Jared Ivey has entered the transfer portal

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I understand Ivey getting D1 offers as a transfer. He’s an NFL body who has some production. I just can’t wrap my head around why any major factory type program would wanna throw any significant NIL money at him. Why him? Do y’all think he starts if we have a healthy Keion White last year? Who knows.

Having said that, I wish we still had him, but I think we’ll be ok in that department.

Keion White 6’4 267
Jordan Domineck 6’3 235
Kevin Harris 6’4 235
Kyle Kennard 6’5 235
Josh Robinson 6’4 254
Sylvain Yondjouen 6’4 245
Right now only Domineck was as productive as Ivy.So he is a BIG loss.Especially if he ends up playing at Ole Miss AGAINST us next yr. hmmm

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I understand Ivey getting D1 offers as a transfer. He’s an NFL body who has some production. I just can’t wrap my head around why any major factory type program would wanna throw any significant NIL money at him. Why him? Do y’all think he starts if we have a healthy Keion White last year? Who knows.

Having said that, I wish we still had him, but I think we’ll be ok in that department.

Keion White 6’4 267
Jordan Domineck 6’3 235
Kevin Harris 6’4 235
Kyle Kennard 6’5 235
Josh Robinson 6’4 254
Sylvain Yondjouen 6’4 245
It's not Ole Miss that would be throwing any money at him. It would be fans of Ole Miss who have created an NIL.
They have to operate independently from the school. Schools are not allowed to pay players (or have NIL's)- private individuals now are.

Ivey also reportedly has an offer from Miami as well.
My take on the portal is to look at where they are transferring from and to and whether they contributed where they were and in what capacity. Are they transferring up, down or laterally.
Gibbs clearly was a transfer up. Ivey is looking like a transfer up (with schools like Ole Miss, Oregon and Miami involved).
So those are players that schools at the top of the food chain see as guys they want. Those are the ones you want to limit the losses.

Now GT has alot of guys coming from better programs - Quick, Tchio, Harvey Gee. What you have to wonder a little is whether they will become big contributors for you or not. The best ones that transfer out of the upper echelon schools tend to transfer to other upper echolon schools. When you see guys going from OK to USC, or GA and LSU to AL etc. Those are the kids that the best programs in the country want to get into their program. Those are more highly regarded and expected to contribute more than players who transfer from a higher school to a lower school.

I'd consider Hall and Benson to be lateral transfers and Gibson is a transfer up.
All 4 of those kids from the power schools could end up being major contributors at GT, or none of the 4 might, we just have to wait and see. Harvey and Gee are two young guys so you can't really say anything about them either way, other than when they transferred out they didn't go to another high level school, they went to a lower level school. That could be a benefit to GT or not. Quick and Tchio have had more time at their schools and simply didn't crack the lineup so the hope is coming to a lower level school they can play more.

Right now I would say that GT is probably not much better or much worse based on what has transpired in the portal. Now if some of these young men who come to GT end up being productive starters than GT may ultimately end up ahead, but if they don't then GT likely ends up with a net loss.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
It's not Ole Miss that would be throwing any money at him. It would be fans of Ole Miss who have created an NIL.
They have to operate independently from the school. Schools are not allowed to pay players (or have NIL's)- private individuals now are.

Ivey also reportedly has an offer from Miami as well.
My take on the portal is to look at where they are transferring from and to and whether they contributed where they were and in what capacity. Are they transferring up, down or laterally.
Gibbs clearly was a transfer up. Ivey is looking like a transfer up (with schools like Ole Miss, Oregon and Miami involved).
So those are players that schools at the top of the food chain see as guys they want. Those are the ones you want to limit the losses.

Now GT has alot of guys coming from better programs - Quick, Tchio, Harvey Gee. What you have to wonder a little is whether they will become big contributors for you or not. The best ones that transfer out of the upper echelon schools tend to transfer to other upper echolon schools. When you see guys going from OK to USC, or GA and LSU to AL etc. Those are the kids that the best programs in the country want to get into their program. Those are more highly regarded and expected to contribute more than players who transfer from a higher school to a lower school.

