Just asking after watching GT for my entire life.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
So, I remember going to the Varsity and the Jr Varsity w my Dad.It was awesome watching 25 inch color TV's. We were not UGA fans, and the AJC was heavy GT. I ended up playing at UGA, so we became UGA fans. My older son played baseball at UGA, Football at GT, my younger Will comitted to CPJ when he was a Sophomore in HS. We were very impressed w the education and the staff. The pitch was the education. So where R U now w the trans portal.. GT used to be Competitive. Even my Sons Freshman year, when they only won 3 game ,they were in every game except for CU , and beat FSU. GT is at the lowest level that I can remember and im 59 years old.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
So, I remember going to the Varsity and the Jr Varsity w my Dad.It was awesome watching 25 inch color TV's. We were not UGA fans, and the AJC was heavy GT. I ended up playing at UGA, so we became UGA fans. My older son played baseball at UGA, Football at GT, my younger Will comitted to CPJ when he was a Sophomore in HS. We were very impressed w the education and the staff. The pitch was the education. So where R U now w the trans portal.. GT used to be Competitive. Even my Sons Freshman year, when they only won 3 game ,they were in every game except for CU , and beat FSU. GT is at the lowest level that I can remember and im 59 years old.
I think the transfer portal, NIL, and the upcoming SEC realignment were all implemented to benefit the schools with the larger fanbases…ultimately making them more successful and separating the haves from the have nots. Bitter? Angry? Irritated? All of the above.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Good to see you back here flea. can you elaborate a bit on your questionso we can entertain respond with an appropraite amount of thoughtfulness. I am just a few years ahead of you in age. While I don't see this quite as bleak as the dark period around the late 70's/early 80's it is getting there. We need Dr. homer Rice levels of leadership now to get out of the wilderness and we question if we have it at the time being.

pinglett

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the transfer portal, NIL, and the upcoming SEC realignment were all implemented to benefit the schools with the larger fanbases…ultimately making them more successful and separating the haves from the have nots. Bitter? Angry? Irritated? All of the above.
Not that I disagree with you.....I don't. But it is puzzling to me how Wake Forest is able to do it?????

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
We stink right now. We have had several periods where we stunk. Let’s see what happens after the staff changes. If we still stink then we will start over.

Look at GT BB. There have been periods of very high highs and smell bad stinking. We stink in 2018-19. Won the ACC in 2020-21.

Hope

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
Flea, I’m glad you are still on this this site. I always enjoyed your posts. I’m interested in what your son has to say about the current state (if you’re at liberty to say). I’ve been a GT fan since the sixties and a sidewalk-fan-season-ticket holder for 15+ years. I’m frustrated with the way things are going (both during and after this season), but I know my negativity may be an emotional response, so I would like to hear from someone who is more invested with the program than me.

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
Not that I disagree with you.....I don't. But it is puzzling to me how Wake Forest is able to do it?????
Good point. I think moving forward that there will be fewer and fewer outliers like Wake but if Wake has a chance, so do we.

FWIW, I’m not opposed to NIL but I am opposed to the disparity it will create. I wish all the NIL money went into a pool and was equally distributed to all athletes, men’ and women’s. This would keep the crazy money in the pockets of the crazies and might slow transfers.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Good to see you back here flea. can you elaborate a bit on your questionso we can entertain respond with an appropraite amount of thoughtfulness. I am just a few years ahead of you in age. While I don't see this quite as bleak as the dark period around the late 70's/early 80's it is getting there. We need Dr. homer Rice levels of leadership now to get out of the wilderness and we question if we have it at the time being.
I dont remember a time. in my limited memory, when GT was not competitive. GT needs a new Head Coach. This guy is all fluff and cashing checks. He is not a good coach.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I dont remember a time. in my limited memory, when GT was not competitive. GT needs a new Head Coach. This guy is all fluff and cashing checks. He is not a good coach.

Like I said, this period is the same or slightly better as our previous dark days from 79 to 83 when we won 15 games. And we agree that he is not a good coach and has one year (due to financial constraints) to prove that he isn't.

WTBS, there isn't one school (Bama, OSU, ND, UT (Austin),Oklahoma, USC west...meaning the true upper echelon of football shools) that hasn't hired a dud or two. I am of the mindset that this too shall pass. Just have to keep keeping on as they.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
Confused all over that post.

But, this transfer portal gets the worst wrap. If you really are unhappy with where you’re at - playing time or not - why is it so looked down on to move on? These players are basically taking a job when they sign their NILs.

Say I have a great job, but, after 3 years, I’m not happy about management, my location and where I think I could end up in 5 years? If I leave that job because I’m taking a bet on myself and want to take a chance somewhere else, should I just get crapped on?

This idea of “keep working behind starters for years - it shows integrity!” Is bull.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Confused all over that post.

But, this transfer portal gets the worst wrap. If you really are unhappy with where you’re at - playing time or not - why is it so looked down on to move on? These players are basically taking a job when they sign their NILs.

Say I have a great job, but, after 3 years, I’m not happy about management, my location and where I think I could end up in 5 years? If I leave that job because I’m taking a bet on myself and want to take a chance somewhere else, should I just get crapped on?

