Joe Hamilton and Herschel Walker...

I think that the ceiling is very high for JT. He could turn out to be the best GT player in our lifetime, but be underrated nationally because his passing stats are going to be huge. As a sophomore, he ran the offense almost to perfection. Can he get better from there? I think so, but only time will tell.
It's going to be hard to Beat Calvin Johnson. We watched a kid turn into superstar in one night(The Clemson Game).

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
the "next Herschel" has become a bit of a joke, perpetuated mostly by GT fans, imo, and not as much UGAg fans. I actually think most of them kinda learned their lesson calling someone the "next herschel" with Musa Smith, who is the last UGAg RB that I remember them seriously calling that.

They actually referred to Gurley as "Gurschel." Yes, yes they did. My, what could have been for the Mutts.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
That is a strong recommendation.

I am not sure. If you are saying he is one of the top 2 or 3 best running backs (as opposed to players) it gets a little easier to see what you are saying but even then I have trouble ranking the top 10 running backs in any particular order since they all had different times and circumstances and supporting casts in which they made their "statements." Is Doak Walker better than Charles White, or Erik Dickerson better than Jim Thorpe, or Ernie Davis better than O.J. Simpson? How about Doc Blanchard over Jim Brown?

Here is all I am willing to say. Herschel Walker was one of the finest running backs I have ever seen and I would have a hard time ranking anyone ahead of him. But I also could say the same thing about Tony Dorsett, Earl Campbell and Barry Sanders when I watched them in college.

As for Joe Hamilton, who I dearly loved as a player, I always wonder why he gets more love than Shawn Jones? Jones had many of the same running and passing skills, could run a multiple offense to perfection and was a winner in high stakes games. He always feels underestimated to me by Tech fans.

Just rambling here because ranking players and comparing players from different times always leaves me unsatisfied.
I understand why he gets more love - he was a really dynamic player and obviously that 2nd place finish (which we all know should've been 1st) in the Heisman helps a lot with his legacy.

However, I really agree with you in regards to Shawn. Shawn was also tough as nails - he played his senior year with plantar fasciitis. I've seen people that can barely WALK with that.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Walker was a great football player, but at the same time he played there was someone better: Bo Jackson.

Bo was simply a freak of nature, such a great athlete that he regularly awed all his opponents in whatever sport he played. The only football player I can compare him to is Jim Brown, who, like Jackson, was an all-American in two sports (football and lacrosse) and became the greatest running back in NFL history.

Personally, I'd put Walker high up in the top 10 of RBs I've seen in person, probably right behind Gale Sayers. But he wasn't absolutely the best by a long shot.

And a last remark: I feel the same way about Bo and baseball that I feel about Duane Allman deciding to take that last motorcycle ride. Why did you keep playing football, Bo? You could have been the best baseball player in history.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think it's really hard to say who was better when comparing Bo and Hershel in an honest discussion. But anytime a mutt is around when the conversation happens....well then there ain't no doubt at all....its Bo by a mile lol

Architorture23

Jolly Good Fellow
I mean if we're talking about dual sport athletes, Herschel was an AA in track and field and an olympian. He ran the 100m faster than Broderick Snoddy.

I disagree
I hate to be a party pooper but let me just say this as well. Mr.Richt called a timeout with 4 seconds left on the play clock with our kicker not set. They should have let us rush the kick or it probably would have been a delay of game. Back to Gurley playing in the game, I don't our Defense handling the combo of the two backs they had.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
You can play the what if game both ways. What about the b.s. JT fumble that caused a 14 point swing? What about them crushing the longsnapper to block punts? What about JT's forward pass that was called a fumble? In my mind if this game had been officiated competently Richt's idiotic decisions wouldn't have ever come into play.

And besides that most ugag fans claim that Chubb is the better RB anyway

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
As for Joe Hamilton, who I dearly loved as a player, I always wonder why he gets more love than Shawn Jones? Jones had many of the same running and passing skills, could run a multiple offense to perfection and was a winner in high stakes games. He always feels underestimated to me by Tech fans.

Just rambling here because ranking players and comparing players from different times always leaves me unsatisfied.

I don't believe Shawn IS underestimated at all. He has the ultimate trophy...the NC ring. With that being said, that team he played on in '90 was loaded across the board. Probably the best OL in modern Tech history, good skill position guys, the D was as stout as any in the modern era (outside of maybe Roof and the Black Watch unit), great special teams (Sisson), etc. The coaching staff was unreal. Because of the D he had, Jones did not have to do as much as Joe did. Anyone remember sitting through the 6-3 stinker at BDS against VT in November (back before anyone considered VT as a "real" FB program)? If Joe had the supporting cast that Shawn did, we would have had 2 MNC in the last 25 years.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
In my mind if this game had been officiated competently Richt's idiotic decisions wouldn't have ever come into play
And the list of bad calls goes on and on. Go back and watch uga's fake field goal and notice that a Tech defender was tackled on the play to spring the runner. You could have called it clipping, you could have called it holding, you could have called it unsportsman like conduct but no way you call it a "no call."

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
I don't believe Shawn IS underestimated at all. He has the ultimate trophy...the NC ring. With that being said, that team he played on in '90 was loaded across the board. Probably the best OL in modern Tech history, good skill position guys, the D was as stout as any in the modern era (outside of maybe Roof and the Black Watch unit), great special teams (Sisson), etc. The coaching staff was unreal. Because of the D he had, Jones did not have to do as much as Joe did. Anyone remember sitting through the 6-3 stinker at BDS against VT in November (back before anyone considered VT as a "real" FB program)? If Joe had the supporting cast that Shawn did, we would have had 2 MNC in the last 25 years.
I was at 6-3 and froze my 13 yr old butt off.

And the list of bad calls goes on and on. Go back and watch uga's fake field goal and notice that a Tech defender was tackled on the play to spring the runner. You could have called it clipping, you could have called it holding, you could have called it unsportsman like conduct but no way you call it a "no call."
UGA also fumbles the ball twice on the 1 yard line. Let's not act like everything went wrong our way guys. Simple fact is that we don't win that game if Gurley is healthy.

If Richt doesn't call a timeout to "Freeze" our kicker, that extra 5 yards makes the kick 58 yards. What was he thinking? I'm happy he did but dang that was dumb on his part. How many kickers has the leg for that ? No many! Another reason why they should start looking for another coach.

Comparing JT to Joe and projecting JT is nigh impossible. Two completely different offenses for one thing. Joe had 8882 career passing yards. JT has some catching up to do with just 1850 to date. On the other hand, Lil' Joe compiled 1758 career rushing yards. JT has 1320 in just 1+ years. Maybe you could go by wins as a starter and JT is right on pace to meet or exceed that of Joe (5* + 7 + 10 + 8 = 30) . *Joe played in 10 games as a freshman, not sure if starter. If we throw out the freshman games, it looks like JT is a good bet to best his win totals.

Friedgen's ability as a coordinator and innovator is never fully appreciated. I love Shawn Jones, but you can't say he was physically gifted, yet he was coached up to the max. I will say both Hamilton and Thomas will be very very close in the "gamer" category.

Darrell Crawford or Kim King? I think a lot of "legacy" will depend on how the team wins. If Justin Thomas adds 18 or twenty wins to his 11 last season, he would be right up there with the very best in my book, especially if Georgia, Clemson, FSU, ND etc., are among his victims. I am not saying he can't be considered if we don't continue winning big, but it would certainly cement his place in Tech history if he was the starter for 30 +/- career wins.