Jemea Thomas tweet

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
The new Monken IMO. We've needed the good cop routine for a while. I hope he is able to bring balance to the team and keep their heads right.

It Also helps that he not only played but played here. In today's day and age of questioning authority at all times unless they "know what you're going through," if ant help but think this hurts CPJ ion controlling the morale.

gtdrew

Banned
The new Monken IMO. We've needed the good cop routine for a while. I hope he is able to bring balance to the team and keep their heads right.

It Also helps that he not only played but played here. In today's day and age of questioning authority at all times unless they "know what you're going through," if ant help but think this hurts CPJ ion controlling the morale.
I think it helps. Even if a team is divided, if they see that Roof absolutely, 100% agrees w CPJ, they're more likely to believe in the whole system. I really think the "disunited team" narrative is pretty overblown, especially now that Vad is gone. I think that's something that CPJ haters want you to believe is true that hasn't been a big factor since Nick Claytor left GT.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
Pretty ungrateful, if you ask me.
Dwyer did more to make cpj successful than cpj did to make Dwyer successful. We had thousand yard rushers in the three seasons prior to cpjs arrival. Talent - not some system - is the main reason players succeed.

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
The big difference is CPJ never dissed Jon in the media, social or otherwise.
I completely agree - Dwyer should have NEVER done that - even though I completely agree with his views. But the statement was made by gtdrew that implied that Dwyer should be grateful to CPJ. My response is CPJ should thank his lucky stars every night that Dwyer decided to stay. He could have transferred and not lost any eligibility. Just about every college wanted him. He decided to make it work at Tech - and to his credit he became probably one of the top five backs in the history of our fine institution. Dwyer was a generational player, and I don't think CPJ appreciated what he had with Dwyer while he was here. But he sure understands it now.

And while Dwyer is wrong for what he is saying, could it just be that Dwyer really does love Tech and feels like that best thing for the institute he bled for is to make a coaching change? Just a thought.

gtdrew

Banned
I completely agree - Dwyer should have NEVER done that - even though I completely agree with his views. But the statement was made by gtdrew that implied that Dwyer should be grateful to CPJ. My response is CPJ should thank his lucky stars every night that Dwyer decided to stay. He could have transferred and not lost any eligibility. Just about every college wanted him. He decided to make it work at Tech - and to his credit he became probably one of the top five backs in the history of our fine institution. Dwyer was a generational player, and I don't think CPJ appreciated what he had with Dwyer while he was here. But he sure understands it now.

And while Dwyer is wrong for what he is saying, could it just be that Dwyer really does love Tech and feels like that best thing for the institute he bled for is to make a coaching change? Just a thought.
LOL. Ok. Some of you just think CPJ is this ego-driven maniac. CPJ isn't responsible for any of the struggles in the NFL that Dwyer seems to want to blame him for. CPJ didn't drive him to Golden Corral every day after he declared for the draft. CPJ appreciated Jon plenty. I think reality has kicked Jon's *** a little bit, and I'm not sure he is very realistic about the cause of his NFL failure...

91Wreck

Jolly Good Fellow
LOL. Ok. Some of you just think CPJ is this ego-driven maniac. CPJ isn't responsible for any of the struggles in the NFL that Dwyer seems to want to blame him for. CPJ didn't drive him to Golden Corral every day after he declared for the draft. CPJ appreciated Jon plenty. I think reality has kicked Jon's *** a little bit, and I'm not sure he is very realistic about the cause of his NFL failure...
JD's struggles in the NFL are completely on JD - not CPJ. But that wasn't the point of my post. The point of my post is that Jon's success in college was also all him and NOT because cpj turned him into a great back. Again, Jon shouldn't trash cpj, but he also doesn't owe cpj any gratitude. It should be the other way around.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I like Jon, and I appreciate everything he did for Tech. He has the right to his opinion, but I wish he would exercise a little more tact in expressing it. I am a say what you mean and mean what you say type of person. If he thinks CPJ should go he should just say it point blank and be done with it. I am fine with that. Criticizing and vaguely alluding to changes in coaches being needed via social media do more harm than good IMO. That just stirs the pot.

Back to Jemea. I think NFL teams would be crazy to let him slip away. He works hard, he has a great attitude, he plays smart and physical. Talent alone will not make you a good NFL player. You must be mentally checked in, and work your tail off every day to be great. As much natural talent as Calvin has, he would not be as successful as he is without his work ethic.

