Joe Hamilton will no longer be on tech radio broadcast

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
Per Dickey Sports, "Our company made the decision to move in a different direction. We all love and respect Joe and wish him nothing but the best in the future.”

In corporate-speak, this is known as "Get rid of him."

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
Per Dickey Sports, "Our company made the decision to move in a different direction. We all love and respect Joe and wish him nothing but the best in the future.”

In corporate-speak, this is known as "Get rid of him."
they have 4 on the morning show which is a lot of people. I am sure that costs was part of the consideration. Not as sure about his departure from Ga. Tech radio broadcast.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
they have 4 on the morning show which is a lot of people. I am sure that costs was part of the consideration. Not as sure about his departure from Ga. Tech radio broadcast.
May totally be true. My attention was grabbed by DIckey's position that they would provide no further comment. I think ESPN did the same not too long ago and at least they said, "We were spread too thin" even though it was common knowledge they were trying to get rid of the highest cost talent they had to shave costs.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Did some research.

Feel free to add.

Since most likely we will only hear rumors, i would recommend as tech grads we savor the SEPT 12, 1999 GAME between Gt ( qb Joe Ham - height challenged) and FSU (Chris Wienke 6'5" 26 year old pro ball player).

Bobby Bowden often had a trick play - the first score was a 30 yds by Peter Warrick. (who Wienke convived to not go pro to stay and win it all - he stayed, they did) Bowden put him at qb in a spread formation and no one touched him. Next Gt got ball and Joe thru an 80 yd TD. Big plays continued as each team made big plays. Joe may have been injured at the end of game?? FSU won by 6 but Joe had 4 tds. At the 1999 Heisman -1st Ron Dayne, 2. Joe Hamilton, then M Vick, Drew Brees, Chad Pennington, Peter Warrick.

There is a good documentary on the FSU wall to wall.

But i couldn't find out about the rest of the gt games that lead joe to come in second in hei1sman.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
Yes, Joe is a legend at Tech today, tomorrow and next forever. 680 made a mistake in my humble opinion.
There's being a legend, and there is being good at your job - good enough that you don't get canned.
I admit, I listen to very little sports talk radio, because most of it is just really, really bad. Especially in the Atlanta market. I knew Bell and ran into Cellini every so often when I worked up there in that market. But by and large, with the exception of Dimino, who actually does do his own homework and legwork, most of them are just lazy hacks.
Was Joe good at 680's morning show? I have no idea. Was he a good analyst on Tech football? Honestly, he was ... OK. He loves Tech, so that was never an issue. But I never thought he was the second coming of Kim King in there.
Georgia's radio crew, for what it's worth, sucks. Howard and Zeier are awful. You can never tell what the hell is happening listening to Howard. And I got my own issues with Z. Though I do like Jeff Dantzler in their post game stuff, and some that is because I've known Jeff for a very long time.

gtbeak

Ramblin' Wreck
There's being a legend, and there is being good at your job - good enough that you don't get canned.
I admit, I listen to very little sports talk radio, because most of it is just really, really bad. Especially in the Atlanta market. I knew Bell and ran into Cellini every so often when I worked up there in that market. But by and large, with the exception of Dimino, who actually does do his own homework and legwork, most of them are just lazy hacks.
Was Joe good at 680's morning show? I have no idea. Was he a good analyst on Tech football? Honestly, he was ... OK. He loves Tech, so that was never an issue. But I never thought he was the second coming of Kim King in there.
Georgia's radio crew, for what it's worth, sucks. Howard and Zeier are awful. You can never tell what the hell is happening listening to Howard. And I got my own issues with Z. Though I do like Jeff Dantzler in their post game stuff, and some that is because I've known Jeff for a very long time.
Don't tell anyone, but I really like Jeff Dantzler on the UGa baseball broadcasts. He and his partner (David Johnson, I want to say???) are very entertaining, and other than always calling us just "Tech", never "Georgia" Tech, they are respectful towards our program. I know they hold Wiley Ballard in high regard.

OlaJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Don't tell anyone, but I really like Jeff Dantzler on the UGa baseball broadcasts. He and his partner (David Johnson, I want to say???) are very entertaining, and other than always calling us just "Tech", never "Georgia" Tech, they are respectful towards our program. I know they hold Wiley Ballard in high regard.
Good ol' JD is by far the best announcer on that campus. His own DUI kept him from being a bigger factor with their broadcast team. The thing I love about him is he really respects COFH. Ask him and he will flat out tell you "Tech is our biggest rival." No prentention.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Was in Texas after graduation in 69. But in 91 watching Joe Ham verses FSU (which went wall to wall #1 & undefeated ) made my wife an all gt fan. Joe was awesome - few players can see seconds into the future with a never say die 41-35 close game

Wife got his retirement tee shirt and wears it during away games.

She will be praying for Joe.
You mean 98 or 99?

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Good ol' JD is by far the best announcer on that campus. His own DUI kept him from being a bigger factor with their broadcast team. The thing I love about him is he really respects COFH. Ask him and he will flat out tell you "Tech is our biggest rival." No prentention.

I had a few younger employees from that school in Athens who would always give me grief during the Geoff years. They are young enough to probably have only lived through three losses to us, so they would always talk that talk about how we were irrelevant to them. Well, recently we did a charity event and Mark Richt was there and I asked him in front of these guys who was the biggest rival and he had these guys speechless when he said the same thing. He said “losing to Tech is worse than death. That is precisely why they are our biggest rival.”

Richland County

Jolly Good Fellow
Comparing Joe to Kim is a little unfair. Kim in my humble opinion was part of the best football radio broadcast team ever assembled. Al and Kim are goats. Joe did a good enough job. I've heard a lot worse.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Ballard has been more active on sports broadcasts outside of the Georgia sports scene. His profile has really risen lately.

GT has been a great springboard for a lot of people in the sports broadcasting field.