Jones

Deleted member 2897

Are we trending into 2 year starts being a regular thing for QB? (excl Nesbitt, JT). Wouldn't this affect recruiting? After all, CPJ has always said the best kid on the high school team is the QB right?

Um, these 2 guys (Nesbitt, JT) make up 7 of the last 10 years, including all 3 of the last 3. I don't think there is a trend there.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
At this point I don't see what benefit we get from MJ getting #2 reps. If we are building for future MJ is odd man out, move him to another position and let the way more talented freshmen develop and get them ready to compete for starting position next year.

In the few snaps I've seen MJ take this year he looked like a spaz out there. LJ and JJ looked more poised and confident. I know it's a small sample size but that's all we got to go on.
No. PJ threw the kid a bone.

I see it a little differently. If MJ is still the next best chance to win games we have to keep him game ready. If TaQun goes down, we need a qb who knows and can execute the whole playbook, not just a handful of plays. He may be slower and less dynamic, but that is only one factor of many that decide ability to lead the team on offense and win games.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
I'd love to see the kid buy into A Back if QB doesn't get him on the field. The speed he had on the run where he knocked himself and the Pitt QB had me and the Mich St fans I was with in shock at how quick he was up the middle. That all said "that kids needs the ball in his hands!"

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I see it a little differently. If MJ is still the next best chance to win games we have to keep him game ready. If TaQun goes down, we need a qb who knows and can execute the whole playbook, not just a handful of plays. He may be slower and less dynamic, but that is only one factor of many that decide ability to lead the team on offense and win games.
I don't think he can execute the passing parts of the playbook as well as either freshman. [ducks]

wreckrod

Jolly Good Fellow

He's slower and less dynamic when he's playing well. But so far every time he's been in he's looked terrible. I'm not convinced he's an upgrade over Johnson or Jones.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He's slower and less dynamic when he's playing well. But so far every time he's been in he's looked terrible. I'm not convinced he's an upgrade over Johnson or Jones.
That's why GT pays CPJ to coach and not you or me. I don't think anybody on this board truly knows the depth chart at qb which is dynamic as well (it can change day to day).

Milwaukee

Banned

I wouldn't say MJ has looked terrible, that doesn't sound fair. I will agree though that the other guys, even not knowing the system as well, appear to give us a much better chance of winning games.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Jones isn't moving to Aback. The only reason he came to Georgia Tech is because PJ recruited him as a qb and promised him he would play qb. Extremely similar to the JT situation. His larger offers wouldn't promise him that opportunity. Just the facts, ma'am.
TaQuan played Aback in the interim before his move to qb. Anthony Allen played Aback before moving to Bback. It's not unheard of to mark time at Aback until your future role opens up. It sure beats sitting on the pine.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I remember Snoddy having special plays, that utilized his speed, just for him in 2013. Why not do the same for JJ. Don't move him from QB, but have a play just for him at AB...

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Um, these 2 guys (Nesbitt, JT) make up 7 of the last 10 years, including all 3 of the last 3. I don't think there is a trend there.
You know, I think if we are "trending" toward anything, maybe it is better recruiting. Ever imagine Johnson having the depth at QB he seems to have? Or losing two top drawer B backs and coming up with two more on the spot? Or the list of A backs on the roster? I guess Saturday was the first time it hit home to me.

Milwaukee

Banned
You know, I think if we are "trending" toward anything, maybe it is better recruiting. Ever imagine Johnson having the depth at QB he seems to have? Or losing two top drawer B backs and coming up with two more on the spot? Or the list of A backs on the roster? I guess Saturday was the first time it hit home to me.

Not to derail from Jones, but Saturday was the first time in years that I felt we could get pressure with just our front 4. It seems you're right about recruiting. Anree and Simmons off the edges are tough to deal with.

Deleted member 2897

Anree Saint-Amour can bench press 420 pounds. If I tried to act like an OL and did some 1 v 1 drills with him, he could literally punch all the way through my chest and out the other side like the voodoo guy from Indiana Jones.

giphy.gif

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think Coach would go with Jordan if (absit omen!) TaQuon got hurt. The reason is simple: he's had more game experience and he's won a game under tough circumstances. The R-freshman need more game experience before they take the field. And that's why Jones came in; the game was out of reach for the other side, given the way the D was playing, and Johnson had had a series against JSU. No need to put in Jordan; they know what he can do.

If Jordan does end up having to play (absit omen!!), then the team will look different. I think one reason why TaQuon beat him out - besides his injuries, that is - is that Dedrick had to leave. With Mills and Jordan we would be a much more up the middle team and I think we would be again if he had to take over. But … let's hope this doesn't have to be a decision this year.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I think Coach would go with Jordan if (absit omen!) TaQuon got hurt. The reason is simple: he's had more game experience and he's won a game under tough circumstances. The R-freshman need more game experience before they take the field. And that's why Jones came in; the game was out of reach for the other side, given the way the D was playing, and Johnson had had a series against JSU. No need to put in Jordan; they know what he can do.

If Jordan does end up having to play (absit omen!!), then the team will look different. I think one reason why TaQuon beat him out - besides his injuries, that is - is that Dedrick had to leave. With Mills and Jordan we would be a much more up the middle team and I think we would be again if he had to take over. But … let's hope this doesn't have to be a decision this year.
TM had almost no in game experience. I get that it definitely helps to have in game experience, but I don't think that would be the deciding factor. That's why TM is the starter.

Also most of our plays have been up the middle this year if I'm not mistaken.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Are we trending into 2 year starts being a regular thing for QB? (excl Nesbitt, JT). Wouldn't this affect recruiting? After all, CPJ has always said the best kid on the high school team is the QB right?
Nesbitt(2008-10) and JT(2014-16) started for three years; the only two year starter was Tevin(2011-12)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
TM had almost no in game experience. I get that it definitely helps to have in game experience, but I don't think that would be the deciding factor. That's why TM is the starter.

Also most of our plays have been up the middle this year if I'm not mistaken.
TM is a junior with double the practice reps plus real game reps at Aback. On top of all that, he demonstrated a better command of the offense and an ability to make plays in camp.