A side note. I think players coming from Tech are better prepared for success in the NFL because they know how to manage their time and are used to putting in the hard work off the field.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
My 2 cents on Jon Dwyer: imo, he didn't reach his full athletic potential. Remember the off-season prior to the '09 season? Jon was coming off one helluvan impressive year. He was explosive and fast, an awesome thing to behold. We all expected him to take it another step further and be a Heisman candidate. That never happened and my guess is most of that was on Jon. In fact, not only did he not step forward, he stepped back. Now with someone of Jon's talent, I'll take Jon at 80% over almost any other back and he still had a damn good year. However, who knows what could have been. It was plainly obvious to even the casual fan that he had lost a step and was trying to "freelance" instead of take what the play gave. Heck, even his teammates had to call him out publicly about this very thing.

My guess is coach was on him constantly about this behind closed doors and Jon didn't like it. He saw it as lack of gratitude or appreciation or whatever. I say it's the coaches job to ride a player that's severely under-reaching his potential, especially when that player has the potential to be an all-time great in the history of the college game. Sadly, it didn't work.

Imo, Jon needs to thank Nesbitt and Bay Bay. Those two guys kept the defenses honest and not sitting on the dive. Remember how many times Nesbitt abused the midline (wish we still had that threat, but that's another thread)? Remember Bay Bay catching all those deep balls and smoke routes? We also had a pretty darn good triple option threat with the pitch backs on those teams. Remember Roddy Jones and Ant? Defenses couldn't focus too much on Dwyer or they'd get burned big time. Not only that, our offense was still brand new to opposing defenses and their coordinators. They didn't have a mastery of the cut block avoidance technique like they do now. All that benefitted our O and especially our Bback. Yes, he took pounding, but it's football.

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
The JD vs. CPJ feud, is all about the "us versus them mentality" from former players regarding the system and CPJ. Both Jon and CPJ benefited from each other. There's no way Jon gains close to 1400 yards behind what would've been a patchwork O-Line in a pro-style O, with no QB. No way he goes toe to toe with CJ Spiller in ACC PotY conversations, either.

Also as CPJ has said, there has been no back at GT since Dwyer that's as physically gifted at the B-Back position, and who literally won many games for us.

TheTaxJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
JD's struggles in the NFL are completely on JD - not CPJ. But that wasn't the point of my post. The point of my post is that Jon's success in college was also all him and NOT because cpj turned him into a great back. Again, Jon shouldn't trash cpj, but he also doesn't owe cpj any gratitude. It should be the other way around.

LOL, you think CPJ needs to show Jon Dwyer gratitude? For what? Having a great season, then showing up the following two fat and out of shape?

I don't see why either of them needs to publicly show any gratitude towards the other. Dwyer came here, did great and screwed up his chance in the NFL. PJ did nothing to hamper him.

I don't know why you think PJ needs to kiss his ***. PJ has said many times that Dwyer was a great back while at GT. What more gratitude do you think he needs?

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
My 2 cents on Jon Dwyer: imo, he didn't reach his full athletic potential. Remember the off-season prior to the '09 season? Jon was coming off one helluvan impressive year. He was explosive and fast, an awesome thing to behold. We all expected him to take it another step further and be a Heisman candidate. That never happened and my guess is most of that was on Jon. In fact, not only did he not step forward, he stepped back. Now with someone of Jon's talent, I'll take Jon at 80% over almost any other back and he still had a damn good year. However, who knows what could have been. It was plainly obvious to even the casual fan that he had lost a step and was trying to "freelance" instead of take what the play gave. Heck, even his teammates had to call him out publicly about this very thing.

My guess is coach was on him constantly about this behind closed doors and Jon didn't like it. He saw it as lack of gratitude or appreciation or whatever. I say it's the coaches job to ride a player that's severely under-reaching his potential, especially when that player has the potential to be an all-time great in the history of the college game. Sadly, it didn't work.

Imo, Jon needs to thank Nesbitt and Bay Bay. Those two guys kept the defenses honest and not sitting on the dive. Remember how many times Nesbitt abused the midline (wish we still had that threat, but that's another thread)? Remember Bay Bay catching all those deep balls and smoke routes? We also had a pretty darn good triple option threat with the pitch backs on those teams. Remember Roddy Jones and Ant? Defenses couldn't focus too much on Dwyer or they'd get burned big time. Not only that, our offense was still brand new to opposing defenses and their coordinators. They didn't have a mastery of the cut block avoidance technique like they do now. All that benefitted our O and especially our Bback. Yes, he took pounding, but it's football.

Yep,Cheese--Dwyer looked 20 lbs heavier that last season and PLAYED like it.Scary to think what he could have done without the weight semi-unstoppable.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
I know that we are way off topic, but does anyone remember CPJ talking about getting Dwyer to add some weight after the '08 season? I wish I could go back and find the article talking about it. He probably wanted him to add some muscle, but Dwyer thought he meant to frequent the all you can eat buffets.