Josh Okogie to hire agent and stay in NBA Draft

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
My advice, if my son were facing this decision, is to look down the road 5-10 years and ask yourself where you might be with each of your current choices. The short term passes very quickly.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
If he comes back, he'll probably work with Swartz as his position coach. Maybe he knows something.

What's Swartz's resume?

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
“But in terms of NBA upside, Okogie shines as the superior talent. He is the best 3 + D wing prospect in the draft, and is clearly worth a lottery selection. I expect Okogie to rise up draft boards as he outshines higher rated scrubs such as Chandler Hutchison and Aaron Holiday throughout the draft process.“

https://deanondraft.com/2018/03/22/who-is-the-best-3-d-wing-in-the-draft/
I love Josh Okogie and though my hopes are dimming with each passing day, I fondly hope JO comes back for another season. He is a real potential NBA player and the Jackets will be light-years better with him than without him. We need him. That said, JO is NOT AN NBA DRAFT LOTTERY PICK. PERIOD.

slugboy

Staff member
I hope that the draft is flooded by high talent players from other schools, so that
1. The Hawks get great players
2. Our opponents are missing key pieces next year
3. The draft is flooded with players and JO comes back for one more year
4. JO looks great playing against what's left after everyone declares for the draft. (almost typo'ed "graft". should have kept it).
5. Next year's draft is empty and JO can go in round 1.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The only thing that'll make me happy if Okogie stays in draft is if the Hawks take him.

Not now that Budenz is likely gone. :banghead:

With his developmental culture, he could've taken Oko to the next level. Now?

H-Wade

Ramblin' Wreck
The 2019 ESPN mock draft has Okogie going 21. Cmon Josh follow ESPN's advice and stay another year! ;)

ETA: They have Nas going number 2 overall. Gotta give credit to our staff for seeing his talent before everyone else.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Figured a timeline with some context will be helpful at this point.

As of April 20
(my unofficial quick tally):
  • 55: # of underclassmen who have declared with an agent or intent to sign an agent
  • 94: # of underclassmen who have declared without an agent
  • Note: That means with seniors + Euro there are likely 200+ in the NBA draft pool now.
April 22: NBA early entry deadline
April 24: NBA teams can start contacting players to either schedule workouts or watch that prospect work out.
April 27: Invitations to the NBA combine go out to approx. 70 players
May 16-20: NBA combine
May 30: Deadline to submit decision to return to college (Note: The NBA's deadline to withdrawal from the draft is June 11, but the NCAA requires athletes to submit a written statement announcing their decision to remove their name from the draft by 11:59 p.m. on May 30 (10 days after the end of the combine) in order to maintain their collegiate eligibility.)

Per ESPN's Jonathan Givony, of the 64 underclassmen who declared for the draft last season and kept their names in, 37 were drafted.

crut

Helluva Engineer
Figured a timeline with some context will be helpful at this point.

As of April 20
(my unofficial quick tally):
  • 55: # of underclassmen who have declared with an agent or intent to sign an agent
  • 94: # of underclassmen who have declared without an agent
  • Note: That means with seniors + Euro there are likely 200+ in the NBA draft pool now.
April 22: NBA early entry deadline
April 24: NBA teams can start contacting players to either schedule workouts or watch that prospect work out.
April 27: Invitations to the NBA combine go out to approx. 70 players
May 16-20: NBA combine
May 30: Deadline to submit decision to return to college (Note: The NBA's deadline to withdrawal from the draft is June 11, but the NCAA requires athletes to submit a written statement announcing their decision to remove their name from the draft by 11:59 p.m. on May 30 (10 days after the end of the combine) in order to maintain their collegiate eligibility.)

Per ESPN's Jonathan Givony, of the 64 underclassmen who declared for the draft last season and kept their names in, 37 were drafted.

