Jess Simpson hired as defensive assistant coach

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You probably don't need to look any further than the sack numbers he got out of his position group at Dook.

He won 6 or 7 state titles at Buford as the head coach. Before taking the head coach job, he was widely considered one of the best high school DC in the southeast. He's got a helluva resume...

Ah ok, that's the piece I was missing.

RhoChi

Ramblin' Wreck
Maybe he’s the first step in getting a bigger DC hire? Get some good support staff and the good DCs will wanna come here?

slugboy

Staff member
Maybe he’s the first step in getting a bigger DC hire? Get some good support staff and the good DCs will wanna come here?
You don’t usually hire assistants before you hire a coordinator. That would be a disincentive for a DC. They want some say in their assistants. It’s more of a sign that the defensive coaching staff has been figured out.
It’s possible that it’s the way you described it, but it would be really weird if it was.
Lot of weirdness in this happening during Key’s vacation. Should be a quiet week

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
You don’t usually hire assistants before you hire a coordinator. That would be a disincentive for a DC. They want some say in their assistants. It’s more of a sign that the defensive coaching staff has been figured out.
It’s possible that it’s the way you described it, but it would be really weird if it was.
Lot of weirdness in this happening during Key’s vacation. Should be a quiet week

Entirely possibel our DC is still coaching and he told them who to go after.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Except for literally Buster. It’s not that unusual but I’d imagine the DC-to-be mentioned a name.

gville_jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The addition of Jess Simpson is really interesting to me. Super excited to see him added to the staff - the job he did at Dook is nothing short of a miracle. He reportedly turned down offers at A&M and Florida (I think) to come here.

Not sure what this means for Marco Coleman, though. We need help on the DL - things are starting to move.
The Kelly/Russell YouTube video hinted that they didn’t think Marco would be retained.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
You probably don't need to look any further than the sack numbers he got out of his position group at Dook.

He won 6 or 7 state titles at Buford as the head coach. Before taking the head coach job, he was widely considered one of the best high school DC in the southeast. He's got a helluva resume...

Edit: I looked it up - 7 state titles in 12 years as HC, 3 more state titles while he was DC.
Just going to say he was a legend at Buford in the 2000’s. I guess he still has contacts in HS ball.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Except for literally Buster. It’s not that unusual but I’d imagine the DC-to-be mentioned a name.
I think he’s saying that usually the coordinator gets to pick the position coaches, even if they get announced before the coordinator. I promise that Brent didn’t decide to hire Geep Wade without Buster Faulkner’s permission. The biggest exception is probably Chris Weinke because he’s just that good that Key was not willing to lose him. We probably have an agreement in place with a new defensive coordinator who wants Simpson on staff, and we’re waiting to announce the DC.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
The Kelly/Russell YouTube video hinted that they didn’t think Marco would be retained.
I like Marco as a person and Tech man, but I think Simpson is an upgrade if that’s the case. Our D-Line was not a strength and often a liability, even though Marco recruited most of the players he was coaching. If Key felt that Tillman was performing poorly enough not to be retained, then Marco would likely not make the cut either. The good news is that he’s early in his coaching career and has shown some potential. I think he should be able to at least get a solid G5 job and the opportunity to build a good resume and career. I think he got his career off to a rocky start by working for MoBS, but I hope he ends up having a great one.

gtchem05

Jolly Good Fellow
What makes him a Rockstar? Not arguing, asking because I legit don't know. Eta. More asking what makes him a legend here.
I always thought of Jess Simpson as more of a pop star.
1703912639980.jpeg

Randy Carson

Helluva Engineer
It's been said here and there, but I'm repeating it anyway.

Again and again we see CBK hiring staff with DEEEEEP Georgia high school pedigrees and connections. Why?

Well...

"There is one thing I want everyone in this room to understand and everyone associated with Georgia Tech understands... There is an opponent in this state we will work 365 days a year to defeat. We will work 365 days a year to dominate. When we all wake up in the morning, we want to dominate our opponent. The feeling of dominating your opponent is like no other and whatever team is on our schedule, that will be our goal. That is what we will work towards every single day.

Players in here, understand that. That is our goal and that is our mindset. We have an opponent in this state that is included in that. For 365 days, we will work to dominate that opponent. Understand that."

Asked and answered.

Go Jackets! :buzz:

slugboy

Staff member
I don’t think Buster is an exception to the rule. I think all the offensive coaches were put together at the same time, and there were differences in paperwork and other factors leading to different start dates

There’s an official hire date and then there’s the date that you agree to take the job. Key knew Faulkner before he hired him. Aside from Weinke, everyone hired on offense was hired for the same scheme. Everyone fits together. Do you think it was done without consulting Faulkner?

It’s probably similar here—the defensive coaches are getting hired because they fit together. Key probably knew he was changing defensive staff months ago. Duke coach availability is lucky—I don’t think that would happen if Elko didn’t take the A&M job, and Elko was a backup choice there.

I have seen defensive coaching staffs with two DL coaches, or two DB coaches, or two LB coaches, depending on scheme. Not sure how we will arrange our coaching responsibilities.
I think he’s saying that usually the coordinator gets to pick the position coaches, even if they get announced before the coordinator. I promise that Brent didn’t decide to hire Geep Wade without Buster Faulkner’s permission. The biggest exception is probably Chris Weinke because he’s just that good that Key was not willing to lose him. We probably have an agreement in place with a new defensive coordinator who wants Simpson on staff, and we’re waiting to announce the DC.

I should have read this first, before responding. Yes, this 🔝 . But, it’s a team effort—you want coaches that you and the DC can work with. You don’t want to hamstring yourself or your coordinators. It’s a mutual choice.

It’s possible that Key independently picked a coach he likes, but that would make it a lot harder to hire a DC.

Last edited: