JP MASON!!!!

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
And to Add, Howard and Griffin are running well also. Running backs we do not lack.

Absolutely. That TD run by Griffin, that was called back, was pretty snazzy as well. I thought Choice might pull a hammy celebrating on the sidelines too.

kg03 was pretty impressed on the re-watch yesterday. So fun watching games with that little dude. At his age (10-11), it's like everything's new.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Absolutely. That TD run by Griffin, that was called back, was pretty snazzy as well. I thought Choice might pull a hammy celebrating on the sidelines too.

kg03 was pretty impressed on the re-watch yesterday. So fun watching games with that little dude. At his age (10-11), it's like everything's new.
So he’s 10 and 11 at the same time? Mind blown..... :D

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Saw a video of JP Mason bouncing around enjoying the W among a crowd of players in the locker room--looked fine, and I took it as a good sign. We're going to need him. He caught my eye in person at Clemson, and has continued to make people miss at an extremely high rate. Wonder how many YAC the kid averages.

On top of this, when he was flat out on the ground and the training staff ran over I got nervous because even CTC had enough time to get out to him before he was moving.

However then a female trainer was laughing and smiling at him on the ground so I suspect he said STTE of “damn I am tired”. If it was suspected to have been something serious I doh t she would have been so jovial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
What I absolutely love about JP's running style is his reacceleration in a North-South direction after contact or making a cut. A good comparison is Dwyer, who only ran a 4.6 but whose power/explosion/reacceleration after contact made him look like his hair was on fire as he moved through the trash.

Look at Mason's picture in the tweet above. Dude is a specimen. Yeah I think his vision is good, maybe even above average. Yeah I think he cuts quickly at speed, maybe even above average. But it's when he bursts through the trash--shedding folks like he's coated with grease as someone put it above--that's what's giving him separation. Lots of guys can accelerate. Very few can do against the various resistances, challenges to balance, and changes in momentum/direction that constitute a run through the trash. As ibeeballin put it, the run in OT was running like a MAN.

I also like that JP seemed to get stronger and run harder the longer the game went. Good backs do that.

Deleted member 2897

By comparison, here are the all time leaders in rushing yards for Georgia Tech:
1) Robert Lovette: 4,066 (81-84)
2) Jerry Mays: 3,699 (85-89)
3) Eddie Lee Ivery: 3,517 (75-78)
4) Tashard Choice: 3,365 (05-07, 3 years)
5) PJ Daniels: 3,346 (02-05)

Jordan Mason currently sits at 1,249 with almost half a season left, and then 2 more years after that. If he keeps averaging the 6 ypc he averaged last year and this year, and doesn't miss games due to injury or splitting carries again, he'll finish somewhere between 3,400 - 3,700 yards. You can see where that would slot him here. He had 108 carries all of last year compared to 95 already this year. TaQuon and Oliver took most of his carries last year. :D

But folks, long way to go, but we've got a good one.

He would also finish somewhere between 30-40 TDs, which would also rank Top 5. #1 is Robert Lavette with 45.

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I liked JP last year, but he seems more comfortable running in this scheme. Not that vision, patience, and footwork aren’t effective in CPJ’s offense but they are more important in a zone blocking scheme and they look to be Mason’s strengths. He also has good quickness in traffic, good strength, and sheds lower body angle tackles. Definitely the most pleasant surprise to me this year. Credit to Coach Choice as well, maybe his coaching has played as big or bigger role in his improvement(?) Regardless, happy he’s in white and gold.
I agree 100% with your post. I also think his improvement is aided by the improvement in Graham's ball handling. Before Miami, I saw little or no deception in our ball handling. But Saturday there were several times when he even confused the camera man. Makes a huge difference.

Sent from my ASUS_Z01RD using Tapatalk

GTballer21

Jolly Good Fellow

Jordan Mason currently sits at 1,249 with almost half a season left, and then 2 more years after that. If he keeps averaging the 6 ypc he averaged last year and this year, and doesn't miss games due to injury or splitting carries again, he'll finish somewhere between 3,400 - 3,700 yards. You can see where that would slot him here. He had 108 carries all of last year compared to 95 already this year. TaQuon and Oliver took most of his carries last year. :D

He would also finish somewhere between 30-40 TDs, which would also rank Top 5. #1 is Robert Lavette with 45.

The crazy thing about Tashard’s numbers is that he was only at Tech for 3 years.. and his Sophomore year he was the #2 RB behind PJ Daniels.. he got most of those yards his Jr & Sr year. I can see Mason breaking his way in the top 5 if he stays through his Sr year.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Yeah, just another example of how the cupboard isn't quite as bare as oft stated. It definitely isn't full, but exaggerating it doesn't help.

I think most of the posters who discuss talent deficiencies on this squad are not talking about individuals per se but more about position groups. Even our 3 win team from several years ago had talented individuals at certain spots (JT at QB for instance). I am one who has talked about lack of talent and depth being an issue this year, especially along the line of scrimmage, but certainly recognize that we have many outstanding individual players. I think most of us believe that the talent level is imbalanced. For example, I believe our secondary group is as good as anybody we face and I include the 2 teams that bookend our schedule. Put them behind Clemson's front 7 and I think they would be very difficult to complete passes against.

Obligatory disclaimer - yes, I do remember the Citadel game and have not forgotten the outcome. No, I do not believe that we have less talent than they do.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck

Would love to see him get more touches and break the top 5. What is impressive to me is how well he is doing having to split time at the position. I wonder what his numbers would look like if he had more carries this year?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

If he balls out next year I wouldn’t be surprised to see him leave for the NFL. Even then, he could end up with 2,700-3,000 yards.