be here anyway.

A Defensive tackle...looked good in his redshirt season and this really hurts our depth at DT moving forward.

This now means in the last two classes we have only signed 1 DT.

Makes the 2015 class crucial for signing good DT's.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Without any (I mean any) information at all, this sounds like non-football issues. I won't speculate further, because I could be totally wrong. However, the timing is incongruent with this being a football-related decision. If it were, I'd expect the request to come at the beginning of Spring semester (like VL), or after Spring practice.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Without any (I mean any) information at all, this sounds like non-football issues. I won't speculate further, because I could be totally wrong. However, the timing is incongruent with this being a football-related decision. If it were, I'd expect the request to come at the beginning of Spring semester (like VL), or after Spring practice.

Agree with all of this. Let's just wish the young man good luck in his future endeavors. Was looking forward to seeing him in the rotation.

ETA: I will say though, that this is the reason we should always take more linemen than it looks like we need. JMHO

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Per the TOS, it was the "academic aspects". Looks GT 1000 claimed another victim. Hard to see this as big loss since he pretty much an unknown

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
When did he start school? I know midterms is this week & that winter semester (quarter for me) can be a bad time at GT.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Let's not over react. He showed potential but he was still down on the depth chart. I would never classify a guy that hasn't played as a big loss. Don't forget he was recruited as a 3-4 DE and was making the transition to a 4-3 DT.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
This may be an example of one of those academic exceptions that gave it a try and decided that the GT academic rigors just were not something he wanted to continue to try and tackle. I'm glad he gave it a try and wish him good luck with the rest of his life. This opens up a spot for someone that might turn out to be even better.

Go Jackets!

PowderSpringsJacket88

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Huge loss for depth and the kid was going to be at least serviceable this year. We need at least 2 DT's this class with SDE who could possibly grow into that position as well maybe...

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
A Defensive tackle...looked good in his redshirt season and this really hurts our depth at DT moving forward.

This now means in the last two classes we have only signed 1 DT.

Makes the 2015 class crucial for signing good DT's.

This is so ironic -"really hurts out depth at DT going forward"--I caught all sort of crap for pointing out by some guys that we didn't have a DT in this last recruit class and will always need that-- DUH!!!!

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Akins was one of the guys that I was most anxious to see play. His HS film looked great at DE but it was clear to me from his frame that he was going to grow into DT size. I will not be surprised if he we hear his name a lot in the future.

Personally, I think his departure stems from Eric and Powder calling him Adkins.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
That's a shame. I was hoping to see him this year in the the two deep. Hard to imagine that it wasn't football related to me. Football players get a ton of help in the classroom. Not cheating help but help with tutoring, forced study hours and other factors. I have a feeling that he either wasn't getting along with the coaching staff or he just didn't think he would get as much PT as he wanted. Maybe it was academics that's just really tough to believe even at GT.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
That's a shame. I was hoping to see him this year in the the two deep. Hard to imagine that it wasn't football related to me. Football players get a ton of help in the classroom. Not cheating help but help with tutoring, forced study hours and other factors. I have a feeling that he either wasn't getting along with the coaching staff or he just didn't think he would get as much PT as he wanted. Maybe it was academics that's just really tough to believe even at GT.
Did you go to Tech? It's no walk in the park, even with tutors. This ain't FSU where handlers hound professors and write papers for the SA's and that's in the easy majors which they don't have any at Tech. I'm surprised more SA's don't wash out academically. That alone is a huge testament to CPJ and staff.