Jose

78pike

Ramblin' Wreck
A nice article about Jose from nba.com

Nice tidbit
I think the bigger issue for him is why he's checking his cell phone at halftime instead of concentrating on the game. Maybe that is a common occurrence in the NBA, but if I'm his coach and reading that after he went 0-7 shooting I might be a little upset.

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
I have always been a fan of Embid's game, but that is some grown-man **** right there.

Much respect to him for recognizing that and helping out his fellow man. Big Joel Embid going forward!
I like Embiid's game but some of the other stuff with him like trolling other players annoys me. But I can't do anything but respect his deed and words about Jose.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, that's the kind of thing I'd probably keep to myself if I were Jose. Totally understand why Embiid offered, but $2k on a $460k+ 2-way salary for Jose this year might lead some to scratch their head for accepting it. I know if I were banking almost half a mil this year I'd probably say "thanks for the offer, but I can handle it myself."

deeznats

Jolly Good Fellow
Yeah, that's the kind of thing I'd probably keep to myself if I were Jose. Totally understand why Embiid offered, but $2k on a $460k+ 2-way salary for Jose this year might lead some to scratch their head for accepting it. I know if I were banking almost half a mil this year I'd probably say "thanks for the offer, but I can handle it myself."
The $460k assumes he plays the max games in the NBA, right? He got a much lower salary for the time he was in the G-league and could be sent back at any time.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
The $460k assumes he plays the max games in the NBA, right? He got a much lower salary for the time he was in the G-league and could be sent back at any time.
I have no idea. I was just going by the numbers in the article. As a 2-way player, I would expect him to make much less, but I have no idea how much or how it's allocated.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I have no idea. I was just going by the numbers in the article. As a 2-way player, I would expect him to make much less, but I have no idea how much or how it's allocated.
@deeznats is correct so he is making less than $460K but his costs as a professional athlete are also quite high including paying an agent etc. He probably had lots of personal costs in the G-league and costs associated with getting himself NBA ready that he's paying back. Even if he was making ~460 and played all 82 games, that's like $5600 per game, then take away agent fees and taxes and getting a $2K fine basically means he worked for free that day. I agree with you that it's first world problems but this incident along with his teammates chipping in to buy Jose's family tickets to see him at MSG makes me think he doesn't have lots of excess cashflow. Also if his agent is any good, he's probably making sure Jose is putting a lot of that cash away for a rainy day. The pay disparity in the NBA is crazy

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
@deeznats is correct so he is making less than $460K but his costs as a professional athlete are also quite high including paying an agent etc. He probably had lots of personal costs in the G-league and costs associated with getting himself NBA ready that he's paying back. Even if he was making ~460 and played all 82 games, that's like $5600 per game, then take away agent fees and taxes and getting a $2K fine basically means he worked for free that day. I agree with you that it's first world problems but this incident along with his teammates chipping in to buy Jose's family tickets to see him at MSG makes me think he doesn't have lots of excess cashflow. Also if his agent is any good, he's probably making sure Jose is putting a lot of that cash away for a rainy day. The pay disparity in the NBA is crazy
I 100% agree with all of this. I just meant that if it were me, I'd not be advertising that Embiid offered to pay the fine. Let Embiid say it first.

Jazzchaz

Jolly Good Fellow
Perhaps an expert on this can correct me, but I think a player on a two-way contract receives half the minimum NBA salary for someone with zero years experience . In this case $462,629. I think the limit was 50 NBA games but they might have done away with that for Covid. At what point a team would have to convert the two-way contract to a rookie contract is a mystery to me. Perhaps it's 50 games but definitely if a team wanted a player available for the playoffs. Go Jose!

Last edited:

slugboy

Staff member
Perhaps an expert on this can correct me, but I think a player on a two-way contract receives half the minimum NBA salary for someone with zero years experience . In this case $462,629. I think the limit was 50 NBA games but they might have done away with that for Covid. At what point a team would have to convert the two-way contract to a rookie contract is a mystery to me. Perhaps it's 50 games but definitely if a team wanted a player available for the playoffs. Go Jose!
Covid changed a bunch of rules in the past two seasons. I’ve looked up some of them before because we discussed it here. I think the NBA just went through more rule changes because they had to go up to 30+ players on some rosters to field nearly full teams for games.

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope Jose is still getting minutes when the pelicans come to Atlanta in March. My all-time favorite jacket, absolutely love his fire