Johnson

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
With the large number of head coaching vacancies, does Johnson get a call from anyone? If so, which school do you think it'll be? And is there currently a program that would be interested in him and he would leave Tech for?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Does he get a call? I'm sure he does may not from all the big SEC and other big for their britches schools but there are plenty of schools who would want him and his identity. Pretty much any G5 school and some "lower" P5 schools.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
He's said in the past he's received offers from bigger programs for more money (8 or so) and has turned down every one. Though the answer to your question might become apparent soon in another case: Ken Niumatalolo. Coming off a pretty huge season, he would be a great pickup for a team looking to establish some stability.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Now that Navy is in the American Conference it kind of secures Ken more. Programs like UCF adn Tulane don't have anything more to offer Ken now.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
Ken would be a good hire for USCe IMO. I doubt they want to go that route but it would be a good hire.

I doubt Paul wants to leave GT. He probably would have done it by now. He has the talent to make a run at the playoffs in the next few years, if we can get a solid defense established.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Certainly do not know the man, but if you're the coach at Navy I doubt you'd go to an SEC school unless it was Vandy. UVA would be an option, Duke, and probably there's a few others. I just don't think if you coached the Middies you'd end up being interested in managing the uneducated criminals at someplace like the Cesspool, Miami, etc. plus having to deal with an idiotic fan base, etc.

southernhive

Jolly Good Fellow
I agree Ryan. We cannot do the same thing as bigger programs who have more money, with more and better talent pool and expect to compete.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Need for Ken N to stick it out at navy for awhile. If and when CPJ decides to move on that's who I want to take over for him. Maybe even Fritz from GSU. I really think the opinion is our best bet to stay competitive with the big boys.

I think fritz option way easier to recruit to than ours due to more modern look. They also run alot of zone easier on ol and transition to nfl.

I also think when we get ours right its harder to defend, but its also harder for us to get right it seems

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Paul is tied to his offense. Not many schools would see that as an asset. For us, I think it is a good fit for now. Hopefully, he will right the ship and get things back on track in 2016. If not, he will be looking for a job either of his own decision or of the Athletic Association decision to terminate his employment at Tech. You can not justify falling from 11-3 to 3-9 more than once in a stay at a given school. We have to have more consistency than that. I am a Paul Johnson fan but I am Georgia Tech fan first and foremost.

Go Jackets!

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I agree Ryan. We cannot do the same thing as bigger programs who have more money, with more and better talent pool and expect to compete.

This eeyore attitude from GT fans is just disgusting to me. We finished in the AP top 25 for five consecutive years under O'Leary. Not that long ago, Won a National Championship not long before that.

Talent pool? When we stop fishing for marlin in the local pond, maybe things will change. That's another way of saying that when half of our recruits are from more than 300 miles from campus, then we can talk about "talent pool". Go check out where the 1990 two deep was from. People roll out the Academic Excuse (tm) while we recruit some of the worst academic areas in the country.

I will agree on two points. When Homer Rice was AD, the AA was on solid financial footing. Braine came in and turned things around. In a bad way. The two successors to Braine have not improved the situation. If I was on the Athletic Board, I'd make some changes at the AA, starting at the top. But, for now, we don't have money, which is not likely to change under this administration.

The other point I will agree on is that we can't do the same things as other programs. That's why we need a more diversified offense like Friedgen ran. Smart GT kids should be able to run everything from 4 wide to wishbone--and Friedgen literally did that. And a wide open offense would help recruiting.

laoh

Ramblin' Wreck
As he said in the call-in show before the dwag game, who's gonna hire a coach that won 3 games? The big boys won't touch him and CPJ's said he doesn't want to go to one of those factory schools and all the baggage that comes with the type of kids he'll get. Ken's gotta good thing going at Navy... he's getting paid well, Anapolis is a great place, people there like him, he owns the Commander In Chief series, and the Navy kids are gonna come diciplined. Though, I think Navy's success like this year won't come every year; they're in the same shoes as Tech and has their own recruiting challenges. This year is their special year. Maybe next year, they'll be back to 8-4, 9-3. Maybe Hawaii if he wants to go back to the sunshine?