JHD eligible for 2015

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Won't be eligible unless he gets through summer school, per CPJ per AJC.

http://on-ajc.com/1EyFkkh

Seems that wouldn't have worked here.

Then again, maybe he's technically eligible now, but could lose eligiblity again before fall if he does not make sufficient progress?

From what I understand, if the season were to start, he could play. But if he doesn't maintain what he's got, he's not playing.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Bottom line -
"Hunt-Days, who was declared ineligible in May 2014, can have his eligibility restored after summer school, Johnson said."

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
He seems very determined at this point. It seems highly unlikely he'd let himself be derailed by summer school when he's worked so hard and is so close to realizing his dream. I sure he has a pretty good external support system, as well. (teammates, coaches, academic advisors, tutors, Mom and Dad, etc....)

Usually the fear of letting down others is more motivating than that of letting down yourself. He knows he'd be letting down so many people if he failed to give this summer's academics his full attention.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
To be fair to Jabari there's probably a whole bunch of players who can lose eligibility if they screw up over the summer semester.. That concept is in no way unique to him. As long as he can keep his head on straight he should be fine. NFL riches await, big man!
Thank you. Exactly what I was thinking. We have turned the spot light way up on this guy but now he is little different than most any other player.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
Bottom line -
"Hunt-Days, who was declared ineligible in May 2014, can have his eligibility restored after summer school, Johnson said."
I think "hopeful" would be a good stance for all of us right now. But, it's a cautious hopeful at best. "Carried away" would be a bit premature just yet.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
jhd has posted another video on Instagram. He is so quick. It was posted about a week ago, and it's just him training.

lastoption

Georgia Tech Fan
I joined Instagram just to see the clips he posted from spring practice. Well worth doing so. That footwork drill he posted last week was absolutely ridiculous. He accepted me to follow him within a day or two and it was pretty painless. As a side benefit I got an Instagram account before my 11 year old daughter. . . Actually I am not sure that is something to be proud of come to think of it.

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
BUMP
Tech’s Hunt-Days on track to regain eligibility

Regarding his academic standing, coach Paul Johnson said this week that “I think he’ll be fine.”

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/techs-hunt-days-on-track-to-regain-eligibility/nmz6K/
Friends, far be it for me to be a buzzkill about this. I know how badly we're all wanting him to get his eligibility back. But, I have to say that I'm surprised KS managed to get a headline out of this. Reading between the lines, at most it is possible that those monitoring academics for the team have given CPJ an optimistic nod about how JHD is doing. So, when KS asked him you see the one-sentence response Paul gave.

It is possible that JHD is going to class and that his grades to this point in the summer term are giving some reason for optimism. I don't know.

The reality is, we're simply not going to know anything conclusive for yet another couple of weeks probably. At best. I believe it will be August-the-something before anything final comes out. We went through a fire drill back in May when JHD tweeted out something that was a bit premature. I will throw a minor party IF he does regain it.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Friends, far be it for me to be a buzzkill about this. I know how badly we're all wanting him to get his eligibility back. But, I have to say that I'm surprised KS managed to get a headline out of this. Reading between the lines, at most it is possible that those monitoring academics for the team have given CPJ an optimistic nod about how JHD is doing. So, when KS asked him you see the one-sentence response Paul gave.

It is possible that JHD is going to class and that his grades to this point in the summer term are giving some reason for optimism. I don't know.

The reality is, we're simply not going to know anything conclusive for yet another couple of weeks probably. At best. I believe it will be August-the-something before anything final comes out. We went through a fire drill back in May when JHD tweeted out something that was a bit premature. I will throw a minor party IF he does regain it.

fwiw, I think that caveat is built into the title with the words, "on track," and made explicit in the article with the words: "Johnson said that Hunt-Days’ eligibility will be determined following the end of summer school at the end of July. "

DrJacket

Helluva Engineer
fwiw, I think that caveat is built into the title with the words, "on track," and made explicit in the article with the words: "Johnson said that Hunt-Days’ eligibility will be determined following the end of summer school at the end of July. "
Yes, I read the same thing you did. My point is that the mere fact it generated a headline makes it sound like something it's not.

Last edited:

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Yes, I read the same thing you did. The mere fact that it generated a headline makes it sound like something it's not.

Fair enough. I guess that I don't read into headlines like that. I think Ken sometime makes blog posts on the basis of answers he gets from CPJ to questions being raised in his inbox. People are wondering how JHD is doing, so Ken is responding with the best information he has. If CPJ had said, "Well, we don't know," or "I don't know about that" like he did to questions about KW's eligibility last year at this time, it would have told us something different than his, "I think he'll be fine" regarding JHD. So, yeah, I don't have a problem with the headline or the post.

kyle.smith828

Jolly Good Fellow
PJ did say, "I think he'll be fine." Seems like a positive indicator. To me, that indicates more than just "we don't know." Maybe I'm just &^@$%*& nuts. Probably the latter.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
When I was at Tech, "on track" meant nothing because the very next test could scuttle the entire coarse/grade. I had one class where all we had was a midterm and final.