Just asking after watching GT for my entire life.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I don't know any analysis that has been done, but anecdotally ... most of those pushed out by factories are going to ... other factories. Leave Texas, go to Alabama. Leave LSU, go to Auburn. Leave Georgia, go to Ohio State. Yes, a few crumbs might fall through ... but the goal for the BEST players is to play for a team that has a path to the NFL (which means, get on TV). No one is leaving Notre Dame to play for the University of Lower Slobodia.
Which P5 or even FBS schools are not on TV? I hear this statement a lot from sec folks.

roedeo

Jolly Good Fellow
It's unfortunate it has come to this, but we all know where this bus is headed. There's no other alternative other than to endure 1 more year of wandering aimlessly & hope we do not fail on our second attempt to find a replacement head coach at the end of next season. Those of us a bit older feel a little differently about just giving up years as maybe we don't have that many left, however it's not like we can change the channel like on our tv at home. Someone else owns the remote and we're gonna watch whatever they put out there. I do feel sorry for the players, most cannot use the transfer portal without dropping down a couple of levels or more. Gibbs will experience a level of demand and make out good most likely & Yates is marketable either at a struggling P5 or probably 1 level down, not so much the others. If they tried to go sideways, they'd just be jumping from one disaster to another.
^^ Could not have said it any better - thanks!!!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't know any analysis that has been done, but anecdotally ... most of those pushed out by factories are going to ... other factories. Leave Texas, go to Alabama. Leave LSU, go to Auburn. Leave Georgia, go to Ohio State. Yes, a few crumbs might fall through ... but the goal for the BEST players is to play for a team that has a path to the NFL (which means, get on TV). No one is leaving Notre Dame to play for the University of Lower Slobodia.
Now don’t go to sleep on Lower Slobodia, they have a new coach who has promised to change the culture.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
How do they do the math ? I was assuming that players who left before they graduated hurt the %? So by bringing in players who bolt ( portal ) after 2 years does not effect the Grad % ? Just wondering.
I think if a player leaves Tech in good standing, it's not a knock against APR. But that should have nothing to do with graduation rates. I'm assuming that number is based on players currently in the program graduating in 6 years. Don't know if they drop off if they leave before then.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I think if a player leaves Tech in good standing, it's not a knock against APR. But that should have nothing to do with graduation rates. I'm assuming that number is based on players currently in the program graduating in 6 years. Don't know if they drop off if they leave before then.
Tks.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
So, I remember going to the Varsity and the Jr Varsity w my Dad.It was awesome watching 25 inch color TV's. We were not UGA fans, and the AJC was heavy GT. I ended up playing at UGA, so we became UGA fans. My older son played baseball at UGA, Football at GT, my younger Will comitted to CPJ when he was a Sophomore in HS. We were very impressed w the education and the staff. The pitch was the education. So where R U now w the trans portal.. GT used to be Competitive. Even my Sons Freshman year, when they only won 3 game ,they were in every game except for CU , and beat FSU. GT is at the lowest level that I can remember and im 59 years old.
Do you feel like your connection to the program gives you more influence for change than us little people? I’m sorry to hear you’re frustrated but maybe you, and those like you, can influence change.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I don't know if he played or not, but neither did Paul Johnson. What does that have to do with anything? As disappointing as the results have been, I would hate see where our OL and DL and LB would be without transfers. And that's where games are won. Which you should know.
This biggest problem in this locker room--on defense at least-- is a Johnson recruit who has been here four years.
Heck, Sewak ran of a couple of tackles and they had to convert flea's son to tackle, then back to guard.
Tried to help Andy recruit a Tackle in pensacola - they finally sent old coach white down- he just said hi and left. Andy checked the info i gave him on a lineman that played guard and center. Andy asked to offer and sewak said no. Kid is on clemson ol and replaced the injured starter for last 5 games .

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Gained more than we lost? Let’s agree to disagree on that one. Unless we pick up someone huge of course.
Other than Gibbs, who of significance have we lost to the portal prior to graduation? I might be missing someone. AB had a jam up freshman year here, but I think Kyric ultimately would have taken his job. AB had 7 catches for 42 yards and 0 TDs this year at USCe.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
I dont remember a time. in my limited memory, when GT was not competitive. GT needs a new Head Coach. This guy is all fluff and cashing checks. He is not a good coach.
I would also add that any organization begins with good leadership. Top down. Take that as you will. And welcome back OP!

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Do you feel like your connection to the program gives you more influence for change than us little people? I’m sorry to hear you’re frustrated but maybe you, and those like you, can influence change.
I dont have any influence. The people who write the big checks do. Im deff part of the "little people" group ;). Just want to see GT Football competitive again.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Regarding the red, we are one of very few teams who do not have a fan color. It’s our own fault that even when we don’t have an influx from UGA, Clemson, etc that our Bobby Dodd crowd looks like a consortium of random people. If GT fans actually wore a bright, loud color that signified GT those photos and this constant theme wouldn’t be nearly as bad. I always wear Gold/ Yellow. Call me crazy. But very few others do. I’ve seen gray, blue, black, gold, white. It’s just crazy. I remember going to our last bowl game in Jacksonville. The Kentucky section was all wearing blue which looked great. The GT section looked like folks from the local mall. How hard would it be for the school or head coach get behind a program to actually look like a fan base. Heck, KSU had more gold in our stadium than we did.
ND has the same colors as us. They never have embarrassing aerial photos posted of their stadium. Our stadium should look like this for COFH.
1638622559849.jpeg

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
ND has the same colors as us. They never have embarrassing aerial photos posted of their stadium. Our stadium should look like this for COFH.
View attachment 11756
That WAS Georgia Tech in about 1962. What ND did that GT did not, was build a national brand ... barnstorming to LA, NY, etc to play only the best teams they could schedule. We underfunded our program and the we are where we are.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Other than Gibbs, who of significance have we lost to the portal prior to graduation? I might be missing someone. AB had a jam up freshman year here, but I think Kyric ultimately would have taken his job. AB had 7 catches for 42 yards and 0 TDs this year at USCe.
Who have we gained that compares with Sims? I’m missing something I guess.

Those transfers we have gotten have been generally unimpressive. We were supposed to have an excellent offensive line this year because of transfers.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That WAS Georgia Tech in about 1962. What ND did that GT did not, was build a national brand ... barnstorming to LA, NY, etc to play only the best teams they could schedule. We underfunded our program and the we are where we are.
In an earlier era we did do some barnstorming, several decades before I was born, even played in NYC a couple of times.

No we decided a long time ago to not taint our image by going pro (the Bobby Jones approach) not realizing that we needed to invest greater sums of money just to maintain the heights we had achieved. When pro sports came to town in 1966 we did not even try to compete for fans. Lots we could have done differently but alas…