Wow, so 55 signing with agent are only the underclassmen. Probably at least 30 or so upperclassmen that are NBA worthy players.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We should get the official list from the NBA this week given the deadline was yesterday for players to declare.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Is that full time on a roster, made a roster at all or how did it get calculated? IOW how does that include 2 way G League players?
here is the second round of the 2017 NBA draft. I will let you research which had TW contracts:

2017 NBA draft 2nd round:

#31 Pelicans: Frank Jackson (PG) - Duke (Ranked #37) - missed entire NBA season due to injury
#32 Suns: Davon Reed (SG) - Miami (#44) - played 21 games for Dallas, 11.5 minutes/game, 3.0 ppg
#33 Magic: Wesley Iwundu (SF) - Kansas State (#40) - 3.7 ppg for Orlando
#34 Kings: Frank Mason III (PG) - Kansas (#45) - 7.9 ppg as backup PG for Sacremento
#35 Grizzlies: Ivan Rabb (PF) - California (#29) - 5.6 ppg as backup for Memphis
#36 76ers: Jonah Bolden (PF) - Australia (#31) - played professionally in Israel
#37 Celtics: Semi Ojeleye (SF) - SMU (#30) 2.7 ppg as backup for Boston
#38 Warriors: Jordan Bell (C) - Oregon (#36) - 4.6 ppg in mostly backup role for GS
#39 Clippers: Jawun Evans (PG) - OSU (#38) - 4.8 ppg as backup for LA
#40 Hornets: Dwayne Bacon (SF) - FSU (#48) - 3.3 ppg as backup for Charlotte
#41 Hawks: Tyler Dorsey (SG) - Oregon (#47) - 7.2 ppg as backup for Atlanta
#42 Lakers: Thomas Bryant (C) - Indiana (#54) - 1.5 ppg as rarely used backup for LA
#43 Rockets: Isaiah Hartenstein (C) - Lithuania (#26) - played in G league
#44 Knicks: Damyean Dotson (SG) - Oregon (Unranked) - 4.1 ppg as backup for NY
#45 Rockets: Dillon Brooks (SF) - Oregon (Unranked) - 11.0 ppg as starter for Memphis
#46 Bucks: Sterling Brown (SG) - SMU (#43) - 4.0 ppg as backup for Milwaukee
#47 Pacers: Ike Anigbogu (C) - UCLA (#27) - 1.2 ppg as rarely used backup for Indiana
#48 Clippers: Sindarius Thornwell (SG) - South Carolina (Unranked) - 3.9 ppg as backup for LA Clippers
#49 Nuggets: Vlatko Cancar (SF) - Slovenia (#53) - played professionally in Europe
# 50 76ers: Mathias Lessort (PF) - France (#35) - played professionally in Europe
# 51 Nuggets: Monte' Morris (PG) - Iowa State (#50) - played in G league
# 52 Pacers: Edmond Sumner (PG) - Xavier (#42) - played in G league
# 53 Celtics: Kadeem Allen (SG) - Arizona (Unranked) - 1.1 ppg as rarely used backup for Boston
#54 Suns: Alec Peters (PF) - Valparaiso (#39) - 4.1 ppg as rarely used backup for Phoenix
#55 Jazz: Nigel Williams-Goss (PG) - Gonzaga (#60)- played professionally in Europe
#56 Celtics: Jabari Bird (SG) - California (Unranked) - 3.0 ppg as rarely used backup for Boston
#57 Nets: Aleksandar Vezenkov (PF) - Spain (#55) - played professionally in Europe
#58 Knicks: Ognjen Jaramaz (PG) - Serbia (Unranked) - played professionally in Europe
#59 Spurs: Jaron Blossomgame (SF) - Clemson (#59) - played in G league
#60 Hawks: Alpha Kaba (PF) - France (#46)- played professionally in Europe

I'm worried Pop my be in his ear and all he's seeing is $$$$$ and not actually seeing the facts. Yes the NBA does draft now a lot based on potential, but with that comes risks and too often good kids are left out in the cold.