Jonesing for some updates from practice

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mesh timing and letting the ball hit the basket is what I am talking about... not defenders disrupting the mesh.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Mesh timing and letting the ball hit the basket is what I am talking about... not defenders disrupting the mesh.

Along the same lines, the BB knowing when to let the QB pull the ball is huge. If the QB makes a late keep read but the BB thinks the ball's been in his gut long enough to make it his, that can easily lead to fumbles. JT was dynamite at riding it out to the last split second possible before pulling it out, yet I don't remember many mesh fumbles with him because the BBs trusted him to make the right call.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

I get ya. I'm just saying the mesh, barring fumbles, works primarily as defenders react to seeing it, and their reaction to it is greatly affected by how hard the bback is to stop when he does keep post mesh.

If the Bback is punishing a D, defenders will react to stopping the dive even if the mesh isn't "sold" perfectly by the QB mesh. Like defending a one two boxing combo. If that first punch is bloodying your opponent's nose, he will start reacting strongly to prevent it, setting up the second punch in the combo. If the Bback is giving em hell, defenders will crash to stop the dive if the QB even feints at handing it to him.

But yes, if the QB n BB mesh things up by playing tug of war....well after spring and fall practice this should not be a problem with any of our QBs / BB combos imo.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Along the same lines, the BB knowing when to let the QB pull the ball is huge. If the QB makes a late keep read but the BB thinks the ball's been in his gut long enough to make it his, that can easily lead to fumbles. JT was dynamite at riding it out to the last split second possible before pulling it out, yet I don't remember many mesh fumbles with him because the BBs trusted him to make the right call.
Proper technique requires no guessing. If the ball hits the belly it's a give. If the qb tries to pull at that point, the fumble is on him.

potatohead

Ramblin' Wreck
I hope the depth chart reads JORDAN or MARSHALL. Why give UT any info? Let them continue to prepare for two different styles.

Agreed, and expect maybe two "ORs" on the depth chart at QB....For all the secrecy and dodging of starter questions, its highly unlikely CPJ will disclose the starter when they release the chart. He could just add more fuel to the fire and use 4 "ORs" and the board will implode...