Josh Okogie to hire agent and stay in NBA Draft

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">236 total players - 181 from colleges and 55 international players declared as early entry candidates for the 2018 NBA Draft. NCAA withdrawal date is May 30 — 10 days after the combine ends.</p>&mdash; Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) <a href="">April 24, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

crut

Helluva Engineer
It's starting to look more like Okogie is on the outskirts of the 2nd round. It'll be vital to his chances to get an invite to the combine.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Less tongue in cheek, I will be really surprised if he doesn't get an invite to the combine.
At the end of the process he and his "advisors" will have conversations with teams and will be told whether they would draft him in the first or second round. He will have to be on his guard but at the end it is usually pretty clear if he is a first round pick or not.

Beyond that he has to make a decision whether he is ready to put up with being a second round pick or not.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
We should know something today about the combine. I wonder if his likelihood of staying at Tech absent a shot at the first round will affect coaches' interest in extending him an invitation.
I don't think that'll be a factor. That thought process would extend to many (most?) of the early entrants.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I don't think that'll be a factor. That thought process would extend to many (most?) of the early entrants.
Maybe so, but there are 236 guys in the draft pool. The scouts have had an opportunity see a lot of JO the past two years and know he might return to school even if invited to the combine. If I do not see him getting into the 1st round it doesn't make much sense to invite him unless I might change my mind about him being an early pick.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe so, but there are 236 guys in the draft pool. The scouts have had an opportunity see a lot of JO the past two years and know he might return to school even if invited to the combine. If I do not see him getting into the 1st round it doesn't make much sense to invite him unless I might change my mind about him being an early pick.
Sure, there are some who have hired an agent and are full go. Maybe that is a factor.

But imo, your last two sentences apply to a significant chunk of the 236. Look at the list of ACC entries that don't have an agent and tell me who doesn't fit that description.

I think the NBA will invite him if he's good enough and similarly teams will invite him in for workouts.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Next years draft looks pretty weak by comparison. I am still of the opinion that he will be back. Seeing what we are seeing from prognosticators so far kinda shows that being in the first round is unlikely. It would mean a pretty.......stubborn......decision by Josh to stay in and he doesnt strike me as that type of kid, unless he really just wants to get out.

On the flip side of that coin, there are certain fanbases on twitter who seem to absolutely love his game.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
If Josh and I were friends I would encourage him to do his very best to make an impression on the scouts in workouts and at the combine. But, as a fan I would love to see him return for another season.