Jordan Yates

Sean311

Helluva Engineer
we have enough play makers with our RB's, McGowan, and improving TE that we don't have to rely on a super star QB to carry the O. Just get the ball to the right guys and athletic enough to scramble without making turnovers. So far Yates has done that. Will be interesting to see when Sims is able to go. I like Sims in the red zone when healthy with his running bit Yates is no slouch either.
Ya sims in the red zone with some zone read plays or RPO would be really nice.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Sims will get his chance, regardless. It's not a platitude, it's not lip service, and coaches actually follow it. I'm not saying Sims gets well and starts. But he will get his chance to show what he can do. He's not going to be relegated to back up just because Yates has made his play.
This.

First of all, I agree with @forensicbuzz about the principle involved.

But beyond that, there are multiple, logical reasons to want to give Sims more chances:
  1. Yates is graduating after this season and who knows whether he will come back to play next year. Might we not want to develop someone else?
  2. iirc, Sims was elected captain. By the players. That says something to me. Actually, it says A LOT to me. You don't abandon a kid in those circumstances.
  3. Everyone keeps saying Sims has more potential in the long run. The ONLY way to determine if he can develop is...to give him chances.
There are probably more reason, but those are the ones this fan can see. I certainly do not advocate just dumping Yates for Sims, once Sims is healthy, BUT I also don't advocate just dumping Sims. We need to give him chances and see what happens. Maybe we get far enough ahead (or behind) someone in a future game and that presents the perfect opportunity to give Sims some extended playing time.

kalld12

Banned
@iceeater1969 How did we go from Ahmarean Brown tying Calvin Johnson’s Freshman TD record to not being able to generate any long throws? Seems to me we’ve regressed in that area despite the talent.
Yeah since Graham we haven't been able to throw the deep ball consistently, but Graham also struggled with intermediate throws so its kind of a mute point. You bring up a good point though, we've definitely regressed there, but hopefully we will see some improvement through the year. I've been very impressed with our receiver core so far this year, and for the most part were very young at WR. I'm optimistic we will see some bigger plays from that group as the season progresses.

jacketz212

Jolly Good Fellow
This.

First of all, I agree with @forensicbuzz about the principle involved.

But beyond that, there are multiple, logical reasons to want to give Sims more chances:
  1. Yates is graduating after this season and who knows whether he will come back to play next year. Might we not want to develop someone else?
  2. iirc, Sims was elected captain. By the players. That says something to me. Actually, it says A LOT to me. You don't abandon a kid in those circumstances.
  3. Everyone keeps saying Sims has more potential in the long run. The ONLY way to determine if he can develop is...to give him chances.
There are probably more reason, but those are the ones this fan can see. I certainly do not advocate just dumping Yates for Sims, once Sims is healthy, BUT I also don't advocate just dumping Sims. We need to give him chances and see what happens. Maybe we get far enough ahead (or behind) someone in a future game and that presents the perfect opportunity to give Sims some extended playing time.
QB as a captain is automatic, so that’s irrelevant, IMO.. How many teams have quarterbacks that aren’t captains? Could probably count on one hand (lol)

Competition is king at Tech right now, but when Sims does get healthy I don’t think he should get first shot. Much less a shot unless we’re ahead by a good bit

Last edited:

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
QB as a captain is automatic, so that’s irrelevant, IMO.. How many teams have quarterbacks that aren’t captains? Could probably count on one hand (lol)
Yeah, too much made of that. The players will rally around whomever's getting the job done behind center. Being captain doesn't make you QB for life. Besides, if he's a captain he's a leader. A leader will do his best, be ready whenever the coach puts him in and keep a good attitude. That's what he's there for, just like all the players. It's a team sport. All for one and one for all. As a captain, I assume Sims has those qualities of leadership.

