Jess Simpson hired as defensive assistant coach

slugboy

Staff member
Seems highly likely Santucci is the DC based on the Simpson hire. I’m pretty sure Geep was hired last year before Buster and they had worked together previously so it made sense.
Manny is a defensive coach, and Santucci isn’t going to A&M, so that looks like a good bet.
I’d think it’s someone who knows Simpson.

slugboy

Staff member

MonroeJacket

GT Athlete
Wonder why he’s not going to A&M? Not trying to be a smart***. I’d be very pleased to have him. Just posing the question.

Maybe bigger budget, bigger name?

slugboy

Staff member
Wonder why he’s not going to A&M? Not trying to be a smart***. I’d be very pleased to have him. Just posing the question.

Maybe bigger budget, bigger name?
Elko hired Jay Bateman — a guy he’s known for years.

Could still be someone else. I’ve gotten used to curve balls in our hiring processes.

If true, why not announce it?
Key is on vacation

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Our defense played well in the bowl game after initially not looking good at all. Some one said we were playing in the gaps in the bowl game and this same person said we did not do during the regular season and they thought that made the difference in the LB play and the whole defense. I don't know, just thought it worth passing on what was said. I do think Efford is a player and would probably do well in most defenses.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Our defense, and most teams outside of UGA, Bama, and Michigan, have been lit up for years. The rules simply favor offenses and the offensive coaches are simply ahead of the defensive coaches. The key to GT‘s success is to have a high powered offense to overcome our defense. We saw it with Johnson and now we’ll see it with Faulkner. We were good for 2 out of 4 quarters this year which led us to a .500 record. If we get more consistent we can get to .750.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Then we’d have announced him as a DC hire instead of as an assistant hire
Either way, this defensive assistant hire gives me confidence that our incoming DC/current HC knows what they’re doing if this is one of the guys they wanted to get.

This is a very confident step in the right direction

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Could still be someone else. I’ve gotten used to curve balls in our hiring processes.
I'm pretty good at guessing and after looking him up ,Without a doubt he will coach here.
How do I know cause he has no hair and will fit in.

1703957379363.png

Guess I can hope the new DB coach has hair :)

slugboy

Staff member

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
Our defense, and most teams outside of UGA, Bama, and Michigan, have been lit up for years. The rules simply favor offenses and the offensive coaches are simply ahead of the defensive coaches. The key to GT‘s success is to have a high powered offense to overcome our defense. We saw it with Johnson and now we’ll see it with Faulkner. We were good for 2 out of 4 quarters this year which led us to a .500 record. If we get more consistent we can get to .750.
We need our defense to get in the mid range for Power 5/4 defenses if we are going to have really good years. There are going to be a few games every year where the offense sputters or turns the ball over. There needs to be at least a decent defense. We haven't had that in well over a decade.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
If true, why not announce it?

Probably administrative/procedural hurdles. I believe GT has to post the vacancy for a period of time and the candidate has to go through background checks. Some take longer than others.

Jess Simpson I don't think has been "officially" announced either. Sounds more like a leak that services ran with to break the news.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
This may (or may not) have had some impact on the timing of the public announcement - I see on his Twitter account that he just lost his father on the 28th. My condolences to Jess - this is a rough time of year when this happens.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Probably administrative/procedural hurdles. I believe GT has to post the vacancy for a period of time and the candidate has to go through background checks. Some take longer than others.

Jess Simpson I don't think has been "officially" announced either. Sounds more like a leak that services ran with to break the news.
Yeah since we are with the govt, every single vacancy has to go through an EEO procedure.

It’s kinda dumb in cases like these though.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Not to mention, we played Georgia down to the wire.