Jess Simpson hired as defensive assistant coach

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
Key is really bringing in some local high school coaching legends. Between McFarlin and Simpson, we have some clout now. That should help open some doors and start some conversations on the recruiting trail.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Certainly I do not want to take away anything from CBK, but the commitment from the school to do whatever it takes to get this program to the highest levels is a strong foundation for CBK and company to build on. It sends a message to everyone, coaches, donors and others that the gold mine that GT sports has been sitting on is now able to be tapped. I have felt from the moment it was made that it was the biggest meaningful thing in GT sports in over 50 years. So far the indications are that it is being carried through and I have no reason to believe that it will not continue to do so.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Certainly I do not want to take away anything from CBK, but the commitment from the school to do whatever it takes to get this program to the highest levels is a strong foundation for CBK and company to build on. It sends a message to everyone, coaches, donors and others that the gold mine that GT sports has been sitting on is now able to be tapped. I have felt from the moment it was made that it was the biggest meaningful thing in GT sports in over 50 years. So far the indications are that it is being carried through and I have no reason to believe that it will not continue to do so.
Gold mine what is this you speak of?

Bogey

Helluva Engineer
I think he’s saying that usually the coordinator gets to pick the position coaches, even if they get announced before the coordinator. I promise that Brent didn’t decide to hire Geep Wade without Buster Faulkner’s permission. The biggest exception is probably Chris Weinke because he’s just that good that Key was not willing to lose him. We probably have an agreement in place with a new defensive coordinator who wants Simpson on staff, and we’re waiting to announce the DC.
In the case of Weinke, Key had Chris participate in the interview of Faulkner in Brent's office to determine how the two coaches would interface and was impressed how they interacted together and were on the same page. This is an example of Key's management skills coming in to play during Buster's hiring and provides a good insight in to the details of his hiring process, in my opinion. I have complete confidence in his ability to put together a competent defensive staff as well.

croberts

Ramblin' Wreck
In the case of Weinke, Key had Chris participate in the interview of Faulkner in Brent's office to determine how the two coaches would interface and was impressed how they interacted together and were on the same page. This is an example of Key's management skills coming in to play during Buster's hiring and provides a good insight in to the details of his hiring process, in my opinion. I have complete confidence in his ability to put together a competent defensive staff as well.
We are very lucky that UCF fell apart in 2015. The 0-12 flop in George’s last year made them rethink Brent being the “Head Coach In Waiting”. Also helped in his development with several years under Sabin.
Kinda think things worked out just fine.