Jemea Thomas tweet

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I agree that in 2009 Dwyer slowed down a half step from the extra weight. Not a good thing.

But he said at the time (if I recall right) that this was a conscious decision. He wanted to go into the season a bit heavier to be at a weight that made it easier to take the pounding as the season wore on and he lost weight. Now, I wouldn't have done that and I think Coach was probably none too pleased. Oth, neither of us were out there carrying the ball 20 times a game with a "Hit me first!" sign on our chest.

Unintended consequence = he carried more weight into the off season before he went to the pros and reported out of shape. The "coaching staff" at Pittsburg has been down on him ever since. Not enough to trade him to some team that could motivate him and get hios career back on track, of course; that goes without saying for an outfit that combines stubbornness with a lack of concern for players. Hope he can get lose form that outfit soon.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I was and still am a fan of Dwyer but I believe his tweets came at the absolute worst time possible. Right after a bowl loss, Vad announcing he's transferring, and right in the heart of the recruiting season. His comments could have waited much longer. Like so many have said he hurt his own draft stock by being out of shape. It had nothing to do with playing in the TO. Had he been in the same shape during 09 and at the NFL combine as he was in 08 he would have been a 2nd round pick.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There's no way Jon gains close to 1400 yards behind what would've been a patchwork O-Line in a pro-style O, with no QB. No way he goes toe to toe with CJ Spiller in ACC PotY conversations, either.

Also as CPJ has said, there has been no back at GT since Dwyer that's as physically gifted at the B-Back position, and who literally won many games for us.

I'm not so sure about that statement. People forget this, but Gailey's feature backs produced at a high level:

2007: Tashard Choice 1,379 yards (1st Team All-ACC), Led ACC in rushing
2006: Tashard Choice 1,473 yards (2nd Team All-ACC), Led ACC in rushing
2005: PJ Daniels 930 yards (2nd Team All-ACC), 2nd in ACC in rushing
2004: PJ Daniels 714 Yards (missed 4 games)
2003: PJ Daniels 1,447 yards (1st team All-ACC), Led ACC in rushing

I think we can all agree, Dwyer was physically more gifted than any of those two. Also remember, the line CPJ inherited was recruited for a pro-style offense, and that line included two future NFL players in Andrew Gardner and Cord Howard who were boll All-ACC level players. There were also some other really talented OLs that just didn't fit CPJ's style.

As far as not having a QB, remember than Sean Renfree was committed here, and he was an Elite 11 QB, and one of the top pro style QBs in that class. Sure, he might have been just a true Freshmen, but he would have been better than anything Gailey ever had. Add that to Demaryius Thomas, who would have been a R-So, and DJ Donley who was a very promising freshman WR in 2007, and I think it would have been one of the more explosive offenses GT has had.

As far as Dwyer, I do agree he could have handled his thoughts on GT better in social media. He needs to understand recruits look up to him as a NFL player and a former GT player. When he makes certain comments, especially regarding RBs, it hurts GT's ability to recruit some.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
The one thing from the CPJ offense that might have hurt Jon is he didn't get to catch many passes. The ones he did wound up being huge gains. But being the B-back allowed him to show that he can handle tough running between the tackles and he has a burst when he gets outside. You also have to be able to block, as our wide receivers who go to the NFL from this system have displayed.

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
The one thing from the CPJ offense that might have hurt Jon is he didn't get to catch many passes. The ones he did wound up being huge gains. But being the B-back allowed him to show that he can handle tough running between the tackles and he has a burst when he gets outside. You also have to be able to block, as our wide receivers who go to the NFL from this system have displayed.
Thats been one thing that has puzzled me about the Bback position since CPJ arrived. Dwyer seemed to be an excellent reciever from the B when given the chance. Wonder why we didnt throw those screen and wheel routes more often. Laskey has also done a good job catching passes from the Bback spot. Would love to see Custis catch some passes from that position.

gtdrew

Banned
Thats been one thing that has puzzled me about the Bback position since CPJ arrived. Dwyer seemed to be an excellent reciever from the B when given the chance. Wonder why we didnt throw those screen and wheel routes more often. Laskey has also done a good job catching passes from the Bback spot. Would love to see Custis catch some passes from that position.
I think Custis is the closest thing to Dwyer we'll have had on campus. I'm sure his workload will closely resemble Dwyer's...

techman78

Jolly Good Fellow
I think Custis is the closest thing to Dwyer we'll have had on campus. I'm sure his workload will closely resemble Dwyer's...
That seems to be the general consensus, hope that is correct. From reports I heard last summer Custis is a boss in the gym. Hope it translates to the field.

Yoda

Helluva Engineer
To me Dwyer '08 had a rare top end "game speed". From Custis' film, I don't see that. That's not saying he won't have more yards that JD. Just a slightly different way of getting there.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Dwyer was an interesting back. He didn't look fast at all, until you realized that nobody ever caught him.

I think the notion that CPJ was the only party that benefitted from the relationship is laughable. Go back and rewind the tape. You will see Dwyer running through massive gaps getting to the second level, where he thrives, solely because of the system. You will also see him on the counter pitch with a numbers advantage he would never have otherwise. Diesel made a lot of those yards, on the second half of runs, due to his own talent, but he got into space because of the system most of the time. I have said this before on other sites and I will say it here too, AA, ZL and DS were all better at getting yards 1-5 than Dwyer was. Yards 5-90 were no contest in JD's favor. I will venture to say that I believe JD got more yards in CPJ's system than he would have gotten in any other, period. He would have been good in a NFL style offense, but not as productive in terms of total yards. Some may disagree and that is fine. I just believe it to be true.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Dwyer was an interesting back. He didn't look fast at all, until you realized that nobody ever caught him.

I think the notion that CPJ was the only party that benefitted from the relationship is laughable. Go back and rewind the tape. You will see Dwyer running through massive gaps getting to the second level, where he thrives, solely because of the system. You will also see him on the counter pitch with a numbers advantage he would never have otherwise. Diesel made a lot of those yards, on the second half of runs, due to his own talent, but he got into space because of the system most of the time. I have said this before on other sites and I will say it here too, AA, ZL and DS were all better at getting yards 1-5 than Dwyer was. Yards 5-90 were no contest in JD's favor. I will venture to say that I believe JD got more yards in CPJ's system than he would have gotten in any other, period. He would have been good in a NFL style offense, but not as productive in terms of total yards. Some may disagree and that is fine. I just believe it to be true.

We will just have to agree to disagree. May eyes tell me he was better than Tashard and he gained over a 1000 yards twice in Gailey's system. Dwyer would have been a 1000 yard rusher wherever he went.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
We will just have to agree to disagree. May eyes tell me he was better than Tashard and he gained over a 1000 yards twice in Gailey's system. Dwyer would have been a 1000 yard rusher wherever he went.

This. Gailey was pretty good with the run game on every level...and his history with feature backs speaks for itself as I pointed out in a previous post.

Add to that the explosive pieces around Dwyer had Gailey stayed, and it would have been hard to commit extra guys to stop the run. Dwyer was a very special talent that probably could have played in pretty much every system there is.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
True, but would he have been a 1400 yard rusher? That is the question.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Jemea was not only a great player, but he also has gratitude in his heart for GT. He won't be one of those douches in the NFL who shout out their high school or middle school when announcing themselves in the lineup.

cyptomcat

Ramblin' Wreck
Jemea was not only a great player, but he also has gratitude in his heart for GT. He won't be one of those douches in the NFL who shout out their high school or middle school when announcing themselves in the lineup.
Or one of those douches who can't compliment a GT player without insulting another one.