Joe Hamilton and Herschel Walker...

CoolHandluq

Georgia Tech Fan
If you don't think the ball game is totally different with Gurley in the game than you need to go watch more film of him. He's the best running back we've seen since Adrian Peterson. Oh and didn't take over the ball game in 2013 that we lost against them? He dominated the second half and overtime. Again, I hate the mutts and I'm not trying to defend them but Gurley was just dominate. Our D line is below average and that guy would have ran all over us just like most teams did.

You are joking right? I can think of three running backs who were better in College than Gurley since AP// M. Lynch, Ray Rice, DMC

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@baby. You got a problem with my opinion...take it to pm....or we can meet face to face to discuss it.

I think Gurly was a helluva good back. I also think you are a horrible debater.

Here is a pointer for free. Use stats / info to make your point next time rather than the "bump head" comment

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
In the second half of the UGA game, Chubb was shut down. We were scorched in the first, and contained him in the second. It was because we had an excellent push up front, and were beating their o-line regularly. Gurley would have had to run behind the same line. Gurley was also known for his lack of conditioning. I feel we would have contained Gurley in the 2nd half the same way we contained Chubb. Gurley is a great back, but he's no Bo Jackson. I don't know Gurley could have done anymore than Chubb did.

We got lucky on the UGA goal line fumble. That never should have happened. And UGA got extremely on the JT "fumble." I think if you were to break the game down play by play, those lucky breaks would end in a wash. It's easy to remember when we got hosed, but easy to forget when we caught a break. I don't think it's a slam dunk UGA would have won the game with Gurley. Likely, it would have went down to the wire as well.

I can only compare what he had done to us the past two games. Gurley with the combination of Chubb was deadly. Some guys on this board will never give a UGA player the credit he deserves and I'm fine with that. What is disturbing is when we have fans trying to meet up in person to argue about one another opinion on a stupid football game. Mr.Whiskey Clear has some issues going other than if Gurley man handles our Defense. I think we all agree that he will end up being a NFL all star one day. We know he's the best running back to come through UGA since #34. We know he has put a AW on our defense in the two games he played.

chrsw003

Jolly Good Fellow
It's hard for me to give uga players credit but Gurley was on another level. No doubt in my mind better than Chubb. Glad hes gone. But that doesn't mean they would of beat us. I think we out played them and the refs didn't help us. Doesn't rlly matter though we won. Speaking of nasty college rbs....Darren McFadden

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
@baby In my experience people are more civil with one another when face to face rather than sitting behind a keyboard. For instance...I bet you are less likely to call someone a smart @$$ when face to face rather than when you are typing away. Wasn't a threat. I don't make a habit of engaging in fist fights over a sports debate so lighten up.

And I'll give you another free tip. At least make an attempt at civil discourse if you wish to continue engaging in debates. People will take you more seriously then.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
@baby In my experience people are more civil with one another when face to face rather than sitting behind a keyboard. For instance...I bet you are less likely to call someone a smart @$$ when face to face rather than when you are typing away. Wasn't a threat. I don't make a habit of engaging in fist fights over a sports debate so lighten up.

And I'll give you another free tip. At least make an attempt at civil discourse if you wish to continue engaging in debates. People will take you more seriously then.
I have found the "Ignore" feature very useful, though it makes some conversations one-sided. Actually, that one-sidedness kind of adds some humor to this situation.(y)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I have found the "Ignore" feature very useful, though it makes some conversations one-sided. Actually, that one-sidedness kind of adds some humor to this situation.(y)

This. I'm sometimes surprised when, as here, it hasn't been used.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
We got lucky on the UGA goal line fumble.
Is it really just a case of luck when a defender puts a huge hit on player and causes a fumble? If that were the case then keeping defensive statistics on players who cause fumbles or interceptions would be pointless.

Interesting note on Chub from that game. Just prior to the fumble he ran for no gain and then a one yard loss. After the fumble he was pretty much done for the rest of the game. He did have a ten yard run in the 2nd quarter but I believe it was called back on a false start. To me Chub looked a little like a certain Mississippi State running back who, after a big hit and a fumble, just never looked quite the same again.

orange14

Jolly Good Fellow
I am going to attempt to change gears here a bit and not argue the difference Gurley would have made last year. No matter who was in that game, GT was going to refuse to lose!
Simply put, UGa every year seems to have a superior running back and a some very good backs behind them in waiting. Many of them surely could have been nearly as good as Herschel in stats anyway, but they all seem to have a curious self destruct button.
I would say since Herschel, they have had 6-8 RBs with serious big time potential. They get hurt, steal something, break the rules, go pro before they reach their potential, get a case of the pouts because of the new "Next Herschel" etc.
Gurley was a damn fine RB. He was devastating, but he made as much impact on their overall program as any one of 10 backs that they have had in recent decades.
Nobody wastes talent like the Dawgs in the last 3 decades. It's not that they haven't been good, but you give some of today's coaches the talent that they have had over the last 30 years -and you might be looking at 3-4 MNC's.