Jess Simpson hired as defensive assistant coach

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Looks like a good get.

I don’t know anything about this guy, but the consensus looks like he’s very well respected in the GA HS scene. That seems like a pattern with most of CBK’s hires. Something I said a week or so ago is that it seems like people in the state are actually respecting GT football again, hires like this help the cause. I also said last week that it almost feels too little, too late. Had we been on this track in 2019 we’d be in a helluva lot better place than we are now. With the portal and NIL taking center stage in college football I’m not sure it’s enough to put Tech back into the national conversation consistently.

But it definitely is moving the right direction, which is good. Because it feels like from 2015-2022 we only moved backwards.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Simpson seems pretty good at what he does. He’s coached DL at the HS, college, and NFL levels, so he probably knows how to develop guys from start to finish and can help guys improve no matter where they are in their development. I expect that our DL will improve a lot by the end of next season!

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
What a hire. I am from Gainesville . Jess Simpson is the most popular Georgia high school football coach to this day. I have zero fear going forward losing any staff members. Key has blown me away with hires he has made and this may be his best one yet.
Its hires like this that let's us bring in the higher rated transfers and HS Recruits. Just like we did on Offense with Weinke and Faulkner. This also helped us keep our OL together going into next year.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
2022 TAMU DFEI #44 (CO DC)
2023 DUKE DFEI #27 (Duke DC) *Nominated for Broyles Award

Young up and coming coach with a really good track record.

Just an FYI...seems Duke scrubbed his profile... :unsure:
You’re telling me we have a 2023 Broyles Award nominee on the offensive AND defensive side now? Wow!

malak05

Jolly Good Fellow
You’re telling me we have a 2023 Broyles Award nominee on the offensive AND defensive side now? Wow!
Not officially yet... Alot of smoke with them bringing in Simpson from Duke some of us feel will be makes sense the target is Tyler Santucci who was the Broyles nominee and DC for Duke this past season. Simpson one of his guys coming in

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
The addition of Jess Simpson is really interesting to me. Super excited to see him added to the staff - the job he did at Dook is nothing short of a miracle. He reportedly turned down offers at A&M and Florida (I think) to come here.

Not sure what this means for Marco Coleman, though. We need help on the DL - things are starting to move.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
What a hire. I am from Gainesville . Jess Simpson is the most popular Georgia high school football coach to this day. I have zero fear going forward losing any staff members. Key has blown me away with hires he has made and this may be his best one yet.
Agreed. Jess Simpson is a HS Football legend in this state and he'll open some recruiting doors for us. Rockstar hire.

Key is absolutely the right man to turn this program around - his ability to hit home runs on his staff hires speaks volumes about the job he's doing.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Agreed. Jess Simpson is a HS Football legend in this state and he'll open some recruiting doors for us. Rockstar hire.

Key is absolutely the right man to turn this program around - his ability to hit home runs on his staff hires speaks volumes about the job he's doing.

What makes him a Rockstar? Not arguing, asking because I legit don't know. Eta. More asking what makes him a legend here.

AugustaSwarm

Jolly Good Fellow
What makes him a Rockstar? Not arguing, asking because I legit don't know. Eta. More asking what makes him a legend here.
You probably don't need to look any further than the sack numbers he got out of his position group at Dook.

He won 6 or 7 state titles at Buford as the head coach. Before taking the head coach job, he was widely considered one of the best high school DC in the southeast. He's got a helluva resume...

Edit: I looked it up - 7 state titles in 12 years as HC, 3 more state titles while he was DC.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer

The thing is, he's made clear he's not going to sit still. He's going to keep working to fix what ails us until the job is done. He didn't have any experience as HC before this gig, and he's by necessity training on the job. But he's a quick study and a tireless worker. This team is in good hands. He'll get it done. If something doesn't work, he'll try something else until he finds the solution. And he will find the solution.