Jordan Tucker....

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
I disagree. He would have probably played more minutes at GT than at Duke, but I never saw what why he was a 4 star recruit. Known for his shooting, he didn't shoot the ball well at all at the HS level, and there was no part of his game that said "ACC". Looked the part though...6'7 guy with a college body. Saw him play in person twice, and I was kinda shocked that GT was going that hard after him.

IMO, he would have have been another Alston type player. Haywood, Alvarado, and Wright would have made more of an impact as TFr than Tucker.
With suspensions and injuries we’ve had this year??? We have guys like Moore and AD getting real PT. I’m not saying he would’ve been a star, but he would’ve gotten significant PT.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
Tucker is one of those guys with a big reputation and lots of hype that never seems to live up to it on the court. Entirely possible he could be a kid that just needs a change of scenery to prove me wrong. Something tells me he'll be the next Chase Jeter. Over-hyped kid that just never shows much beyond being a decent role player in P5 hoops

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Tucker would have been an improvement over Alston for sure but wouldn't have really addressed our issues.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I do not think GT was really ever in play for him!! It was between Cuse and Duke... ( I think he transfers to a school outside of the ACC if he is all about playing time)

Tucker was a late addition to Duke’s 2017 recruiting class. Before committing to Duke he was expected to commit to Syracuse. But Duke’s coaching staff made a strong push for Tucker late, after missing out on top recruit Kevin Knox when he chose to sign with Kentucky.

Tucker said when he came to Duke his desire was to be a key player, but he fell behind in the rotation with the emergence of players like Marvin Bagley III and Wendell Carter Jr. “It was pretty simple for me. I just needed playing time,” Tucker said in a phone interview Sunday. “Nothing negative. I just needed to play at the end of the day. And coach understands it. It was a mutual agreement.”
Link
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article192392054.html

GTFLETCH

Banned
Tucker is one of those guys with a big reputation and lots of hype that never seems to live up to it on the court. Entirely possible he could be a kid that just needs a change of scenery to prove me wrong. Something tells me he'll be the next Chase Jeter. Over-hyped kid that just never shows much beyond being a decent role player in P5 hoops
You just described most High School Athletes!! Well I hope CJPs 2018 4 star class (that everyone is drunk on) is not over hyped!

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think Alston would have been in front of Tucker and i don't think it would have been that close.
Alston is giving us just about what i expected from him - currently 6.5 ppg, shooting 40% from three, 82% FT. He has about a 1.5:1 asst:TO ratio. 2.4 rpg. He's a guy that should be a reserve, but has had to play more due to the injuries and suspensions. if Haywood hadn't gotten injured i think Alston would be playing a fair bit less at this point.

i think Alston would have outperformed Tucker in both practice and games. Alston's experience would likely have given him a leg up.

I'm not particularly sad we missed on Tucker. Maybe he commits himself to the point he develops into a really good college player- but that it yet to be seen.

Alton is a guy that won't make alot of mistakes. will have the occasional big game and not be a detriment to the team.

bos

Helluva Engineer
Tucker would have been an improvement over Alston for sure but wouldn't have really addressed our issues.

What are you basing this off? I watched many Wheeler games last year, and I can tell you Alston is a much better player.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Alston is shooting just 32.8% overall which is only ahead of Gueye, by .3% of those who play significantly. In terms of ppg, he's scored 52% of his points in three games against teams that are 277, 324, and 334. And in general his stats are all inflated by those games against terrible teams. Against better teams he provides us nothing but FT shooting which isn't going to be that much of a positive because he won't be getting to the line that often, and is constant allowing penetration off the dribble which has been a big reason our 3 point defense has been so bad because it's forced more rotations than normal, although he's not the only reason. He also has poor movement on both sides of the ball.

msargent1

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Alston would have been in front of Tucker and i don't think it would have been that close.
Alston is giving us just about what i expected from him - currently 6.5 ppg, shooting 40% from three, 82% FT. He has about a 1.5:1 asst:TO ratio. 2.4 rpg. He's a guy that should be a reserve, but has had to play more due to the injuries and suspensions. if Haywood hadn't gotten injured i think Alston would be playing a fair bit less at this point.

i think Alston would have outperformed Tucker in both practice and games. Alston's experience would likely have given him a leg up.

I'm not particularly sad we missed on Tucker. Maybe he commits himself to the point he develops into a really good college player- but that it yet to be seen.

Alton is a guy that won't make alot of mistakes. will have the occasional big game and not be a detriment to the team.

I agree 100%! The least of our problems is Alston's play, and in fact, he tends to settle things down when he comes in. He isn't explosive and has limitations, but if our 3 top players were hitting on all cylinders, I don't think people would be as critical of him.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
With suspensions and injuries we’ve had this year??? We have guys like Moore and AD getting real PT. I’m not saying he would’ve been a star, but he would’ve gotten significant PT.

That's my point. Tucker wasn't a good player in HS, and he definitely would not have been a good enough player at GT to unseat someone like Alston. Moore is a better player than Tucker is, and Moore isn't getting that many minutes (before his hiatus).

msargent1

Jolly Good Fellow
I’m not pushing for Tucker, but this popped up on my Twitter feed. He looks like a really good shooter ... of course he isn’t being pressured by anyone.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
id love to have tucker the ballplayer and ill pass on tucker the head case if there is such a problem???? chemistry is so important on a team like ours and in basketball in general.

from what ive seen and am seeing... we have a good chemistry going. lets not upset that for the sake of an unproven talent that could be disruptive. ill let cjp be the best judge of that. if he does come to gt i will be a fan.

Silk3

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not pushing for Tucker, but this popped up on my Twitter feed. He looks like a really good shooter ... of course he isn’t being pressured by anyone.

Im not a fan of people starting their shot from the opposite side. Right hander starting motion on left...which looks like he does. Makes shooting off dribble and off screens much more difficult

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
First off, ACC transfer rules will make it extremely unlikely he ends up at any ACC school.

Second, while he has looked good in AAU ball, it has tended not to translate into games as much. Having seem him a couple of times with Wheeler last year, he never seemed to find his comfort zone.

Also, his demands to the staff made him a guy i didn't mind on missing last spring.

msargent1

Jolly Good Fellow
First off, ACC transfer rules will make it extremely unlikely he ends up at any ACC school.

Second, while he has looked good in AAU ball, it has tended not to translate into games as much. Having seem him a couple of times with Wheeler last year, he never seemed to find his comfort zone.

Also, his demands to the staff made him a guy i didn't mind on missing last spring.

Again, not pushing for GT to pursue, but I am curious about the demands he made ... what were they?