JP MASON!!!!

GoldZ

Ramblin' Wreck
I think most of the posters who discuss talent deficiencies on this squad are not talking about individuals per se but more about position groups. Even our 3 win team from several years ago had talented individuals at certain spots (JT at QB for instance). I am one who has talked about lack of talent and depth being an issue this year, especially along the line of scrimmage, but certainly recognize that we have many outstanding individual players. I think most of us believe that the talent level is imbalanced. For example, I believe our secondary group is as good as anybody we face and I include the 2 teams that bookend our schedule. Put them behind Clemson's front 7 and I think they would be very difficult to complete passes against.

Obligatory disclaimer - yes, I do remember the Citadel game and have not forgotten the outcome. No, I do not believe that we have less talent than they do.
My smartassed post is directed at the "our guys only got FCS offers" posters.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
We are thin at TE and DL and not RB. If LJ leaves after this season we will be thin at QB unless TO does both QB and WR.

jojatk

Helluva Engineer
We are thin at TE and DL and not RB. If LJ leaves after this season we will be thin at QB unless TO does both QB and WR.

Honest question: What's a normal number of QBs on scholarship? Your post made me wonder about that in general as I have no idea. Is it 4? Is it 3? Is it more?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
By comparison, here are the all time leaders in rushing yards for Georgia Tech:
1) Robert Lovette: 4,066 (81-84)
2) Jerry Mays: 3,699 (85-89)
3) Eddie Lee Ivery: 3,517 (75-78)
4) Tashard Choice: 3,365 (05-07, 3 years)
5) PJ Daniels: 3,346 (02-05)

Jordan Mason currently sits at 1,249 with almost half a season left, and then 2 more years after that. If he keeps averaging the 6 ypc he averaged last year and this year, and doesn't miss games due to injury or splitting carries again, he'll finish somewhere between 3,400 - 3,700 yards. You can see where that would slot him here. He had 108 carries all of last year compared to 95 already this year. TaQuon and Oliver took most of his carries last year. :D

But folks, long way to go, but we've got a good one.

He would also finish somewhere between 30-40 TDs, which would also rank Top 5. #1 is Robert Lavette with 45.

A couple of those years during the early 1980s, Lavette was about all we had. When we paired him with Keith Glanton/ Malcom King at fullback we were cooking then.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I can’t figure out what metric he’s graded on for this.

They claim that they watch every player in every game for the NFL and major NCAA teams. For running backs, they claim they grade on:
  • Missed Tackles Forced
  • Elusive Rating
  • Breakaway Percentage
  • Yards Per Route Run
  • Drop Rate
  • Pass-Blocking Efficiency
https://www.pff.com/news/pro-pff-signature-statistics-a-glossary

Apparently they have a lot of subscribers from gamblers and fantasy leagues who use stats for ranking players and teams.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Right..... not sure why it took so long.
I think there were competing agendas and the Staff was not organized. They made a humongous deal out of changing the offense, so they couldn’t just hand the ball off to Mason or let Oliver run & use that to set up the pass because they got themselves in a position where that would look odd.

I’ll attribute this to growing pains. Improve, improve some more, and keep improving after that and the bitching will go away.