I'd consider Hall and Benson to be lateral transfers and Gibson is a transfer up.
All 4 of those kids from the power schools could end up being major contributors at GT, or none of the 4 might, we just have to wait and see. Harvey and Gee are two young guys so you can't really say anything about them either way, other than when they transferred out they didn't go to another high level school, they went to a lower level school. That could be a benefit to GT or not. Quick and Tchio have had more time at their schools and simply didn't crack the lineup so the hope is coming to a lower level school they can play more.

Right now I would say that GT is probably not much better or much worse based on what has transpired in the portal. Now if some of these young men who come to GT end up being productive starters than GT may ultimately end up ahead, but if they don't then GT likely ends up with a net loss.
Kind of hard to argue with someone when they cover all the bases 😊

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
No, credibility is the recruits, parents, and HS coaches believing what he says when he’s sitting in their living rooms or offices. So far, there has been no indication that the recruits, their parents, or their coaches don’t believe what he’s saying.

The only ones that seem to be butt-hurt are the fans. Understandably.
You are a good fan but your idea of credibility is just different from mine. So you are saying Collins sat in those living rooms and told them he really didn’t know how to coach and they would be on one of the worst teams in the ACC if they came to GT? His credibility is non-existent at this point. I think we differ because you believe words and intentions lead to credibility. I believe actions lead to credibility. It’s like someone who comes to the office Monday morning and says “I ran a marathon this weekend”. Then they proceed to tell you how it was a charity event where they ran/walked it in 6 hours. Great intentions, but a total fabrication that they “ran a marathon”.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
You are a good fan but your idea of credibility is just different from mine. So you are saying Collins sat in those living rooms and told them he really didn’t know how to coach and they would be on one of the worst teams in the ACC if they came to GT? His credibility is non-existent at this point. I think we differ because you believe words and intentions lead to credibility. I believe actions lead to credibility. It’s like someone who comes to the office Monday morning and says “I ran a marathon this weekend”. Then they proceed to tell you how it was a charity event where they ran/walked it in 6 hours. Great intentions, but a total fabrication that they “ran a marathon”.
As I wrote, "there has been no indication the recruits...don't believe what he's saying." To me, saying he's not a credible coach is not the same as not having credibility.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
What hurts us the most with Ivey is he was the edge setting SDE. He wasn’t there for his pass rushing, those saying “He only had a low number of sacks” need to watch the tape. He did a lot for us in the run game. He also did a good job every once in awhile if we sent A Gap pressure and dropped into a soft flat coverage. K. White is really going to have to step up.

TromboneJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
What hurts us the most with Ivey is he was the edge setting SDE. He wasn’t there for his pass rushing, those saying “He only had a low number of sacks” need to watch the tape. He did a lot for us in the run game. He also did a good job every once in awhile if we sent A Gap pressure and dropped into a soft flat coverage. K. White is really going to have to step up.
Keion White, Sylvain Yondjouen, Josh Robinson, Grey Carroll. Somebody needs to step up. Or maybe TK Chimedza, Zeek Biggers, and/or Mike Lockhart can step up on the interior to take some pressure (no pun intended) off the DEs.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
They all need to step up!
They have eaten at nutrition table, exercised, been coached for another 365 days. A groups step up w be huge from a player stand point.

Coaching needs to step up. We need the defensive calls where we do more than bull rush and stay in lane .
Older players, better coaching and some lb and db near los could make Jerry and the rest of us happy .
Unfortunately we are so bummed out we will wait till we see it.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
They have eaten at nutrition table, exercised, been coached for another 365 days. A groups step up w be huge from a player stand point.

Coaching needs to step up. We need the defensive calls where we do more than bull rush and stay in lane .
Older players, better coaching and some lb and db near los could make Jerry and the rest of us happy .
Unfortunately we are so bummed out we will wait till we see it.

Our best athletes and pro prospects are on defense. There is no excuse why that side has played so poorly from a talent standpoint.

Geoff Collins needs to pull a CPJ: Step back and focus on his specialty, let his OC handle the offense, and just coach the sh!t out of the defense. Time to stop being everything to everyone and get the defense playing to his "Minister of Mayhem" reputation he had before he came here. Let his OC Long earn that big pay check.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
How bad do they want to win? How much desire to make a play? Those are intangibles that define greatness in addition to physical ability.