Jones

Sideways

Helluva Engineer
Jones isn't moving to Aback. The only reason he came to Georgia Tech is because PJ recruited him as a qb and promised him he would play qb. Extremely similar to the JT situation. His larger offers wouldn't promise him that opportunity. Just the facts, ma'am.

JJ is a quarterback period. Mark my words Jay Jones will be the starter one of these days. He has that IT factor all over him. Of course, TM has plenty of IT in him too. Best not sleep on LJ either. Do we really need to recruit another quarterback for 2018 class? Just asking.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a good discussion, as the QB situation has been a huge mystery all year. Some thoughts:

1. JJ got in the game because he hadn't played yet.
2. We don't know the pecking order beyond who is number 1.
3. JJ can do things athletically that all of our other QBs, including the current starter, couldn't even dream of doing. He had two plays and both were impressive in their own way. I hope we all appreciate everything that lead up to the 9 yard gain on his second snap. He operates at higher voltage and that is the simple truth.
4. Those who want him to take snaps at AB or whatever need to stand down. This kid is our future and we need him working to develop as fast as possible at QB.
5. I have seen a total of maybe 20 snaps with him at QB (including things like the spring game) and I am already more excited about him than ANY offensive player in the CPJ era. JT's HS film was breathtaking. JJ is starting from even another level, if you can believe it. We need to toss QB fertilizer on him and give him plenty of sunshine and water.
6. TM has already exceeded my expectations and I am so proud he is our QB. What an amazing kid. He may start the whole year, who knows? In any case, he will really be pushed and it won't be until next year before it happens.
7. I have no idea where JJ is in his development. However, his potential seems pretty obvious to me. All he needs to do is keep his head screwed on tight and keep working.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
JJ is a quarterback period. Mark my words Jay Jones will be the starter one of these days. He has that IT factor all over him. Of course, TM has plenty of IT in him too. Best not sleep on LJ either. Do we really need to recruit another quarterback for 2018 class? Just asking.
Yes, If we fi nd one with a higher ceiling than jj.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
TM had almost no in game experience. I get that it definitely helps to have in game experience, but I don't think that would be the deciding factor. That's why TM is the starter.

Also most of our plays have been up the middle this year if I'm not mistaken.
1. Well … no game experience as a QB, yes. He had some experience running the ball, however. Every minute on the field counts.

2. With the BBs, yes. We've hardly run the midline, however. If Jordan has to play (again, absit omen), we'll see a lot of that.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
1. Well … no game experience as a QB, yes. He had some experience running the ball, however. Every minute on the field counts.

2. With the BBs, yes. We've hardly run the midline, however. If Jordan has to play (again, absit omen), we'll see a lot of that.
We have ran a ton of QB follows though right?

Deleted member 2897

Something I'm surprised to not read more about on here. On the play where Jay Jones got flushed and scrambled (and then the hard hit), Nate Cottrell ran a great wheel route and was open for a touchdown. So let's just stop and think about that for a minute. With 2 minutes left in the game and up 35-17, a team that doesn't throw much anyway was about to throw a long touchdown pass. UP YOURS NARDUZZI.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Something I'm surprised to not read more about on here. On the play where Jay Jones got flushed and scrambled (and then the hard hit), Nate Cottrell ran a great wheel route and was open for a touchdown. So let's just stop and think about that for a minute. With 2 minutes left in the game and up 35-17, a team that doesn't throw much anyway was about to throw a long touchdown pass. UP YOURS NARDUZZI.
Just in a different thread.
https://gtswarm.com/threads/pitt-postgame-discussion.13072/page-9#post-345556

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Swinney was not trying to run it up against Louisville, in the sense of pouring it on, and he actually used three QBs and his son the walk-on got in for a play very late (one reception, no gain ...hmm.) But he was clear in his post-game comments after some wrote off Clemson's late win last year: "I wanted to make sure there was no doubt this time." And tacked up 47 or so. Petrino might be a little more discreet now.

dfwjacket82

Georgia Tech Fan
You know, I think if we are "trending" toward anything, maybe it is better recruiting. Ever imagine Johnson having the depth at QB he seems to have? Or losing two top drawer B backs and coming up with two more on the spot? Or the list of A backs on the roster? I guess Saturday was the first time it hit home to me.

all driven by our OL getting really good at what they do

That disappointing year a couple years ago the OLine looked befuddled all year and nothing much happened good.

and we even seem to have extra ones!

Of course we do have really good skill people, seem to do better when they don't have multiple guys waiting on them at the line of scrimmage.