Johnson

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I've posted this before but I feel it worth restating. The P5 schools most often tied to Tech when it comes to recruiting have, at minimum, TWICE the numbers of majors offered at Tech. This about for a minute. I don't how intelligent and bright a SA is if he doesn't have an interest in a STEM focused education he has other options at school who are on the same plane as Tech from a quality education standpoint.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Well the Coastal has just gotten a lot stronger in my opinion with the hires at VT & Miami CPJ better gets his work boots strapped on.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
A valid point, and yet another reason why Tech should at least to attempt to recruit more on a national level than just predominantly in the southeast.

Beating Stanford for those scholar athletes out west will be even tougher than beating ND for the same in the Midwest and East. I'd love to recruit every player in Anerica with better than a 3.0.......but we have to recruit smart. The further away we get from Atlanta the tougher the recruiting sale becomes.

Beating Stanford for those scholar athletes out west will be even tougher than beating ND for the same in the Midwest and East. I'd love to recruit every player in Anerica with better than a 3.0.......but we have to recruit smart. The further away we get from Atlanta the tougher the recruiting sale becomes.
Winning would make that a lot easier. You have more name recognition if you win. If we could have followed up last year with similar, or even slightly less, results this year, that would have been a good beginning. Sadly, we didn't do that, so it's back to ground zero.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Here's one fact that keeps coming back to me:

GT is the only STEM school that fields a FBS football team.

*I loosely define STEM school as one that has at least 60% of its degrees granted annually in STEM fields.

Nobody else that fits that profile plays big boy football. Why not? If this does not put our recruiting difficulties into nutshell perspective, nothing does.

It's not just getting in and getting out..... academics. It's the whole ball of wax that comes with being a STEM school. Everything.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
The degree is still a BS, rather than a BA, isn't it?
Common practice among American universities is to designate degrees that involved advanced math requirements a BS. There are many schools that, for example, offer both a BS and a BA in Sociology from the same program, with the BS indicating that you're better prepared for statistically intensive graduate programs because you've already taken the underlying math classes.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

*I loosely define STEM school as one that has at least 60% of its degrees granted annually in STEM fields.

Nobody else that fits that profile plays big boy football. Why not? If this does not put our recruiting difficulties into nutshell perspective, nothing does.

It's not just getting in and getting out..... academics. It's the whole ball of wax that comes with being a STEM school. Everything.

I bet you do "loosely" define it that way, otherwise, that would be false. Lots of FBS schools (very competitive football teams at that) award a good portion of their degrees to STEM related majors.

http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...universities-that-grant-the-most-stem-degrees

Stanford is not too far behind at 54%, and our ACC brethren NC State (48%) and VT (40%) aren't too shabby themselves. BTW, Duke (of the "They gots TONS of liberal arts majors!!!") and Clemson also make an appearance on that list.

The interesting thing is if you do math on that 60%...that means that 40% of the degrees awarded at GT are NOT in STEM fields! Um, wait...I keep reading that GT is covered in this STEM thingy and recruits just don't like it on their shoes. Seems like I've been misled...

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
If CPJ can keep getting us 11 wins every 5 years and beat ugag occasionally then i can live with whatever else happens.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Here's one fact that keeps coming back to me:

Entrance Math SAT gt = 660-760 stanford 700-790
Reading 600-700 stanford 680-780
Total gt 1360 stanford 1480.
Seems about right.
Never met an unimpressive Stanford grad.
THEY HAVE HARD CLASSES FOR SMART PEOPLE.

To SELL enough football recruits they recruits nationally.
Gt plan = even though we have a much more restrictive couse offering we believe that we only need to recruit within ga and near by states
Results. = 4 year recruiting ranking gt 56 Stanford 21.
End season ranking
2015 gt 0 votes S #7,
2014 gt 12 S 22 votes
2013 gt 0 votes S #11
2012 gt 0 votes S #6
2011 gt 0 votes S #7
2010 gt 0votes S #4
2009 gt # 13 S 49 votes
I like their record even though ours is not bad.

If we traded records bds would be sold out for the last 3 years and the forseable future === $$$$$$.
All I recommend is recruit houston dallas like we do tampa . Round trip tickets sw airlines 199$ !!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I bet you do "loosely" define it that way, otherwise, that would be false. Lots of FBS schools (very competitive football teams at that) award a good portion of their degrees to STEM related majors.

http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...universities-that-grant-the-most-stem-degrees

Stanford is not too far behind at 54%, and our ACC brethren NC State (48%) and VT (40%) aren't too shabby themselves. BTW, Duke (of the "They gots TONS of liberal arts majors!!!") and Clemson also make an appearance on that list.

The interesting thing is if you do math on that 60%...that means that 40% of the degrees awarded at GT are NOT in STEM fields! Um, wait...I keep reading that GT is covered in this STEM thingy and recruits just don't like it on their shoes. Seems like I've been misled...
OK, let's bump it up to 70%. Guess what, GT still qualifies. Stanford and the rest are way down from that. I was being generous with the 60%, but hey, lets make it be a vast majority rather than barely over half.

GT is a STEM school. There's no getting around that fact. Stanford is not. Just because they offer STEM degrees doesn't mean they are a STEM school.

Let's just forget my simplistic statement and I'll change it to:

GT is the only schools that grants greater than 70% of its degrees in STEM fields annually and plays big boy football.

There ya go.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
OK, let's bump it up to 70%. Guess what, GT still qualifies. Stanford and the rest are way down from that. I was being generous with the 60%, but hey, lets make it be a vast majority rather than barely over half.

GT is a STEM school. There's no getting around that fact. Stanford is not. Just because they offer STEM degrees doesn't mean they are a STEM school.

Let's just forget my simplistic statement and I'll change it to:

GT is the only schools that grants greater than 70% of its degrees in STEM fields annually and plays big boy football.

There ya go.

Oh, wait...how many of our scholarship players actually graduate with a STEM degree?

Because, afterall, we are talking about the football team right and not the general student population.

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Oh, wait...how many of our scholarship players actually graduate with a STEM degree?

Because, afterall, we are talking about the football team right and not the general student population.

How many of our scholarship players pass calculus?

How many of Stanford's scholarship players pass calculus?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
How many of our scholarship players pass calculus?

How many of Stanford's scholarship players pass calculus?

Oh right...because Calculus is this impossibility of a class that's going to keep us from ever getting anyone to come here, or ever achieving anything on the football field.

Remember, GT had a bowl streak of 17 straight years, and almost 20 years of never having a losing record in the ACC. If Calculus was this impossiblity of a class, you think GT would have been tied for the 2nd longest bowl streak in the nation? I mean, over 100+ teams with less strenuous academics couldn't accomplish that, but somehow GT with Calculus requirements could? Let's not oversell the difficulty of Calculus.

Bottom line is, our coaches need to find 15-20 guys a year out of the tens of thousands of recruits that play football who are capable of handling the academics at GT. Sure that excludes a big pool of kids, but there are more than enough kids willing to do the work. Otherwise, this 3-9 season would have been the norm instead of an outlier the last 20 years.