Jamey Chadwell's success at Liberty

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Liberty is 10-0 right now. TEN wins. ZERO losses ... (including a win over Bowling Green last week) ... all of which goes right along with past success.
I like Key. I'm pulling hard for him. I see reasons for optimism. Yet, I also regret not hiring Chadwell. Is it possible to have both of those feelings ... apparently so.

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
I am right there with you. I like Key, and I am behind him 100%... but feel like we missed out on something real good with Chadwell. I don't know why it didn't happen...money or something else, but I wish we could have made it happen.

CPJacket

Georgia Tech Fan
Liberty is 10-0 right now. TEN wins. ZERO losses ... (including a win over Bowling Green last week) ... all of which goes right along with past success.
I like Key. I'm pulling hard for him. I see reasons for optimism. Yet, I also regret not hiring Chadwell. Is it possible to have both of those feelings ... apparently so.
I totally understand. Question is, if we got Chadwell, would we have King? If not, what QB could he have attracted. I know some are hot and heavy on Pyron, but there's a reason he's not the starter here YET.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
I like Chadwell. IMO he is an up and coming coach that will be hired away from Liberty in a couple of years if he keeps it up. I would have been fine with him being hired here. That being said, while Liberty is 10-0 right now, they have one of the most favorable schedules in the nation this year. Their SoS ranking is anywhere from 110-133 depending on the rating system.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
And you do realize that he will leave for TA&M after 1 year right? What good would that have done for GT?
Some are saying Elko for A&M. Who knows.

I like the thought experiment of your question though. What record would he have needed to achieve at GT in order for Texas A&M to prioritize him in one year? Would we take that knowing that we are staring at 6-6 with Key? Would Chadwell have set us up for future HC hiring success because he demonstrated the art of the possible at GT?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
Some are saying Elko for A&M. Who knows.

I like the thought experiment of your question though. What record would he have needed to achieve at GT in order for Texas A&M to prioritize him in one year? Would we take that knowing that we are staring at 6-6 with Key? Would Chadwell have set us up for future HC hiring success because he demonstrated the art of the possible at GT?
Also in this thought experiment, assuming that success and crazy money coming at him, it's not guarantee that he would've left GT, but if he did, GT would be receiving a HUGE buyout payment which would also make a significant impact the financial situation of our program for the next hire and forseeable future.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I kinda touched on this in another thread.

Chadwell was my #1 choice, so no surprise that I keep tabs on Liberty. What hurts about Chadwell for me is we were thisclose to hiring him, but financial commitments got pulled from GTAA if Batt was going in that direction. The whole "if he keeps his defensive staff it's a no go" was just smoke to cover for some people wanting their guy. People were also worried Chadwell was riding the back of his QB at Coastal...but look what he's doing with another QB. The man can coach football.

James Madison's Cignetti was on my list as well. JMU is also undefeated.

Willie Fritz has Tulane 10-1, and that one loss is to a team we got smoked by. We all know what happened with Fritz.

That said, I was also rooting for Key (under certain circumstances). I really like what he's building here. People need to understand that progress is rarely a straight line going up. Our offense is trending to be one of the better offenses in the country, and we have the most important building block any offense can have: a very good QB. Our defense needs a LOT of work, and Key will need to address that this offseason. The promising thing is Key did not wait to make a change, and he's shown he's willing to make hard decisions for the betterment of the program. I LOVE Chadwell's offense, and I think it would have given us that schematic advantage CPJ and Friedgen gave GT...however, I've always said there's more than one way outside of the option to give GT a schematic advantage. I like what Faulkner is doing, and I think this offense is only going to get better. We have some really exciting pieces, and we have some good pieces coming in this recruiting cycle. I was skeptical of the Faulkner hire, but I've been pleased with what I've seen.

GT is one win away from bowl eligibility, and we were close to having an 7+ win season. We don't know what Key's ceiling is yet. I think he can easily win us 8+ games a year. I doubt he misses many bowl games in the future. Is his upside as high as some others that GT was looking at? We'll see.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Key is building the program from the ground up, along with Batt, for the long haul. Not sure if we would get that with Chadwell. Plus his wife hates big cities, much prefers small towns. I think Miss State much better fit for him.
Be a great hire for them! Leach was my favorite college coach and the poor guy that replaced him was doomed from the start!

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
I'm not under any delusion that we would be 10-0 right now if we had hired Chadwell, or that we would necessarily even have our current record, but the guy is a very good coach and has improved his teams and won basically everywhere he's been. He's currently 41-6 over his last 4 seasons, and has 10+ win seasons at 4 different schools, with six 10+ win seasons since 2011.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Also in this thought experiment, assuming that success and crazy money coming at him, it's not guarantee that he would've left GT, but if he did, GT would be receiving a HUGE buyout payment which would also make a significant impact the financial situation of our program for the next hire and forseeable future.
These are fun questions. And not because I’m unhappy with Key.

The Tech psyche is forever addicted to the ongoing question of what is the secret sauce that can win at an academically challenging school with a limited curriculum in an age of semi-pro ball.

Bleedwhiteandgold

Georgia Tech Fan
I totally understand. Question is, if we got Chadwell, would we have King? If not, what QB could he have attracted. I know some are hot and heavy on Pyron, but there's a reason he's not the starter here YET.
My understanding is Key had very little involvement with Haynes coming to Tech. It was Hayne's relationship with Buster Faulkner and Chris Weinke that brought him to Tech. Regardless, if Chadwell was hired, as long as Weinke stayed we had a shot, if not and coupling that with not hiring Buster and I don't think he comes here for Key alone.