Last edited:

LibertyTurns

Banned
Yeah since Graham we haven't been able to throw the deep ball consistently, but Graham also struggled with intermediate throws so its kind of a mute point. You bring up a good point though, we've definitely regressed there, but hopefully we will see some improvement through the year. I've been very impressed with our receiver core so far this year, and for the most part were very young at WR. I'm optimistic we will see some bigger plays from that group as the season progresses.
Yeah, we can’t seem to get the full package. A lot of highly regarded QBs have made nice careers out of dink and dunk.

Play your strengths.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
General question for the folks on this board...

I was checking out Yates' stat line and ESPN is crediting him with an INT. I assume this is on the final lateral play of the Clemson game. I always thought that since he passed the line of scrimmage that a lateral that was caught by the other team would count as a fumble and not an INT since it is a backwards pass on a run play.

Or am I just totally wrong and I missed an interception on another play in the game.
Correct. Lateral. Fumble recovery.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Obviously this is all moot until Sims is ready to return, but my feeling right now is that Yates has earned the right to start. Not getting a TD against Clemson was disappointing, but no team has done that yet and he moved the offense better against Clemson's D than any other QB has so far this year.

I would start Yates until he has a bad game, and then you insert Sims. I don't think starting Yates means Sims doesn't play. It can simply mean he plays where the coaching staff finds it advantageous to play or he plays once Yates has a bad game (which will happen eventually, it does to all QB's).

My biggest takeaway so far from this thread was the QBR ratings. If the QB's at Clemson, Miami and VT don't start playing better they all have more losses in their short term future. Their numbers are so far below all the others.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*
Because he made throws Yates simply can't and made plays with his legs that Yates can't. Yates does an admirable job keeping the ball in our possession, but we very rarely take any shots whatsoever down field and we call a much safer game. Many more hitches, slants, swing passes that make Yates' job a little easier. With Sims last year, the playcalling was much more open and risk taking. Sims was also a true freshman with NO spring practice at all. Yates is in his 3rd year in the system now, and those things make a difference.

You take what the defense gives you. Why am throwing deep when defense is playing soft coverage. This will be the first week we will get a chance to stretch the field

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer

Competition is king at Tech right now, but when Sims does get healthy I don’t think he should get first shot. Much less a shot unless we’re ahead by a good bit
A freshman being voted as captain is highly unusual, regardless of his position, so there's nothing automatic about it. Sims will get his shot and it won't be delayed. That's the way it works. To do differently is the sign of a bad coach who will eventually lose the team. Don't think that happens here.

Edit: I'm not equating a shot with starting. He will get his shot. It may not be to start the game, but he'll be given the opportunity to "keep" his playing time when he's healthy again.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So Yates is like Tevin Washington :)
Yates does remind me of Tevin Washington as far as his physical abilities are concerned, albeit with a slightly stronger arm and is a bit tougher runner.
But he also calls to mind George Godsey's quick thinking.

VRTechFan

Georgia Tech Fan
Yates has certainly been better than I thought he would be, but the way some people in here are talking about him you would think we scored 5 touchdowns against Clemson instead of ...zero.

He’s been solid. I’d still rather us start Sims. Much higher ceiling imo. Has a much stronger arm and a better runner. Just has to hope he holds on to the ball.
That's the problem. He can't hold on to the ball. Last year he had some of the strangest turnovers when the ball just slipped out of his hands while pump faking or throwing the ball. I have more confidence with Yates right now. As someone else has mentioned, there is an ease when Yates is leading the offense. He can lead the team to scoring opportunities, but if plays breakdown he protects the ball.

VRTechFan

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't understand how y'all can still say Sims should be the starter above Yates... Sims had 23 total turnovers last year!!! And already had one this year in his limited playing time that he did have.. Yates has 0 turnovers in 75 pass attempts and 32 carries! It's hard to beat anybody when you're constantly giving the other team the ball and keeping our defense on the field! Yates is by far better game manager, better leader and better competitor!
Preach!! "But Sims is bigger, faster, stronger, and a higher ceiling.."