This idea of “keep working behind starters for years - it shows integrity!” Is bull.
Because , it used to be you were at a school you were a team player, and not a me only POS. This all started w basketball. One and done. GT is screwed w the new system. Face it, "most" players who believe in " money down" dont want to go thru the academics at GT. GT is screwed.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I agree. But we have been going down for a long time.
The option hide the lack of money and recruiting.
We finally got the grad rate up about the time your son arrived.
Your son burning his redshirt ( Lets go Sewak) late in the year was a sign the ol was getting thin. When 18 ended we really were thin. Loved the option and your sons play. He was a warrior.

But till we fix the money its all smoke and mirrors. Gt donates and attends at near the bottom.

I think this new bunch has done well w recruiting. But they made major strategic errors and like cpj they stuck w certain failing coaches to the detriment of the team and Players. Your son in particular.

green&gold

Jolly Good Fellow
Hey, man, we are ok. It’s alright. We benefit from the portal as much as the next school. We will pull in some guys that want to be here. I get it with Collins and the “Money Down.” In this era, with all the money on the table, we can get kids from that portal. Academics or not.

We are in a bad coaching stretch. Every school goes through it. Bama before Saban, etc. everything will be alright.

But, questioning players desire to play, be in a different setting, or whatever that they believe to be best for them… ain’t it. Wish them the best for being at Tech and let them go. We will get the right kids that want to be here and will work to be here.

Collins and his money down are on a short leash. Plus, with how crazy this crazy coaching stuff has been going on, we avoided the best time not to hire a new coach

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree. But we have been going down for a long time.
The option hide the lack of money and recruiting.
We finally got the grad rate up about the time your son arrived.
Your son burning his redshirt ( Lets go Sewak) late in the year was a sign the ol was getting thin. When 18 ended we really were thin. Loved the option and your sons play. He was a warrior.

But till we fix the money its all smoke and mirrors. Gt donates and attends at near the bottom.

I think this new bunch has done well w recruiting. But they made major strategic errors and like cpj they stuck w certain failing coaches to the detriment of the team and Players. Your son in particular.
MY Boiled Shrimp Takegate friend ! To think GT w the academics, can keep players who think, their $ is in the NFL, is not going to happen. GT lost the 2 best players in the " portal". The Portal and the BS NCAA letting boosters pay players is the nail in the coffin. Will beat UGA IN 2016. I have the hedge... Its gonna be a historically long time before that happens again.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
The idea that the portal benefits the blue bloods is just a myth. The mid level teams benefit way more from the portal than the factories. Name me all these top level players that UGA and Bama have gotten from lower level teams thru the portal? It’s a total myth. Sure, some guys have moved from factory to factory like Fields or more recently Haselwood. But mostly depth guys at factories are portaling to lower level teams for playing time. And don’t give me a sob story about Gibbs. Gibbs is leaving because we are a bad team.

As a GT fan I am glad the portal exists. It gives us a way to get players who would never take our phone call thru regular high school recruiting. Plus, it gives us a way to process guys without the guilt.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
Hey, man, we are ok. It’s alright. We benefit from the portal as much as the next school. We will pull in some guys that want to be here. I get it with Collins and the “Money Down.” In this era, with all the money on the table, we can get kids from that portal. Academics or not.

We are in a bad coaching stretch. Every school goes through it. Bama before Saban, etc. everything will be alright.

But, questioning players desire to play, be in a different setting, or whatever that they believe to be best for them… ain’t it. Wish them the best for being at Tech and let them go. We will get the right kids that want to be here and will work to be here.

Collins and his money down are on a short leash. Plus, with how crazy this crazy coaching stuff has been going on, we avoided the best time not to hire a new coach
I never bash players. They have a extremely hard schedule. My point is GT always prides itself in Grad rates. Which if u actually care about players, that's the standard. I jus†believe this transfer portal, is not good for GT.

flea77

Ramblin' Wreck
The idea that the portal benefits the blue bloods is just a myth. The mid level teams benefit way more from the portal than the factories. Name me all these top level players that UGA and Bama have gotten from lower level teams thru the portal? It’s a total myth. Sure, some guys have moved from factory to factory like Fields or more recently Haselwood. But mostly depth guys at factories are portaling to lower level teams for playing time. And don’t give me a sob story about Gibbs. Gibbs is leaving because we are a bad team.

As a GT fan I am glad the portal exists. It gives us a way to get players who would never take our phone call thru regular high school recruiting. Plus, it gives us a way to process guys without the guilt.This

So this is so NOT GT...

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
MY Boiled Shrimp Takegate friend ! To think GT w the academics, can keep players who think, their $ is in the NFL, is not going to happen. GT lost the 2 best players in the " portal". The Portal and the BS NCAA letting boosters pay players is the nail in the coffin. Will beat UGA IN 2016. I have the hedge... Its gonna be a historically long time before that happens again.
Georgia football 160,000,000 per year
GT 30,000,000.

WE ARE AL MCORN TO THEM.

GOT TO FIND 30,000,000 MORE A YEAR.